Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a convert

Options
  • 20-06-2006 4:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

right well ya managed to convert me, i had been a private server man for a few months...i'm sick of the lag/downtime/low pops and taking the dive into ptp.

few questions.

whats the deal with servers, what are each like?
    has anyone else moved from private if so, whats the differences?
    anywhere i can pick it up cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You just basically described the differences between private servers and Blizzards ones, the arugments speak for themselves:

lag

Is still a factor on blizzards servers but no where near as much on private servers. Remember blizzard has millions to pump back into their infrastructure (not to suggest that they do, but merely than they can) which is infinitely more than private servers can afford to spend on theirs.

downtime

Now the server populations are under control, down time really only consists of once a week (tuesday night-wednesday morning) from about 3-4am (GMT) to 11-12. I'm really not 100% as I'm rarely on at those times anymore and I dont even notice.

low pops

Any time, day or night you will have vastly more people online on a blizzard server than on a private server, thats really all there is to say about that.

My understanding is that the game runs at about €40-45 at least I got mine for €45 the day after the Euro servers were launched, with that said I cant really see the price dropping any, any time soon. The biggest expense is really in the subscription fees which can be reduced even further by buying in bulk.

I hope this answers your questions and removes the need for further discussion of privatley "owned" servers, which I believe Koneko has already expressed board's WoW community's, dislike for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i can understand why they are wanted. well i found the gfame for 17.99 so i'm getting it there. is there ways to stop your sub, ie if i went away for a month can i say it and i wont be charged?how many servers are there to choose from? can i jump between them? whats the more popular ones? have the new characters come in yet?(boold elves or something?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You can pick whatever server you want from a list (as long as the server isn't classes as "full"). Each server will tell you a rough estimate of the population "High/Medium/Low" before you pick it.

PvE servers - You can only be attacked by a member of the opposite faction if you turn your pvp on or enter one of their cities
    PvP servers - Any member of the opposite faction can attack you at any time, except when you are in your own city (afaik)
    RP servers - The same as the other servers except one is expected to act in character when playing, in that you are actually a dwarf warrior looking to go slay a dragon who ate your brother etc.... strict character naming rules on these servers (afaik).

Once you create a character on a server you cannot move it to another server (unless blizzard allows migration from that server to certain others, but this may only happen once a year for a week on a particular server, and its usually only the ones that are overpopulated). You can however create another character on a different server with your first character being deleted.

New races, Blood Elves and Dreanei will be coming out in the expansion (which you'll need to buy seperatly). Release date is 4Q 2006 atm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ok cool that cleared pretty much everything up, what servers are most the boardies on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

alot on outlan, some on emeris

• Advertisement

i'm thinking maybe i should start in a new realm, any opinions? or should i go with a irish laden server for more fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

sunzz wrote:
    alot on outlan, some on emeris
    you mean a lot on outland and your-crappy-mage-on-emeriss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Best to join a new server to get a feel for the difference in pop between private and real...

Don't join an 'old' server like Outland, where most players will be in established and long-running guilds.

aye thats what i thought, what are the new servers? jeez i'm a seasoned rpger, and i feel like such a noob. Rose online was never this big, neither if Flyff, should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

you mean a lot on outland and your-crappy-mage-on-emeriss :D

:( Myself, Damo and the rest of the Irish Emeriss players don't count now? :(

And come back Barra - we need your accent on Vent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

aye thats what i thought, what are the new servers? jeez i'm a seasoned rpger, and i feel like such a noob. Rose online was never this big, neither if Flyff, should be interesting
    IIRC, the newest ones are Tarren Mill, Kilrogg and Aerie Peak. I think there's a couple more from the last couple of months, but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Jaedenar, New server, good few Irish players on it. However since I started playing on it the population has doubled, I have noticed that there seem to be a lot more level 60's floating about now

It's a good time to join because were just starting to make some cash on the AH at this point. When I started it was very hard to sell items.

Kilrogg's the newest carebear server (normal), while Jaedenar's one of the newer pvp ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You can pick whatever server you want from a list (as long as the server isn't classes as "full")

Actually you can roll new characters on Full servers,

Just you get a warning about queues before you make the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

You can however create another character on a different server with your first character being deleted.

Not true. You can have character on up to 10 server at the same time. And on each server you can have up to 10 characters. Meaning at any point you can have up to 100 character. You only have to delete them should you want a new one after that.

Thought the limit was 50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

**** YOU KIL :D my mage has some ncie tier2 gear now, ill go back playing it after 1.11 elem for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

play on outland with the big boyz darren.

actually i never got to gank you once :(

Advertisement