Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour comic day 2006

Options
  • 21-06-2006 5:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

posted this to the creative ireland forum earlier and was pointed in this direction.

I know this is super early but I want to have something decent organised and not wait until the last minute. The offical 24 hour comics day has been moved from April to October 7th for 2006. I was sorting something out with BCFE were I teach but, if I do that it there, it will be limited to just Ballyer students.

Are there people out there who would be up for doing a 24 hour comic? [Check the link above for more info about 24 hour comics]

Did anywhere in Ireland do something for the pervious 24 hour comic events? or is someone already sorting something for this years one?

Anyone got some suggestions for a location? It needs to be somewhere people can draw and also somewhere that does or will be willing to stay open for 24 hours.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was just reading about this the other day, after having heard of but not properly paid attention to the idea when reading about Scott McCloud. It's a neat idea, though not the easiest one to accomodate.

Being honest about it, it'd be hard to get anything going outside of Dublin due to the way artists seem to be distributed around the country (at least, as far as I can tell). It would be fun to try and arrange something for this year, although I can see the venue being the major stumbling block...nonetheless, great suggestion.

If anyone is interested in helping put something together or taking part in the event itself, post up here. If we get enough interest, maybe we can get in touch with one of the Dublin comic shop owners and discuss setting something up in conjunction with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

I'm always up for a challenge. Does anyone know how much (if any) preparatory work you're allowed to do? Or is the point to do none (except, possibly, the story outline and thumbnails(?)) and let it all flow on the day?

Venues in Dublin chouldn't be so hard to find, depending on the numbers, any of the hotels that have previously hosted sci-fi- or comic-cons would surely be amenable, wouldn't this hold true for the rest of the country too?

Anyway, point is, I'm here sharpening my pencils after the Comic Creator Challenge, ready to rock 'n' roll, hatch 'n' cross-hatch...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

one of the guys from the 3rd place posts here doesnt he? Would love to do something like this

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, John Hendrick (I think) is on here and posts from time to time. I was thinking along those lines myself, not least because I was reading Adam Murray's praises of John's midnight opening for Civil War #2.

Having not met him, I can't say much, but from the events I've heard of in the 3rd place, John seems like the kind of guy who might be interested in some involvement with this idea. Nonetheless, I still think we'd need to demonstrate a certain level of interest before anyone can be expected to commit to planning and preparing something in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lunar_

heyyy. 24 hour comicing sounds cool... count me in. anyway i can contribute or help out,im there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Briony Noh wrote:
    I'm always up for a challenge. Does anyone know how much (if any) preparatory work you're allowed to do? Or is the point to do none (except, possibly, the story outline and thumbnails(?)) and let it all flow on the day?

the offical "dare" states "No sketches, designs, plot summaries or any other kind of direct preparation can precede the 24 hour period. Indirect preparation such as assembling tools, reference materials, food, music etc. is fine." Check out the website listed in the first post for more info.

your also free to use whatever materials you want as long as you can bring them to where the event is taking place. For last years event I did 24 etchings in 24 hours which was great fun but i had to carry 24 etchings plates around which weighed a ton. there's a picture of the finished book which i had bound on my site

Fysh wrote:
    If anyone is interested in helping put something together or taking part in the event itself, post up here. If we get enough interest, maybe we can get in touch with one of the Dublin comic shop owners and discuss setting something up in conjunction with them...

I was planning on going round dublin and taking to people when i get back to the city [I'm currently in new york for MoCCA] but yeah i wanted to see what the interest was online before hand to see if it was worth putting in the effort. So far there seems to be some interest thou how many people will actually be able to do it with work/school/stuff I don't know.

Venue is prob the main thing after gettting people to actually do it - we did a 24 hour event a good number of years ago in temple bar in one the galleries but it wasn't me who arranged it.

I'm thinking it should hopefully be something people can arrange, given that the 7th is a Saturday.

I'm wondering if we could arrange something with a venue by having participants/onlookers contribute a set amount towards a given charity, on the basis that they'll get good publicity out of helping out a charity fundraiser. This is very much at a speculation stage though, so let's see what sort of a response we get in the next few days and weeks.

If you know anyone who wants to take part, point them to this thread - I'll sticky it so that it's at the top of the page. I'll also add mention of it on the comic creator challenge site when I do the next update.

