Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does this bit come off?

Options
  • 20-06-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Bike had a fight with a forklift and back wheel lost badly.

Got a new wheel but cant seem to get this bit off.
    DSC00120.JPG

:confused:

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I think you need a special tool to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Tools required for removing cassette
    Probably better off bringing the wheel to the local bike shop,they'd take the cassette off the old wheel and stick it on the new wheel in a few seconds for you.
    If you do buy a tool make sure it'll fit your cassette.AFAIK there's a couple of standards.

All the info you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thanks

Yah think the shop guy would have mentioned this ......

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Looking at that cassette, specificly the outer teeth at 1 and 3 o'clock, I'd say you might need to consider a new cassette (and chain - usually better to change both simultaneously). Those teeth look really really worn.

Of course it could just be the light in the photo. Check them manually - if it would hurt to press down on them you probably need it changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

By cassette do you mean cogs?

This my 5th bike in 2 years and meant to be nearly new :confused: I have serious bad luck with them either being stolen, run over by fork trucks, wheels falling off whilst cycling or having Shelbourne stickers glued on.

Shop dude put it on my new wheel today for 8 euros.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah - you see the teeth on it? They're supposed to have a fairly flat topped head. At least 2 of yours on the outter (largest) cog look like they're really sharp - like a sharks tooth. If they're really sharp, that's a sign of wearing, which is a sign that you need a new cassette (and also that you might need to change your gearing style, but that's another story :))

Advertisement