Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding Hire or Buy?

Options
  • 20-06-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Any advice on whats best,hire or buy for selfbuild?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

Depends on how long you need the scaffolding up. I got quoted €1,500 for a week from a scaffolding company for supply and scaffold, but he gave me the scaffolding for €280 for the week and I put it up myself. Just hope that the Health and Safety Officer doesn't visit you and know one has an accident as it won't be certified unless you have the scaffolding ticket.

The rest of the trades that came in - slater, plasterer, brickie - had their own scaffolding. So I only needed it for the week that the timber frame was going up. Saved me a fortune.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My brother had a similar situation, but because of the house size would require it up for quite a while. Turned out a cousin was planning to build his own house a year down the line, so they split the cost and both got use out if. I think they sold it on in the end, which further increased the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

barry75 wrote:
    Any advice on whats best,hire or buy for selfbuild?

IM YOP here i think he ended up buying his..

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Barry,
    I ended up buying mine. The weeks I had projected needed the scaffolding increased due to some of my builders getting delayed. In the end if I'd hired it it would have cost me more to hire than buy.
    On that note I'm selling mine in the next 2 weeks so if ur interested in talking, shoot me a PM. As stated previously, YOP also bought his and he could also offer advice.

Cheers,
    Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There is a chap Alan Kiely between Roscrea & Birr that will sell you scaffolding for Eu10 a piece, keep it as long as you like and drop it back to him when finished and get 8 euro a piece back. I think his no. is (0505) 22501

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yip, we bought the scaffolding between 2 of us, my mate was building first so he purchased it and I gave him money towards it in the end.
    I think it was Connaught scaffolding who he purchased off.

I got quotes from Indian for the quick stage and it was working out roughly 18k euro for a container, which enough for 3 two storey houses. Brand new.

If you got 3 lads who were building to bulk buy you will sell it without any problems once u are finished.
    Ours was a TF so we needed it from start.

We also put it up ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Where are you left insurance wise if you buy it and put it up yourself?

I'm aware of insurance for builds for example that costs in the region of 2K. This covers fire, theft and has a element of public liability cover too. Would this be sufficient (obviously this will vary company to company) to cover you? Particularly if a qualified scaffolder is NOT used?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had a guy with me who had the Safepass course on scaffolding erecting so he signed it off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Thanks lads for all the information,think i will buy and try and sell it on again.Would 3500 -4000 euro cover the cost for buying the scaffolding for your normal size dormor?Or can it be got for less?

You wold be nearer to about 5k I would say but shop around and haggle like fook

• Advertisement
Advertisement