Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these is best?

• 21-06-2006 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi folks.

Has anyone any experience of these, or can you give any opinions you might have. After doing a bit of research, these seem to be the only half-affordable options to us living just outside Birr.

1 Last Mile Broadband- from a mast in Kinnitty Mtns; half to pay installation and advance rental; then they will come and do a test. If you fail you get your money back LESS €30 test fee. If it passes, its €81 + vat installation and apx €40 per month. 512 download.

2 Crosscountry Broadband - 100% guarantee you will get it! You have to have a dial up line; you dial up to their satellite and then you have broadband. €258 installation and €29.50 per month for 256 dl, and €42.50 for 512 dl speed.

3 Fastnet - wireless- €30+vat per month and €150+ vat installation. 1,024 dl speed

Not 100% certain if Fastnet is available here-girl told me to email them with query.

So there. Any opinions or experiences of these? Please......!!! Im sick of dial-up:mad:

h

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

hawthorn wrote:
    Hi folks.
    1 Last Mile Broadband- from a mast in Kinnitty Mtns; half to pay installation and advance rental; then they will come and do a test. If you fail you get your money back LESS €30 test fee. If it passes, its €81 + vat installation and apx €40 per month. 512 download.

I know a couple of people who have this. The live in or around Kilcormac and the service is good. I found the speeds consistent and signal quality seems to be good. I was also able to use VoIP on it with no problems.
    hawthorn wrote:
    2 Crosscountry Broadband - 100% guarantee you will get it! You have to have a dial up line; you dial up to their satellite and then you have broadband. €258 installation and €29.50 per month for 256 dl, and €42.50 for 512 dl speed.

I wouldn't get this. You will have to pay for telephone costs when you are online and the speed will suffer because the upload will only be the same a dialup connection.
    hawthorn wrote:
    3 Fastnet - wireless- €30+vat per month and €150+ vat installation. 1,024 dl speed
    Not 100% certain if Fastnet is available here-girl told me to email them with query.
    Not sure if it's avaliable or of quality but the offer they have seems good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

hawthorn wrote:

I have had last Mile Broadband (Moate area) for over a year now and in recent months I have become one unhappy camper with them. I wont go into details here about them. But if you do a search on Boards.ie for Last Mile Broadband,youwill find loads of threads you can read about them, good and bad. But trust me unless you have true line of sight with them (ie no trees that have big leaves in the way etc.) their service is not much better than a one channel ISDN line. But that is only my opinion/experience with them.

OHP

Advertisement