Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - Good or Bad?

• 20-06-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have read about Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod and I am tempted to install it - I likely the idea of creatures NOT levelling up with you. I'd like to know if you installed this and think whether it was a good idea or not. Interestingly, there is a slow levelling up mod with this since you face more enemies as well.

Did anyone use this mod with the AF Leveling Mod where you don't have to care about micromanaging your skills so you get x5 multipliers? Just asking if anyone had problems with this combo.

Even though I am 44 hours into the game I think it maybe worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I haven't tried either of those mods but I am concerned about the 5x multipliers mod. In my experience if you select carefully an average of 2x and 3x is good enough to keep up with the mobs. 5x would be overkill. Also If you keep getting 5x upgrades you will quickly hit the ceiling on your key stats and end up filling up all the minor stats too - so much for any kind of role play as you get a mage with +100 strength or a warrior with +100 int for example.

I notice that Obscuros mod aims to "increase the overall challenge of the game" so this may offset the 5x bonuses to some extent but you will still end up maximising a whole bunch of stats at a relatively low level. By level 20 for example you will probably be at or near maximum on 5 or 6 stats.

I'm not against fixed stat bonuses per se - I do think the default system is counter intuitive and open to exploitation but I just think that a fixed 2x or 3x bonus would make more sense than a fixed 5x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

it also depends on your character as i have just finished all the guilds and the main quest as well as a lot of side missions with a time of 103 playing hours and i am only at level 17
    i'm a dark elf battlemage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I might try it since it adds more balance to the game. I was dismayed to hear that good armour is dropped by common bandits on a regular basis once you go up several levels in Vanilla Oblivion. It's as though the world is rovolving around the player - not what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

hamster wrote:
    I might try it since it adds more balance to the game. I was dismayed to hear that good armour is dropped by common bandits on a regular basis once you go up several levels in Vanilla Oblivion. It's as though the world is rovolving around the player - not what you want.

No no, it should revolve around the player, it just shouldnt seem like it.

He he :) That's true. Well, did you try it Zillah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Zillah wrote:
    No no, it should revolve around the player, it just shouldnt seem like it.

good point Zillah it is glaringly obvious in Oblivion but i wish it was done better

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod is coming up to version 1.3 shortly. I'll give it a go this weekend (that and faster arrows).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

hamster wrote:
    Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod is coming up to version 1.3 shortly. I'll give it a go this weekend (that and faster arrows).

Tiz the faster fireballs i'm after, LET THEM BURN BABY BURN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

it seems to be a very large amount of changes , with new character classes,
    new enemies etc ,new armour etc etc maybe one for after ur finished ?

I tried it. Started a new game, played until about level 12, then remembered that I was bored of Oblivion. Either way, the improvements seemed good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Zillah wrote:
    I tried it. Started a new game, played until about level 12, then remembered that I was bored of Oblivion. Either way, the improvements seemed good.

sounds good, what other classes are there???

Classes? Who cares? Can't you just make your own to do anything you want?

In answer to your question, I have no idea. I always just make my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

having been unable to finish the thieves guild quests on the 360 due to a bug:mad: , decided to downlaod this mod and get going on the PC, its at version 1.3 and a heafty 470 odd mbs, will report back in due course !

Mod is finally available? Yes, must get it. I've been holding off playing oblivion properly until now. That and a lack of holidays... Marked a week of in November for that... suitably dark and moody. :)

Advertisement