Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what did you think of Chemistry?

Options
  • 20-06-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

So how did it go for you all? Thought the experiment qs were nice, if a tad weirdly asked!! The rest of the paper was really nice! overall a lovely paper!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I was nowhere near as prepared as I should have been. They kept asking for two of everything which really caught me out.

Experiments questions looked nice but again, I didn't know enough about the experiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

Yeah brilliant paper.

Did 1,3,4,5,6,9,10 (a+b) ,11 (b+c)

No problems, but I was initially a bit thrown by Soap coming up in question 2 since it came up before. I was sure it was going to be ethanoic acid.
    But question 1 easily made up it:D

Just out of interest, what did you get for the picture of the scientist?
    I said William Crookes?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Colorimeter caught me out, as did the water question. Rest of it was reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

shane0312 wrote:
    Just out of interest, what did you get for the picture of the scientist?
    I said William Crookes?

yeah i said that!!

hmm...i could have been so much more prepared for it! if only i hadn't gone to london at the weekend...!!

tbh i didn't really like the experiments..the 1st one was grand but other two....!:mad: i did questions 1,3,4,5,6,7,10 (a+b), 11 (a+b)! really wanted to do 9 but i never learned the whole mechanism for the bromination of ethene and that part was 12 marks...stupid!! :)

yeah i said that!!

:D Well at least someone else said him aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Yeah I got Crookes for the Q4 part.

Didn't like how some of the questions on the soap experiment were phrased but I thought Q1 was really easy and Q4 couldn't have been nicer! Organic questions were also pretty easy for me. All round a very nice paper!:D

Classical studies here I come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 niamhy101

yeah soap qs were kinda weird but i did all three exp qs so i just waffled that one ;)

i said Crookes t'was the only thing i could think of!!

the whole two thing wasn't great, most of mine were waffle (again)

you know for the activation energy q when it asked what Kinetic energy would do and which was more important what did ppl say? was it the speed they gained and the more collisions of the extra general energy over the AE that they got??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Lovely paper......Almost everything i studied this morning and last night came up:D ....Left out all of water and the option Question and still think i got a b1...maybe an A:D ......The Rates of reaction (q7) and Q10 and 11 (both a and b parts) were gems........Q9 was the easiest damn question ive ever done from organic chem....had it done in a matter of minutes............Crookes.........hell yeah:cool: ....What value for X did you get for Q1.....I didnt really know for sure how to find it but still managed to work out an answer.....was X=10:confused:

Shark-69 wrote:
    I didnt really know for sure how to find it but still managed to work out an answer.....was X=10:confused:

Yeah thats what I got too!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

do i dare say what i got for it... i got jj thompson. crooks discoverd cathod rays, but thomson identifyed em as electrons? :( post mortoms are badddddddddddddd i droped at least 2 grades!!!!

i did the chlorine one in 10 mins.. and messed up the calculationns.

4, 6, 9 were almost orgasmic .. meaning that im a sad chemisry joker....

water of crystalisation buggared me. the calculations were messed up. i got 26% and no X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

goodgod3rd wrote:
    water of crystalisation buggared me. the calculations were messed up. i got 26% and no X

what was the percentage of water crystallisation??

i got 26% and nothing for x (i went backwards :s)
    but the rest of my calss *the whole 3* got sixty something and x = 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

goodgod3rd wrote:
    do i dare say what i got for it... i got jj thompson. crooks discoverd cathod rays, but thomson identifyed em as electrons? :( post mortoms are badddddddddddddd i droped at least 2 grades!!!!

Yes, you do dare say it. I'm pretty sure it was JJ Thompson who identified cathode rays as subatomic particles. Crookes just discovered them with his maltese cross experiment thingy. Besides, Crookes has massive feck-off side whiskers.

I got 62.96% for water of crystalisation and 10 for x.
    Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 brianfiel

No crookes is right.The explanation leans towards thomson but the picture is definitely crookes.Thomson doesnt wear glasses!!!

Zoodlebop wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it was JJ Thompson who identified cathode rays as subatomic particles. Crookes just discovered them with his maltese cross experiment thingy. Besides, Crookes has massive feck-off side whiskers.

