Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points - Northern Reg Car

Options
  • 20-06-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Just thinking of trying to dodge two penalty points I got for crossing a continuous white line to pass a tractor. The car I was driving is Northern Reg (and I haven't even yet got the chance to get the car transferred to my own name, i.e. it's still in the name of the person from Northern Ireland who owned it). I handed the Guard my license and got the fine in the post just over 28 days ago - I missed the deadline as I spent all last week unexpectedly in hospital. Anyway, my licence is a replacement license as I lost my previous licence somewhere and got the replacement at the start of this year. I could, perhaps, let it go to court and say I know nothing about a car of registration XXX XXXX and I wasn't driving at the time. It must have been someone else using my old licence that I had lost.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If it goes to court the garda who stopped you will also be there :rolleyes:

Think he may recognaise you and mysteriously have all your details in his notebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Emmm you got the points already so you can't get away with it, give up they have you surrounded... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭trivium

AFAIK you have another 28 days to pay the fine albeit 50% extra on top of the original fine before it goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

If I haven't received a summons for this offence yet, would it be safe to assume that I'm in the all-clear? I missed the 28-day deadline (both of them) - the second one by a few days. I then rang the number on the notice and asked them if I could still pay the larger fine and was informed that it was not possible and to expect a summons. I still haven't received the summons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

marathonic wrote:
    If I haven't received a summons for this offence yet, would it be safe to assume that I'm in the all-clear? I missed the 28-day deadline (both of them) - the second one by a few days. I then rang the number on the notice and asked them if I could still pay the larger fine and was informed that it was not possible and to expect a summons. I still haven't received the summons though.
    They also know a phonecall about this came from your phone.

• Advertisement

Whilst that is true, I thought that there was a time-limit within which you had to be summonsed and it is now over a year since the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

no disrespect but pay the fine and take points..I know lads that had the same idea as yours and it all came back to haunt them. The Guards will always get you again - especially if ure driving a car with no VRT paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

marathonic wrote:
    Just thinking of trying to dodge two penalty points I got for crossing a continuous white line to pass a tractor. The car I was driving is Northern Reg (and I haven't even yet got the chance to get the car transferred to my own name, i.e. it's still in the name of the person from Northern Ireland who owned it). I handed the Guard my license and got the fine in the post just over 28 days ago - I missed the deadline as I spent all last week unexpectedly in hospital. Anyway, my licence is a replacement license as I lost my previous licence somewhere and got the replacement at the start of this year. I could, perhaps, let it go to court and say I know nothing about a car of registration XXX XXXX and I wasn't driving at the time. It must have been someone else using my old licence that I had lost.

The Garda took your license number, its already been processed as he stopped you at the roadside. The car registration is irrelevant, however if you were caught on camera rather than by a Garda then they wouldn't be able to pulse the reg and you'd be away scot free :)

Would recommend you pay the fine, when you go into the post office they'll stick in your License number and your name, address and telephone number will pop up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But he is too late to pay. A date in front of the judge looms for him. Could take 6 months or more to get to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,343 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Could take 6 months or more to get to court.

But it is already a year since the OP. Could the delay be this long or is it safe to assume he'll never hear about this again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did the licence you handed the Garda have your picture on it by any chance?
    I'm sure the Garda compared you and the photo to make sure it was your licence.

As a previous poster said, you're surrounded, give yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Something a bit fishy here. You just missed the 28 day deadline; this happened over a year ago; you still 'haven't had a chance' to register the car.

What gives?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

esel wrote:
    What gives?
    OP originally posted this on 20-06-2006, then came back on 18-06-2007 to update with the comment that he's heard nothing about this yet. Hence the strange lack of continuity between just missing the 28 day deadline and this happening a over year ago.

Exactly phutyle. I got the VRT paid up about 2 weeks after the original post which was posted exactly a year ago today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oops. My bad. :o

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You sound like a right dodge

Advertisement