Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail Server DNS issue

Options
  • 20-06-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Came across a bit of an issue today, I seem to be having trouble with my mail server and DNS. From DNS Report;

FAIL:
    Reverse DNS entries for MX records
    ERROR: None of your mail server(s) seem to have reverse DNS (PTR) entries (I didn't get any responses for them). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the DNS report use our local caching DNS server).

FAIL
    Connect to mail servers
    ERROR: I could not complete a connection to one or more of your mailservers:
    fallback.mail.uk.uu.net: The mailserver terminated the connection before the transaction was complete (state 7). This is not RFC compliant, and therefore either due to an error, or it may be the result of a non-RFC-compliant mailserver or non-RFC-compliant anti-spam program.

WARN
    Mail server host name in greeting
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mail.mydomain.ie claims to be invalid hostname '****0**************************************':

WARN
    Glue at parent nameservers
    WARNING. The parent servers (I checked with ns6.iedr.ie.) are not providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records (192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may cause incompatibilities with some non-RFC-compliant programs. This is perfectly acceptable behavior per the RFCs. This will usually occur if your DNS servers are not in the same TLD as your domain (for example, a DNS server of "ns1.example.org" for the domain "example.com"). In this case, you can speed up the connections slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain.

Can anyone make some sense of this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

all DNS problems , contact the hoster for your domain and send that to them, they can sort it out for ya . the important one is reverse or PTR as its also known, you must fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Sponge I emailed hoster so hopefully they can sort it out. Ive never dealt with DNS problems like this before so I dont mind admitting im a little lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

FAIL:
    Reverse DNS entries for MX records
    ERROR: None of your mail server(s) seem to have reverse DNS (PTR) entries (I didn't get any responses for them). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the DNS report use our local caching DNS server).

Yes it is nice to have a properly reverse registered mail server. AOL in particular have become very fasicist about this recently - bouncing any mail that does not originate from an IP address with a pointer record. Whoever has allocated you your IP block should set this up for you. This would be your ISP in most cases.

WARN
    Mail server host name in greeting
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mail.mydomain.ie claims to be invalid hostname '****0**************************************':

This is probably a firewall somewhere. Some firewalls, eg: Cisco Pixes, have SMTP interceptors that catch smtp connections and perform some basic sanity checking on them. Nothing to worry about.
    WARN
    Glue at parent nameservers
    WARNING. The parent servers (I checked with ns6.iedr.ie.) are not providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records (192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may cause incompatibilities with some non-RFC-compliant programs. This is perfectly acceptable behavior per the RFCs. This will usually occur if your DNS servers are not in the same TLD as your domain (for example, a DNS server of "ns1.example.org" for the domain "example.com"). In this case, you can speed up the connections slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain.

You can probably fix this yourself through the IEDR control panel thing, if you have access to it you can put in the IP addresses of your nameservers.

Advertisement