Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a projector .. but haven't got a clue!

• 20-06-2006 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I've been looking for a projector for a few weeks now but I'm hesitent to spend alot of cash on one with knowing exactly what I'm buying.

I've done a fair bit of research but to be honest I'm none the wiser.

The Panasonic AExxx seem to be regarding as a fantastic choice. I've spoted one on ebay that seems to be a good price

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Panasonic-PT-AE900-TH-AE900-HDMI-HDTV-Beamer-Projector_W0QQitemZ9730963678QQcategoryZ22610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

compared with the Komplett price ~300 more.

The plan is to use it for some tv viewing and dvd's via my PC. I've been looking at pcworld projectors and wasn't overly impressed. Dell seem to do some 'decent' ones, or do they? Where should I be looking?

Any advice is muchly appreciated as I'm a complete gob****e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well your choice is fine. Stick with the AE 900. Bear in mind that the shipping from that auction will be nasty, as will customs\duty when you get hit for it.

[edit] its actulally not much cheaper from that seller on ebay:

Item: £859
    Shipping: 57

Total: 916

916 GBP in Euro = 1339 according to XE mid market rates, realworld, more like 1480 or so.

Then ad the possibility of 21% VAT on top of that when it lands and a €12 "handling charge"

Long story short, get the AE900 from komplett or .TECHNIKdirekt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

whatever you buy, make sure to see it in action first.
    we have a projector and have watched hundreds of movies and sports on it.

some people find it fine, others cant bear it.
    im somewhere in between.

basically, if you buy a dlp projector, beware the "rainbow effect"
    some people see it, some dont, but its a nightmare if you can.
    i just got used to it, but id rarther it weasnt there at all.

if your buying off ebay be careful of "second chance offers"
    as a projector is a high value item your an obvious target for scammers.
    i bidded on 3 auctions before i one mine,
    and after each losing got the "we have another projector avialbe" email.
    ebay contacted me a few weeks later to say if i had gotten a mail off that seller and paid him that i should contact my credit card company.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'd stay away from LCD's/DLP's on eBay, CRTs are probably ok if that's what you're looking for.

Very good LCD's/DLP's are available new even in Argos so you might as well buy from new. Changing the lamp may cost you a lot if it blows soon after purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

someone from these boards recommended this crowd, http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/video/projektion/daten-video-projektion/daten-videoprojektoren/815092/-/Article.html?fillspace=1

there prices are a bit cheaper but I dont know if there is a charge for importing from germany or whatever. You can buy bulbs off them too

www.dabs.co.uk are the cheapest i found outside of ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

brav wrote:
    someone from these boards recommended this crowd, http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/video/projektion/daten-video-projektion/daten-videoprojektoren/815092/-/Article.html?fillspace=1

there prices are a bit cheaper but I dont know if there is a charge for importing from germany or whatever. You can buy bulbs off them too

They are inside the EU, so you pay the VAT in that member state. In this case %17.

After a while if they do a lot of business in ireland for example, revenue will ask them to get an Irish VAT number, ala Komplett and then they will have to charge irish VAT @ 21% :(

Bascially the AE900 is one of the best on the market, but perhaps go to Harvey Normans or whatever and see if you suffer from the "colour wheel" effect that DLP's somtimes cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

You cant go wrong with the AE900, as its lcd, no rainbow, and the screen door effect is minimal. It is the best on the market, until they release a newer model or sanyo release a new rival.

Dabs don't do the AE900

hmm,
    they had at least 80 models about a month ago.
    only seem to have 2 now.

weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Bulb life and lamp replacement costs are two major issues I would look at before buying any projector.

Advertisement