Apart from the obvious Arthouse and Film Base(?), would the Hub be intersted in this sort of off-the-wall publicity? There's a new arts centre opening in Navan soon which might be up for it for us Meathers. I'll see if I can find out whom to ask. Then the Droichead Arts Centre springs to mind as an alternative Louth/Meath crossover place. I think I can get in touch with one of the managers there (friends of friends of acquaintances of buddies).

I know the Crypt Arts Centre closed in Dublin, but does anyone know if it re-located? Or if Dublin Castle would open the premises for such use?

You know, I'm starting to get a buzz about the whole thing. Am I crazy? (The question isn't necessarily related to the statement preceding it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

Howdy

If ye are trying to catch John Hendrick try www.millarworld.tv he generally floats around or else just pop into 3rd place. John is a decent chap and if anything like this pops up he will always give it a thought or 5 especially if its for charity

• Advertisement

WadeTalon wrote:
    Howdy

or else just pop into 3rd place. John is a decent chap and if anything like this pops up he will always give it a thought or 5 especially if its for charity

Yeah I'm planning on calling in and talking to him but I'm currently in New York for a comics thing so it will be the end of july before i can call in. I started this thread now so I could see if anyone was interested in doing the 24 hour comics before going ahead with sorting a venue and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Been a while since I actually settled down and got some full comic work done, this could be a great opportunity to dust myself off and get busy again, count me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

sounds great! count me, it'd be great to compress the creative process (ie stalling/scanning/rethinking/stalling) , 'live', and to do something with a buncha people even better!
    october is just round the corner, so getting a venue sorted is probably best to be first on the hit list i guess...The Project comes to mind as a place into something like that and able to accomodate it in one of their places, just i'd say they've a busy schedule. Or maybe we could look into that Cash N Carry place on thomas street? they've had darklight and then recently NCAD MA exhibitions, and would be a cool place. a big vacuuous sometimes, but a more creative setting maybe. Alternatively i'm sure we could get a community centre hall from the Council for free...just venue ideas anyway, but well up for helping set if you need a hand. adios

chrisfw wrote:
    ...The Project comes to mind as a place into something like that and able to accomodate it in one of their places, just i'd say they've a busy schedule.

couple of people have mentioned the project and i actually took part in a 24 hour drawing event there a couple of years ago so I know they can host something but wither they want to do something with comics is another story. I'm going to get in thouch with the people who did the drawing event and contact the project and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

that place St. Michaels church on essex street in emple bar, i think the Cultivate centre runs it- Darklight has an exhibition from Al and Al on there at the moment, doesn't seem to be used constantly but occasionally has events, exhibitions, plays etc, and Cultivate would be into any group collaboration i think. it's a big space anyway, good location and so on.
    also depending on space (the thought came along thinking of what if we DID have that huge space of the cash&carry) maybe we could make it an exhibition of sorts as well with spaces for artist/title/publisher, or just a piece from each person taking part. we could even carry on the charity idea to sell the work just for charity, not just the stuff produced on the day. buh. anyway.

there's also the option of running a couple of 24 minute comics info here and hereover the 24 hours [maybe one ever 8 hours or something] for people who for whatever reason can't do the 24 hour option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LucyR

sounds like brilliant fun! the 24minute one would definitely suit my lazy style of doodling :D

count me in for whenever it does happen, they got us shiney new trains for gettin to dublin :)

the 8 hour sounds easier for newbs like me, you could set up a creche corner sorta area for those of use who can't colour between teh lines

quick update for people - i got back from NYC on thursday, couple of days earlier then expected. Been in thouch with the project gallery with regards to venue and also spoke with someone from Easons with regards to sponsorship, I have to put everything down in writing for both which i figured i would but havent been told to no by anyone so far......need to follow up on several other places and people rec'd via this forum........that's all so far will keep everyone posted.

I for one am still very interested and may have just recruited someone else to take part. Have been planning my plot and everything (hope that's not against the rules) and what I'm going to use on the day to try and make it worth committing to paper. By which I mean I was thinking of going back to how I used to do comics as a kid - one lined jotter, a biro, a starting point and we're off - which would reduce the dependence on inked pencils and computers though it means committing to every line on the page from the start, no editing unless you decide the whole page has gone wrong and have to redraw it from the top. But some of the drawings could be much more spontaneous and fresh in those early, formative scribblings, and surely now that I'm a better overall draftsman ... anyway, hence the mental planning, kinda the way I imagine athletes must prepare for major meets (I'm a comics decathlon athlete now!).

