Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Argos Store?

Options
  • 20-06-2006 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I work with Argos in Dublin, and have been asked to come and help with the opening of a new Argos store in Limerick, opening July 29th.
    I'd like to do a bit of research on location, so I can get myself sorted re: accommodation etc.
    So, does anyone know where this new store is?

Thanks,
    snappieT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Aint got a clue were the new store is but Limerick is real small
    so you will have no problem getting around and finding a place to
    stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Think you might be out in the Singland/Parkway side of town, in which case you'll find it easy to get very cheap accommodation in student housing thats empty for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well it's only for 2 weeks, so they'll be giving me hotel moneys!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a new large retail unit just finished in the Childer's Road Retail Park (which I can see from my house). Rumor has been for a while that an Argos Express store was going in there. Do you have anymore details about the location? I.e. Any others well known shops that are in the same location as the new store?

If the rumor is true then the closest hotel is probably the Castletroy Park Hotel which is close to the University campus. The hotel is about 15-20 mins walk from the Childer's Road Retail Park. Or if you are staying in town you could catch a bus which stops across the road from it.

Cool, thanks very much.
    I'm almost certain it's not an express store, I think it's going to be Argos Extra (full range), so it'll have to be fairly big. I really have minimal details, even though I agreed to it already, i'm getting details during the week, I just wanted to get a head start.
    To be honest, I'm surprised that they don't have exterior signs up, considering opening date is less than 6 weeks away.

I'll be out drinking nightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

snappieT wrote:
    Cool, thanks very much.
    I'm almost certain it's not an express store, I think it's going to be Argos Extra (full range), so it'll have to be fairly big. I really have minimal details, even though I agreed to it already, i'm getting details during the week, I just wanted to get a head start.
    To be honest, I'm surprised that they don't have exterior signs up, considering opening date is less than 6 weeks away.

I'll be out drinking nightly.

Yes Argos Extra is what I was thinking of.

They are still finishing off the outside of it so I think the signs will probably be going up soon. This unit is pretty large so it looks like this more than likely is the shop alright. The other units in the retail park are Dunnes Stores, Land of Leather, Atlantic Homecare, KFC, Pizza Hut and JJB Sports.

Oh dear, 2 weeks of KFC for breakfast, lunch and dinner ahead then. God I hope Dunnes has a deli...

Right, another question. Someone couldn't throw me a screenshot of this place on google maps, i can't seem to find it.

And then I promise i'll be out of your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the wedges are fair nice at that dinnes stores and its open 24hrs
    theres also lifestyle sports,Next,Maplins there and a gym in jjb's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

a 3rd ARGOS in limerick? aren't those two not enough??? generally i'm welcoming an ARGOS Extra.

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

He is a google map 4 ya.

The red dot is the center of Limerick and the blue dot
    is were the argos will be :D

11di.png

Childers_road.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

snappieT wrote:
    Hi,
    I work with Argos in Dublin, and have been asked to come and help with the opening of a new Argos store in Limerick, opening July 29th.
    I'd like to do a bit of research on location, so I can get myself sorted re: accommodation etc.
    So, does anyone know where this new store is?

Thanks,
    snappieT

Have you tried asking your boss. Surely someone at Head Office in Argos would know where their store is going to be located.

Cool, thanks for the map.
    And my manager was fairly busy yesterday, so I didn't really get much talking done. I'll be getting final details over the weekend.

Thanks everyone!

it is preety strange that limerick is getting a 3rd though as cork only has 2 (one being extra) and galway only has one normal one
    not complaining though

1huge1 wrote:
    it is preety strange that limerick is getting a 3rd though as cork only has 2 (one being extra) and galway only has one normal one
    not complaining though

Not really, the way the new roads are going Limerick is only an hour and 20 from Cork and an hour and 40 from Galway. You'd be surprised at the numbers that travel from both cities to shop in Limerick (or more precisely, the Cresent). Limerick, for it's many many faults and problems is still a well located city.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On a side note, does anyone else find it strange that there are two Argos stores on Mary St. in Dublin (Ilac & Jervis centres) ?

colm_mcm wrote:
    On a side note, does anyone else find it strange that there are two Argos stores on Mary St. in Dublin (Ilac & Jervis centres) ?

I was going to give some sarcastic "like whatever" answer but actually that is pretty strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I suspect an ARGOS EXTRA store is going to be a far bigger deal size wise than the down town or Crescent stores ......

it's great news to hear we will be able to collect 'EXTRA' items rather than have to place an order with the existing stores

I work in the one in Ilac. The two stores get the custom they need, and they're not really both on mary street. The Ilac store is as good as on Parnell St. And Jervis is at the back of the Jervis centre. It's at least 5 minutes walk.
    I'd be more inclined to ask why there are two in the Blanchardstown SC.

What really gets me though, is that Jervis and Stephen's Green are full up, but the Ilac actually has a second floor that they could turn into stockroom space, making the store Extra, but they haven't. Seems odd that Limerick city gets an Extra store, but Dublin doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

i knew that Argos was opening in Childers road for the past year!!! its on MacDonald Estates website ages. Yes its gonna be an extra store and it is scheduled to open on July 29th! Arcadia is opening in the unit next door

whats arcadia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

1huge1 wrote:
    whats arcadia?

In ancient Greek mythology it's a happy place where people live without hard work, without the pressure of social adaptation People lived there as happy shepherds in an idyllic nature. Nowadays the people of the greek provice Arkadia are seen as a rough folk of peasants.

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Bit bored so googled Arcadia they are a fashion retailer link here http://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/promostores/arcadia/flash/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Inge Binge wrote:
    In ancient Greek mythology it's a happy place where people live without hard work, without the pressure of social adaptation People lived there as happy shepherds in an idyllic nature. Nowadays the people of the greek provice Arkadia are seen as a rough folk of peasants.

IB

youve got that wrong, inge. what you mean is an amusement arcade, a leasurely place in idyllic places like Bundoran or Tramore built for sheepish people without work and mostly crowded by rough tourists without any pressure of social adaptation or so. :D

Arcadia Group own Wallis, Dorothy Perkins, Topshop, Evans and others! I don't know if they are all opening out there but Wallis are definately opening there!

was in jjb's today they have the sign up for argus sorta it the shop in the corner right beside jjb's

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I heard that once the new Argos Extra is up and running, they will close down the one in town, because its too small!

May be just a rumour, but hey.. this is the internetl! :)

Glad to see it opening anyway - always annoyed me that the Argos catalogue gets more like a telephone directory in size every 6 months, but seems like 1/2 of it is "Extra" - so have to wait a few days to get your stuff...

I hope they do close the one on Cruises street, the back of it (opposite St. Michael's Church) is such wasted space.

Cruises street is gonna just fall apart in a few years if all the good shops move out!!!:( :(:(:(:(:( :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

If all the shops move out id love to see it be turned into a mini temple bar.

• Advertisement

Well I got more details today. It's definately Childer's Road, and the store number is 915 (for all you ring and reserve types), opening 29th July... Catalogue Launch.

Advertisement