Yeah but Thomson doesnt have a moustache!!
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    I got 62.96% for water of crystalisation and 10 for x.
    Anyone else?

Yeah I got that exactly!

my friends , got 10 and 62. yes

and jj dose wear glasses! and a nice stache!

250px-JJ_Thomson.jpg

I think we're right. This is a picture of JJ off google, exactly the same as the one on the paper, just darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

how did u get x=10? I got x=2:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

goodgod3rd wrote:

Yay I got JJ Thompson as well!
    Ok paper, Question 1 was probably the easiest chemistry question ever! They asked a couple of weird questions in no 2 but I think (hope!) they were just weirdy phrased. Unortunately q 3 was one of the experiments we left out!

Actually did anyone think q4 was a bit weird? There were no definitions!

Also can anyone tell me the answer to the last part of q4 part B? The one about which metals get oxidised. I never did that section so I randomly picked two metals from the periodic table! I chose Fe and Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

they are the 2 metals i guessed aswell... really weird eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

Yes it's thompson, i think.

I wasn't too dying about the 1st experiment but thought that the rest of the aper was lovely. I got 60-something for the percentage and 10 for x too (je ne sais pas).

A few questions...
    What is "the general principle of all colorimetry experiments"?
    What did everyone get for the heat of combustion one? I got something in the 3000 bracket but i don't think it's right.
    and What was the colour change in the MnO4 and I equation in q10? I siad purple to colourless, but again i don't know.

Brods wrote:
    they are the 2 metals i guessed aswell... really weird eh?!

Freaky....!

Faerie wrote:
    Yay I got JJ Thompson as well!
    Ok paper, Question 1 was probably the easiest chemistry question ever! They asked a couple of weird questions in no 2 but I think (hope!) they were just weirdy phrased. Unortunately q 3 was one of the experiments we left out!

Actually did anyone think q4 was a bit weird? There were no definitions!

Also can anyone tell me the answer to the last part of q4 part B? The one about which metals get oxidised. I never did that section so I randomly picked two metals from the periodic table! I chose Fe and Al.

I'm not to sure about those. Isn't sodium one of them??? And won't iron rust right through, not just on the surface??? I said Cu and Na.

curtains wrote:
    Yes it's thompson, i think.

I wasn't too dying about the 1st experiment but thought that the rest of the aper was lovely. I got 60-something for the percentage and 10 for x too (je ne sais pas).

A few questions...
    What is "the general principle of all colorimetry experiments"?
    What did everyone get for the heat of combustion one? I got something in the 3000 bracket but i don't think it's right.
    and What was the colour change in the MnO4 and I equation in q10? I siad purple to colourless, but again i don't know.

Yeah I got 62.96% and 10 and I got -3294 for heats of reaction.
    I didn't really know the colour change in q10 either but I also said purple to colourless!

Did anyone else get 11.7 for the pH in q4 and 91.3% mass of carbon in methylbenzene? Definately weirdly phrased questions!

Zoodlebop wrote:
    I'm not to sure about those. Isn't sodium one of them??? And won't iron rust right through, not just on the surface??? I said Cu and Na.

Ah well it was a long shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

11.7 and 91.3 yep... altho i had 90.3 for ages... THEY TRICKED ME, with their methyl group replacing a hydrogen and all....

purple to red-brown?? iodine colour, iodine being the only colour thing on the right hand side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

yeah i got those too!

but for the colour change i said purple to colourless to brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

For q11 a did any1 get 0.03 moles for part (iii) and 2.22g for part (v)..?:confused: .......I got 91.3% for q4(d) aswell and 11.7 for 4(h).......damn dat picture....I didn't really bother to read the question fully....just saw 'name the scientist' and wrote down Crookes........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

yeah i got 91.3 and 11.7 as well!

yeah, well there iss an argument for that, cause the precipitated iodine would make it brown, in fact i'd say that's right.

btw, as a matter of interest, how soluble are methane, butane and butanol in water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

it seems like a bollox paper at firsat but it wasnt too bad...only question i didn go near was question 3...SUMMER HOLIDAYS NOW...............;) ;);)

Advertisement