Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mythic sells their soul to satan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Why!? WHY!? This better not muck up Warhammer Online. Or else I'll....I'll....break down and cry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

I hear you'll be able to transfer your WoW dwarf to World of Warhammer for 25 Dollars when it comes out. It's a 1 week window before Blizzard finds out what EA has done without cutting them in on the cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

this is the worst possible news for W.A.R.

I was really looking forward to this game, but looking at all of the tripe EA have churned out, the state of franchised they have acquired and their history of success with MMORPGs (or lack thereof) has made me really apprehensive about the game now.

Can't believe mythic sold out, but I guess money talks...

Looks like darkfall online is the only remaining salvation for people wanting a real MMO with true freedom and an uncompromising vision, rather than cut and paste WoW/EQ clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

wow you guys are a bunch of doomsday naysayers.

EA will probably have so little to do with W.O. that it wont matter in the long run. plus GW has retained the right to reclaim the project at any time if things arent going their way. once bitten twice shy and all that.

One thing ea has that mythic doesnt is an online shop with live downloader (Ea Downloader ala steam) so more people will be able to buy it that wouldnt normally. At the moment i can only see the good that is possible because we dont know if EA are going to start sacking people. plus the development cycle on W.O. could be nearly completed before the aquisition is final.

Take it easy.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that us "doomsday naysayers" are just cautiously, optimistic. We too have been burned before (by EA specifically) and know what to expect.

Regardless of the situation, when Mythic finish Warhammer, the fact remains once its launched, EA will have some (sizeable) say in things. Which can never be a good thing...

In fact, I seem to remember a friend of mine saying something similar about the EA buyout of Maxis, many years back. He said, Sim City is a fantastic series, there is no reason why EA would interfere with a tried and tested formula for quality games... Several years later, we got "The Sims"

I rest my case...

how does "ugh" and "worst possible news" translate to cautious optimism.

The fact is no matter how much say EA have in the matter GW has been very canny about how this is licenced and if it starts to go south because of EA then they can take the game elsewhere.

jaggeh wrote:
    how does "ugh" and "worst possible news" translate to cautious optimism.

The fact is no matter how much say EA have in the matter GW has been very canny about how this is licenced and if it starts to go south because of EA then they can take the game elsewhere.
    see, what you are missing there is what wasnt said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

jaggeh wrote:

You say that like it's a good thing. As it is WHO is looking top notch, and while Mythic has their faults DAOC was a very good game. If they can learn from their mistakes this new game will blow WoW and probably every other game out of the water in terms of PvP gameplay (I won't bother trying to analyse it from a casual gamers perspective). Now if EA screw with things and force GW to withdraw the licence I honestly can't see anyone else doing as good a job. There is also the area of game concept, while GW owns the warhammer IP, who owns how Mythic plans to implement it. Would a new company be able to just come in and take up where Mythic left off or would they have to completely revamp the implementation?

EA has a history of destroying everything it touches which is why you see so much bad feeling on forums about this merger. The fact that GW can pull the plug at any time doesn't change the fact that if EA screws things up we lose a potentially great game.

i totally agree osi, turbine was one of the other bidders for WHO but they dropped it in favor of D&D, if GW pulls the plug they get to keep all renders models textures etc as they are considered GW property, they dont get to keep the coding tho.

but honestly, gw have been trying to get into bed with a serious publisher for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

God dammit.

**** you EA.

Advertisement