Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Static IP's from Smart. How to use them?

• 20-06-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been onto Smart a few times about this and each time my question goes un answered. The best I get is RTFM.

We have the Gold business package. Can somebody give me a brief outline on what is needed.

I'm not a total technophobe but have never dealth with more than one Static IP before. From what I gather, they all get routed down our DSL line but after that it is upto us to finalise the end points.

From what I can see, I have to do one of a few things:

* Assign the IP address to the NIC of the device
    or
    * Set it up in the firewall to forward all traffic on a specific public IP to one of my internals

I'm using the AoLynk in brigded mode so I assume most of the work would have to be done on our standalone firewall.

Any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Your second option is by far the most straightforward. That's how the DMZ option on most firewalls works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers mate.

How simple was that? Why couldn't Smart have said that without fobbing me off with an RTFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

IrishTLR wrote:
    Cheers mate.

How simple was that? Why couldn't Smart have said that without fobbing me off with an RTFM.
    Because that advice is worth slightly less than you paid for it. Devices in a DMZ don't benefit from being behind a firewall.

It's not Smarts job to set up your network for you. If you screw it up and leave your systems wide open to worm attacks, they don't want you sueing them. Get a consultant who knows what he's doing and pay him what it's worth to you to have the system set up properly.

If you don't know how to use the "extra" addresses, just ignore them, and just use one, and NAT everything off it, the way you did when you only had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Foxwood wrote:
    Because that advice is worth slightly less than you paid for it. Devices in a DMZ don't benefit from being behind a firewall.

It's not Smarts job to set up your network for you. If you screw it up and leave your systems wide open to worm attacks, they don't want you sueing them. Get a consultant who knows what he's doing and pay him what it's worth to you to have the system set up properly.

If you don't know how to use the "extra" addresses, just ignore them, and just use one, and NAT everything off it, the way you did when you only had one.

bang on be very carefull how u setup your firewall. If you dont know what your doing and put a server in a dmz with no firewall(worst case) you can be sure there will be tears.

It does take alot of effort to get a firewall secure and meeting the needs of your company the default settings just arnt good enough.

If ur unsure stick to nat and call in some heavies to to config ur firewall properly

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Foxwood wrote:
    Devices in a DMZ don't benefit from being behind a firewall.
    I guess that depends on how stupid your firewall is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

True about security and having Smart liable. I'm not looking for someone to hand hold me through the whole excercise. Just a few pointers as to where to start looking. Smart wouldn't even give me that. OscarBravo did, thank you.

I have no intention of putting anything outside of our DMZ, as we don't need it at the moment. I'm purely just testing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yes, like others have said if you want to use your addresses NAT them to something behind your firewall. Don't needlessly expose stuff on your internal lan however; make sure the firewall policy only allows in what you want, the usual mantra :)

Also ensure you have a good reason/plan for using the addresses; rather than just for the sake of it - IPv4 addresses are scarce and its a pain when you run out of them!

Advertisement