Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour comic day 2006

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Ztoical here - my brother is logged into our home computer and its taking forever to log out so i just gave up. SOoooooooo glad others are getting excited for this - the space fits about 30 and I really hope we get at least a good 20 but sure if its only a handful not matter as long as some are taking part.

Was thinking maybe those taking part could meet for breakfast somewhere before hand, have a good meal to start before we have to live on junk, cafine and sugar for the next 24 hours.

Wtf?

I'm still logged at home?

so very confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    so very confused...

take after your sister so.. *runs and hides under a stack of comics* .. he'll never think to look for me here

Speaking of which. Ztocial Need a hand at the 24hr? gimme a shout :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

ok, i don;t know about the politics of this, so time for the stupid questions. i have to work saturday, i won't be able to make it til at least quarter past 6! is it alright to do an 18 hour comic?? am i allowed to start thinking about stuff from 12? and i'm a bit muddled about materials...we bring everything ourself yeah? if i'm deciding the final product is a webcomic (or at least formatted in a computer), are we gonna aim to upload them by noon on the sunday, and if so to where, and to further the dumb questions will there be a scanner, printer (for those who want a paper end result), etc ( i can bring a decent a4 size flatbed scanner if we need, tho as i said it'll be in the evening...).
    mindlessly yours,
    cfw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Umm, having read a bit about McCloud's thoughts on how things should go, I'd reckon the following:

is it alright to do an 18 hour comic??

No reason why not - you might even get to name a new variant if you get it all done in time! (Though it'll take damn fast comic making...) (The previous variants are "Noble Failure" variants - not finishing at the 24 hour mark and stopping, or not finishing at the 24 hour mark and then keeping going until it's done)

am i allowed to start thinking about stuff from 12?

No reason why not, if you're planning on being a part of the challenge.

we bring everything ourself yeah?

Yep, although I dont think there's any rule against sharing materials or improvising movement.

if i'm deciding the final product is a webcomic are we gonna aim to upload them by noon on the sunday?

My understanding of it is that if the final product is a digital comic it has to be ready to upload by noon on sunday; being uploaded is optional. It depends on the available resources, I guess.

will there be a scanner, printer (for those who want a paper end result)?

I'd be surprised if there were unless someone has a really good portable rig for comic-making that they can bring along; that said, most of the efforts I've seen that involve any hand-drawn elements have been fully hand-drawn. Just another aspect of the challenge, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hey all,

sorry I've been AWOL but the internet connection here is rubbish. It took 20mins to log my brother out and another 20 to log myself in. I was trying to have a simple webpage with info and FAQ sorted but i'll die of old age before i get it done here. I'm back in dublin tomorrow evening so will be focusing on 24 hour comic day all weekend. Will get webpage and posters sorted and get back to all the people who PM/emailed.

I've been emailed a press release from the offical 24 hour comic day people so all suggestions of whom to send it out to are welcome. If there's somewhere local to you that you want to send it to let me know and I'll forward it.

Other then that please keep letting people know about the event whatever way you want to.

On the materials front, I will be bringing a decent supply of higgins ink and sumi ink and brushes if anyone fancies giving them ago. Also some good deleter nibs but i only have 2 pen holders. Will get back to the scanner/printer question and other things tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

poster_for_web.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Great poster, Z. I'm getting all excited again.

For publicity, I'm sure you've already thought of Ray D'Arcy. He's usually up for anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm getting stupidly excited about this. I've emailed every irish webcomic artist I know of to let them know this is on; whether they turn up or not is another matter, but I'll be printing off a poster to stick in my local comic shop tomorrow as well. Looking forward to this in a big way.

Regarding going for brekkie beforehand : who's up for it? And where should we meet?

Fysh wrote:
    Regarding going for brekkie beforehand : who's up for it? And where should we meet?

Well I'd be up for it. Not sure whats around there that would be serving breakfast - would the klymore be to far away?

I don't know the Kylemore near there, but what would I know about it?

There's a pancake place down the way a bit from the Central with a name I can never remember for some reason - I don't think it has anything to do with pancakes, anyway - or, of course, there's Powers Court where there's all sorts of goodies and a vegetarian option to boot. Or should we be supporting the Hotel itself? (I'll probably be in Sub City with a Snickers in one hand and money for the parking metre in the other - decisions, decisions).

Btw, Ztoical, can you post the entry requirements? I can't believe we're letting you foot the bill for all of this.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

ztoical wrote:
    Well I'd be up for it. Not sure whats around there that would be serving breakfast - would the klymore be to far away?

kylemore is other side of the river far as I know. Why not try flannerys or whatever its called they do breakies. Its behind the pen corner on dame st. (just a dame lane away from central hotel)

Briony Noh wrote:

Btw, Ztoical, can you post the entry requirements?

which entry requirement do mean briony? I've some posted over yonder but i've been trying to re-do the info with a rubbish dial up connection so let me know if theres information I need to whack up there.

