Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Computer Issue

Options
  • 21-06-2006 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the correct place for this, but:-

I just left a PC into Harvey Norman's in Swords with I suspect a HDD failure, I've told them how many times the thing has crashed and that I want a refund. They said that should be ok, but that they need to send it for testing. Presumably they are within their rights to do this? - Strictly speaking I could have taken a screwdriver to it, but are they obliged to provide me with an equivelent spec PC in the meantime?

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with HN? Im curious to know how long i'm gonna be without my PC. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

the are absolutly not required to issue you with a replacement while it is being 'tested / repaired / replaced'. For a relatively inexpensive item like a computer I wouldn't imagine any retailer would offer this service.

They are also within their rights to test the machine before giving a refund or replacment, otherwise how would they know if they had to repair, replace etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Don't know if this is the correct place for this, but:-

I just left a PC into Harvey Norman's in Swords with I suspect a HDD failure, I've told them how many times the thing has crashed and that I want a refund. They said that should be ok, but that they need to send it for testing. Presumably they are within their rights to do this? - Strictly speaking I could have taken a screwdriver to it, but are they obliged to provide me with an equivelent spec PC in the meantime?

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with HN? Im curious to know how long i'm gonna be without my PC. :(

When did you buy the PC? Whether you're entitled to a replacement would depend how recently it was bought.

I bought a HP Media Centre jobbie there - when I set it up the fan was really load - ie I'd have to have the volume up very load to hear over it. As it was a media PC it kind of defeated the purpose. It also bragged about being able to tune in TV but it wasn't available in Ireland at that stage. I brought it back twice and they told me it was a powerful PC and needed a big fan. I got on to HP who told me this was crap and to bring back PC and demand a new one or my money back. But this all happened immediately after purchase. I ended up going elsewhere because I found their service dreadful.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's ony about 6 weeks old.

I could robably have it repaired or even replaced, but its easier to get the refund and start afresh.

Advertisement