Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room out

Options
  • 20-06-2006 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

shortly moving in to my new house and may rent a room out

im male, so would i be better off renting to males or females?

and if i am going down the female route, how would i make it easier for her to take the room, ie it may be just me and the renter living in the house

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

If you are going renting a room anywhere near the 38/A bus route in Dublin give me a shout, coz I need a new place with easy access to Ballycoolin Business Pk.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

I say rent to a women. I know im generalising but women are more considerate and tend to be cleaner.

The only drawback is that you cant walk around in your boxers (well you can but you might freak her out). Plus when lying around watching TV it might be best to not scratch/play with your b@lls.

Id have no problem sharing with a bloke.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

whichever your more comfortable living with,everyone will be different.
    Let it depend on the eprson rather then gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

If your advertising on daft let the ad open to both male and female and then make your decision. Women are not neccessarily easier to live with or cleaner. I have found guys to be generally easier going and tend to spend less time in the house (if you'd like to have the house to yourself)

Good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're male and the renter is going to be female (and is going to be the only other person in the house) it would be preferable (from both your and her perspective) if you ensure that she has access to a bathroom of her own. Women often spend far more time sorting themselves in the morning than guys- and also would probably appreciate their own space for their toiletries etc.

After that all the usual stuff- be considerate, there is another person in the house etc.

If you have a look at the guidelines for the rent-a-room scheme it suggests a few things that you might keep in mind when renting a room to a person.

http://oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

Grem wrote:
    I say rent to a women. I know im generalising but women are more considerate and tend to be cleaner.

The only drawback is that you cant walk around in your boxers (well you can but you might freak her out). Plus when lying around watching TV it might be best to not scratch/play with your b@lls.

Id have no problem sharing with a bloke.

thanks for all your replies, the house is in limerick (raheen) btw.

Grem :D, my nickname is captain underpants as I enjoy walking around in the boxers :D I would have a sneaky scratch in the tv room but leave the playing bit for private :D:D:D

some interesting points

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i've shared with alot of women in my time.

i'd imagine it may be hard to bag a bird, if it's just yourself and herself.

i'd say, generaly women are better.

don't be swayed by a stunner though, made this mistake in the past, she turned out to be v bad housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of thinking you can get her into bed. More likely is you meeting the bloke she brings home.
    smccarrick wrote:
    Women often spend far more time sorting themselves in the morning than guys- and also would probably appreciate their own space for their toiletries etc.
    Yeah and let her buy her own tissues!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are male, get a male tenant and preferably a culchie that goes home weekends.

Females are head wreckers and much more demanding than a bloke that knows hes getting a bargain in rent. (i'm renting about 15 years now and frankly would never ever rent with a girl again unless was related or involved with).

Sexist ?? ..yes..realist..yes too...i'm in rented accomodation a long time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

i would concurr. woman are waaaaaaaay more demanding. im renting a few rooms to all llads and they are very easy going. women freak in general if everything isnt spot on whereas lads take it handy. also in relation to tele which is a very valid point women, in general, dont like the stuff lads watch and this could create problems down the line. also if youv lads in the house you can play PS2 or poker or go out for a kick around. woman for bringing home ;) but lads for living with

btw not sexist either just based from my own expierance of renting and renting out rooms myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I shared with a girl once who was very nice when interviewed, seemed friendly and almost shy.

Turned out that two drinks and she was anybodys! She went out about 4 nights a week and brought a different fella home each and every night. I'm not exaggerating or joking.

She wasn't a stunner, just made it obvious that she was prepared to put out :rolleyes:

It came to a head when I ame home from work one day to find a strange bloke in the house in my room, looking through my stuff. She had left him in the house while she went to work!! :eek:

She told me that she always told them to let themselves out when she left for work! She was turfed out that week.

I would say, doesn't matter if they are girls or guys, just make sure you are covered. You need clear ground rules, and a lease! I know the Bar Association offer a free sample lease that you can amend to suit your own circumstances. Make sure you pay taxes and register as you don't want the threat of the taxman held over you by the tenant if there is a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Defintely depends on the person. I had a girl from the country that stayed in her room the whole time and never a problem. After that I got a chef in. Just moved over from England. Used to stay up all night watching dvds and probably doing drugs. Every job he got lasted a week and eventually couldn't pay the rent. Robbed at least 100 euro in change from another housemate and 100 from my wallet. Broke lights, golf clubs, wrecked my bike and brought people home all time day and night. I was woken one morning at about 3am by a load of people coming in and went downstairs. Was asked who I was as he told them it was his house. Lost the head, threw them out and gave him his notice. Then I found out he had signed my name on a social welfare form and when he finally left I got a phone bill for 350 euro. I had stupidly let him use his deposit for the last month. Could write a book on the four months he spent with us! Did eventually get most of my money back but with great effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get a nurse , or someone from the country, get a job reference, they must be working at least a year, spanish or american, french,girls tend to be quiet and dont drink much,if you get a local,they tend to bring their friends around,after coming back from the pub/club.people who work in cafes /restaurants, tend to be wild,unreliable in regard to rent.you need letter from employer,i have fulll time job at ibm/whatever.d,ont bother with rent allowance tenants.you can put in ad looking for professional,etc.ask for 5 weeks rent as a deposit,be4 you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

i thought nurses were generally roudy!?

i think you mean rowdy, nurses work 40 plus hours a week, they go out alot.they always pay the rent,reliable.,try get tenant over 25/30 years old ,any1 who takes a chef as a tenant god help you, 50percent of chefs have mental problems,a chef who can only afford to rent a room, well,thats not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

50% of chefs have mental problems - source?

Well they are very stressed out people,tend to be agressive, look at gordon ramsey,i read some article,it said they have a high rate of drug,alcohol abuse.I mean i don,t think they make an ideal tenant ,if you are looking for someone quiet and reliable.Its probably closer to ten percent.

Advertisement