It was reading the rools that raised the question, really, especially the bit that went, "As we have to pay for the venue and advertising and we're not charaging anything to take part, we cannot afford to provide food/drinks as well I'm afraid."

If I'm wrong in thinking that "we" is "you", then I won't worry, but if you're paying for everything I think some of us who can should probably help you out a little. I mean, twenty-four hours of solid, concentrated graft, who wouldn't want to pay for that?

Briony Noh wrote:

If I'm wrong in thinking that "we" is "you", then I won't worry, but if you're paying for everything I think some of us who can should probably help you out a little. I mean, twenty-four hours of solid, concentrated graft, who wouldn't want to pay for that?

we is me, i don't know why but when i wrote it as I it sounded weird? cocky? so i wrote we. I'll be honest and say that some money i was owed from last year and was meant to get today didnt show and I wasnt planning to chanage jobs and end up back on emergancy tax so I could prob use a little help - but i dont know how many people are going to show up for this and if it will be any good so i feel bad asking people for their money.

I love my job - got paid so venue is covered :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

huzzah, what's the scéal with parking up there?

the cork film fest are running summat similar the following weekend, gotta make a 3 mins short film from scratch in 24hrs

Tree wrote:
    huzzah, what's the scéal with parking up there?

I don't drive in dublin so I'm not sure, i think the cheapest option is to park out at the red cow [its like 4 euro for a full day] and take luas in. In the actually city center the car parks cost a bit [esp for 24+ hours] and i dont know if you can park on the street for over 24 hours [sunday maybe but not saturday]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

no parking attached to teh venue?

can you park overnight at the luas joint?

think some parts of dublin have overnight disc parking, what is the world comin to

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Regarding breakfast, the pancake place is called lemon and is just down the road from the Exchequer. There's also a Kylemore in Stephen's Green if you'd prefer that option. Not sure about parking but you could probably get something nearby, either that or leave it somewhere and make your way into the city on foot.

Had a practise run myself and tbh this is going to be tough work lol

Tree wrote:
    no parking attached to teh venue?
    to

No the hotel doesn't have any parking I'm afraid. The stephens green shopping center car park isn't to far and is 24 hours but it will cost a bit. My friend has parked over night at the red cow, how safe it is thou i can't tell you.

• Advertisement

oh well, red cow it is, at least i can nap on the luas :D

the Shades wrote:
    Regarding breakfast, the pancake place is called lemon and is just down the road from the Exchequer. There's also a Kylemore in Stephen's Green if you'd prefer that option.

That was the kylemore i was thinking of but i don't mind pancakes at lemon, what do others think? Does everyone else want big dirty fry up to start the day? there's a supermarket just down the street from the hotel that I've been told has a cafe in it, no clue what they serve.

awww man, fry's are great, will defo need summat like a fry on sunday, gotta start the day right on the long spin home

pancakes sound good too, im easy. not quite sure what time we'll hit dublin on sat, hopin to be up for about eleven

ok for breakfast how bout Bewleys on grafton street, not as far as kylemore and you'll get a big dirty fry. I was thinking about the IFI or wandering the temple bar food market, but I like Bewleys and I'm glad the grafton street one is still open. I need to head to the venue for bout 11.30ish just to make sure everything is ok - so I'm going to head to Bewley's for 10.30 and people can wander in over the hour if they wish - hows that?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Anybody going to get the list of random titles that will be posted on the official site? I've no net at home, I know, I know.... I'm a loser. How the jaysis do I set it up so my site details are attached to each post?

Hey Bob, I'm gonna do my best to get the random titles before I head up so that we can use them if we want. (If not I'm sure we'll find somewhere we can look 'em up when we're in town...)

As for setting your sig up, go here (that's the User CP option in the top left corner) and go to Edit Signature. You'll need to use tags rather than html for it (ie [ url=http://www.clamnuts.com]sig text[ /url] only without the spaces)

hey all don't know if anyone will see this before tomorrow but i only got back to dublin 20mins ago so couldnt post any earlier. I got a phone call from the hotel today saying they'd got alot of calls asking about 24 hour comics day which i'm taking as a good sign, they were worried too many people would show and i'm worried no one will show up so maybe this means will have just the right number :P

anyway i'm getting all set for tomorrow and i figure i will hit bewleys at 11 for breakie - I'll be wearing a yellow shirt with this print on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I'll be there as soon as I can get my ass into the city centre. Just gotta get everything organised feel like I'm packing for another trip. Good news about the phone calls to the hotel, really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

best of luck tomarrow sis.

• Advertisement

hey all just back to my flat now after an insane 24 hours - gotta to rush to get lift with fysh and tree down the country but lots of photos and some scans of pages will follow from people - for those who couldn't make it you missed some mighty craic - 15 people stuck in a room together drawing comics, Mad Bob Byrne who did his 24 pages in about 8 hours the nut, an appearance by Sexy Colin from getyourcomics, some awful ginger baby jokes at 3am that really got us through the night and a heap load of sugar and ketchup.

Advertisement