Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT vs Digiweb

• 20-06-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I am moving house soon to an area near North Circular road. I currently have UTV bb and it is very reliable. However, it is costing 54 per month so I was thinking of getting either BT or Digiweb for 40 or 35 respectively. I'm not majorly concerned with dl speeds although would make use of the static Ip address supplied by digiweb (BT don't supply these apparently.) As my partner works from home once a week I need a reliable service that won't go down and also with only three weeks until our moving date we don't want any downtime when we move in. The new house has an eircom line that has never had bb on it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I was thinking of the 29.99 package from Gaelic Telecom. It seems a better deal than eircom and I didnt fancy BT after all the bad press they get on customer support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Downtime will be unavoidable I'm afraid. If the line is not active then you'll need to get it activated by Eircom. It can take up to a month to get the line checked for broadband and will then take 2-3 weeks to be installed on it. You could speed up the line test a bit by calling Eircom to check it, every day if needs be, but don't be surprised if they don't do it.

Avoid BT if you value your sanity as it can very easily turn into a nightmare. The product is very reliable and the bundled line rental and BB price is great, but BT are plagued with inept staff and a woefull billing system.

Get that line activated now if you can and try to get Eircom to test it. Also, you'll need your Eircom account number but they are very slow to give this out and have a policy of not giving it over the phone. Getting a third party (BT or Digiweb) to activate the line for you can be a complete nightmare too and I'd advise against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

billings been great for me on BT :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Digiweb DSL has been great for me so far (4 months). No downtime, bills emailed to you. I'm in Finglas area.

BT suck.

Advertisement