Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Door Handles??

Options
  • 21-06-2006 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I am just after buying a '01 BMW 318 which is colour coded except for the door handles -car is silver, handles are black- is it possible to get new silver handles fitted, is it expensive??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am just after buying a '01 BMW 318 which is colour coded except for the door handles -car is silver, handles are black- is it possible to get new silver handles fitted, is it expensive??

You can get covers for them, but they probably look shìte. Could be a case of having to replace the whole locks, which would be a bit of work.

eBay is usually the best bet for this type of stuff - alternatively try www.bmw-driver.net, the guys there know their stuff. Let me know how you get on, I also have a 3 series I would like to colour code (rubbing strips etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

A decent body shop will remove them and paint them in body matching colour and refit them for around 100 squids.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You can buy the handles colour coded from your dealer. There are two sections for each handle - the small section (where the keyhole is) is €40 or so, not sure about the main handle, but according to here - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM52&mospid=47618&btnr=41_1111&hg=41&fg=40 , its about the same.

Its a good opportunity to remove the front lock to stop scrotes from having a go with a screwdriver by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

kdevitt wrote:
    Its a good opportunity to remove the front lock to stop scrotes from having a go with a screwdriver by the way.

Eh?

Skobie's screwdriver isn't going to get past the deadlocks is it?
    And wouldn't that mean you're f**ked if your fob battery dies or the central locking starts playing up?
    I presume your point is that your average Damo thinks a properly wielded screwdriver will open any lock, so don't give him somewhere to try it. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

milltown wrote:
    I presume your point is that your average Damo thinks a properly wielded screwdriver will open any lock, so don't give him somewhere to try it. Or am I missing something?

Exactly - I know of more than one E46 owner whose door was attacked with a screwdriver.

Your fob uses a rechargable battery which charges once its in the ignition. Apart from that, I still have the boot lock - and fold down seats. Hundreds of people have done this in the states and I've yet to read of anyone getting locked out of their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I see. No fold down seats in mine though. Also, I'm of the strong opinion that no car is secure if it has windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can fold the seats down from inside the boot?

Advertisement