As I say, still interested ...

Briony Noh wrote:
    I for one am still very interested and may have just recruited someone else to take part. Have been planning my plot and everything (hope that's not against the rules)

according to the "offical" rules your not meant to pre plan anything for the comic, however i really don't care about "offical" rules, I'm not going to be policing the event or anything like that. This is about getting people into comics and making art so do whatever you want however you want just glad people are so up for doing this :)

• Advertisement

Any updates on the plans for this? Or is there anything we can help out with? I'm really looking forward to this, if it all plays out right it will be great fun :)

Fysh wrote:
    Any updates on the plans for this? Or is there anything we can help out with? I'm really looking forward to this, if it all plays out right it will be great fun :)

letters and proposals have been written and submitted to a couple of venue options. Have to send another one to venue outside of Dublin I just spoke with during the week, but spent today stuck in bed with flu so will have to wait till tomorrow.

Spoke with some cartoonist friends in England, couple interested in coming over here for the weekend, others starting to put something together at their end so hopefully we can do an email/text update with each other over the 24 hours.

Waiting to hear back regarding venue once thats in order will get some posters together and start bugging people for help spreading the word.

hey all,

sorry its taken so long to update people on whats happening but it took ages to here back from some places. I was focusing on galleries and preformances spaces in the dublin city center area and a couple outside of dublin as i would have liked somewhere on street level that people could wander in and see what was going on - however the feedback was that none were able to support a 24 hour event [most listed 10.30 as the latest they would go] and a couple never got back to me.

So i got in thouch with hotels in the city center to get rates for the event and so far the average rate is 250euro. I can cover about 150 myself but would those taking part have an issue with paying a couple of euros on the day???

I have no problem putting up a bit of cash if needs be! ;)

sorry for not posting this sooner but I'm starting a new job on monday and have to move from dublin to kilkenny before that - ah mad panic.

Anyway 24 hour comic day is on - it will take place at central hotel [across from Sin City] october 7th 12 noon to October 8th 12 noon. Hope everyone is still excited about it. With new job and some money that came in I was owed from an illustration job I've got the venue covered, however people will have to pay for food/drinks, thou the woman i spoke to said she might be able to hook us up with something, I've got to call her next week to find out. they frowned over bringing outside food in but i figure as long as you dont advertise it it shouldnt be a big deal.

i'm putting a webpage together with info so if anyone has questions post them here so i can add them to the FAQ.

Also I'm finishing up the poster, with all the packing it got side tracked but will have it ready tomorrow/saturday at the latest. Cus I've got this new job to start I'm hoping i can get some people on board to get the news out there. i'm going to upload the poster to my website and people can download it and print it off themselves and post them round their area. I will get several big ones printed for the comic shops and other places.

Whoot! Bring it on, I'll be just back from Spain so should be rested and ready to roll out a comic. Will see what I can do about publicising it too, although might be moving soon myself.

WOOHOO! I'm game for this, to the point of rescheduling holidays to make sure I can make it up. Whether I draw anything worth a damn is another matter entirely...

(Also, ztoical...how's about getting everyone who takes part to contribute a one-page sketch/comic separate to the 24-hour comic and then, I dunno, auctioning them off or something? If we get comic people whose names are recognized involved you might be able to raise enough to cover the cost of the venue)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fysh wrote:
    WOOHOO! I'm game for this, to the point of rescheduling holidays to make sure I can make it up. Whether I draw anything worth a damn is another matter entirely...

Ztoical here - my brother is logged into our home computer and its taking forever to log out so i just gave up. SOoooooooo glad others are getting excited for this - the space fits about 30 and I really hope we get at least a good 20 but sure if its only a handful not matter as long as some are taking part.

Was thinking maybe those taking part could meet for breakfast somewhere before hand, have a good meal to start before we have to live on junk, cafine and sugar for the next 24 hours.

Yeah, a decent breakfast would definitely be a good start to the day. As well as a perfect chance for everyone to get acquainted. I'll do my best to get people from Cork to come up as well (there's one person who will almost definitely be interested, but I'll try and expand the scope...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Anyone get onto John from the 3rd place and see if he's interested in setting up a stall or something at this with the weeks new releases?

Advertisement