Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour comic day 2006

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T! S-M-R-T!" and "What's the difference between Neil Armstrong and Michael Jackson?".

What a weekend...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

I think you can be proud Ztoc.. went very well. Irelands first too!

great to meet yo guys :)

all recovered well from the anerisms? :rolleyes:

(I slept from 12.30 to 10pm yesterday. CRAZY)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Hey all, Yeah great turnout and again, fair play Clionadh for the great organisational activities. Didn't really get to yap with all involved as I was in turbo mode. I got it finished and will post it on my site later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think we nearly had a few more fits on the way back to cork courtesy of Tree's solvent-soaked comic pages. Has anyone checked that Rob is still alive, by the way? (If he had a fit remembering the jokes he might have ended up hurting himself...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

Didn't really get to yap with all involved as I was in turbo mode. I got it finished and will post it on my site later.

you're barred from the next one! *mummblemummblespeedytaltentedbackstardmummble*

In the waking viewing mines pretty crap and pretty small but fck it. Its my first full comic! (since I was 12 anyway)
    so I'm pleased to have done it.. regardless of brainshutdowns and marker highs (thanks tree) and devolving to a giggling mass :p

Roll on next year

3 cheers for Ztoc!

• Advertisement

Hip hip hooray!

Also, I did a quick write-up of my experience of the day. It's over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

thumbninja I still think yours was great. Minimalist comic but big on characterisation and heart. A little gem in my opinion.

For anyone who cares, me second 5 page story is now up on my devart page with an extra little piece of commentary on each page. It's like some kind of exciting yet also hugely disappointing DVD! :D

http://theimpossibles.deviantart.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Do you know why it was so great - cus I'm evil!!!!!!!! lol Everyone in work is been driven nuts with "i am so smart" over and over. Just got net access so will try and get my report/pics of the event up tonight/tomorrow and have put aside time this weekend to get everyones comics up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Have to confess, I'm still recovering. 24 hours - used to be able to do it in my sleep ;). To be fair, I was getting a cold, anyway, and it arrived yesterday morning by first post.

Enough of this self-obsession, a million marks to Ztoical for organising the most challenging challenge I've taken part in since I wrote my college thesis the night before it was due and got a distinction. Slightly less successful this time, in that I didn't finish - unless you count it as three panels per page, in which case I was three pages over - but I've uploaded my story-so-far at http://www.sendspace.com/file/rzfk1b, for anyone interested. It's 10 Mb, so it might be a bit dial-up-unfriendly, sorry about that. The title given was "1976, The Way It Should Have Been", but I dropped the 1976 cos I didn't have any old enough cars with me.

Thanks to everyone for providing such an entertaining day, if I weren't so anal I'd have loved to have joined in more. And congratulations again, Ztoical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

scanning my yokey as we speak, still reeks of markers :D next year i either dont use markers or we get a much much bigger room w/ fans...

still havent caught up on the sleep, damn work getting in the way of dozing. haven't replaced teh tyre that blew out on the way up yet either.

big slap on the back for ztoical, fun day/night/morning/whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Just checked out Bob's comic. Almost impossible to believe he managed such a high standard of work is such an incredibly short space of time. Well done that Bob. Liked the comic a lot. Anyone else put theirs online? Only popped in at the early stages of the day, and I'm curious as to how all those work in progress' turned out..

Aw shucks. Practice makes not perfect but adequate. Briony's one is deadly.Well done man

Cheers, Bob, that means a lot coming from someone who can not only draw well, but can draw well quickly! Your brain must be flying most of the time. I kept having to stop for a smoke to think about what had to come next.

Thanks again.

You know how it is, finding the time to put all the ideas down on paper is the hard part. I was dying for a smoke all day but knew if I went for one my pace would be thrown. Picking stuff that was quick to draw was half the battle.

Picking stuff that was quick to draw was half the battle.

So drawing half a battle was probably a bad idea on my part.

hey all picture time!!!!!!!! Got a sort of report and lots of pics up over at my blog thing my comic will be up at the weekend and i'll get in thouch with everyone about getting all the comics up somewhere together.

just posted some of my pages on my blog

I emailed Jon at the third place regarding a comic jam at the con next month but I don't know what the feeling will be towards it - this is looking more like a dealer show/mainstream fanboy con and jams are more connected with Smallpress/altenative press kinda deals.

Shall wait and see but we could have small jam in the new year sometime - maybe hit cork or something. I was thinking paddies day as they have a big comic jam in england for st georges day but i'll be gone to the thing in london that weekend so won't be able to organise it [well i could i just wouldnt be able to go :p ]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

jam would be nice, so would a comic drawing yokey... mmmmmmmm jam

what sorta time scale would you be puttin on it?

Tree wrote:

what sorta time scale would you be puttin on it?

I don't know, if its during the event I've got a table to run and while i'll have a happy helper i don't want to leave her on her own for ages. We could try a deal were people do an hour the swtich off with someone, or maybe aim to have it after the event or even on the sunday that way it could be a whole weekend of comic stuff [isnt there a quiz or something the firday night?] I don't know how you guys feel about that as you'll be coming from cork.

just to let people know i havent forgot about getting the 24 hour comics online - in fact ive ordered buttons with the superman space ship and the url on them to give out at the comic con next month. I'm mad busy getting ready for the stumptown comic con next weekend but will get in thouch with people about getting copies of their comics.

i still cant believe that solvent abuse spaceship is being imortalised behind plasticy stuff attached to "safety" pins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

i think we have a new market here, just take the 'scratch' out of 'scratch and sniff', a whole series of comics, pins, stickers, and action figures all for those long saturday afternoons of solvent abuse...
    I'm going to start writing my piece on the 24 hours event and surroundings this week, any input and samples of what you produced would be much appreciated! this is going into the Visual Artists Newsletter, so a nation-wide art world audience. the idea is the introduce the comics community and address it's wider impact and growth, and maybe explore some relationships to the art world. sounds a bit off i know but i'll figure it out. send comments and pictures (300dpi jpegs) to chrisfw at gmail.com!

Way after it stopped being cool and fashionable to do, I got mine scanned and online. Go here to remember the glory of a world without a France, the unending evil of penguins, and the dark secret of the Teenage Assassin!

(I'll probably print off a few copies and bring them up to the con...anyone else doing the same? Wouldn't mind doing a swap with folks, it'd be a nice reminder of the day and give me something other than THOSE BLOODY MARKER PENS to remember the day by)

Good work dudey, clever way of using the story titles and loads of laffs along the way.Page 7 is the strongest, the arial shot of the desk.

Fysh wrote:

(I'll probably print off a few copies and bring them up to the con...anyone else doing the same? Wouldn't mind doing a swap with folks, it'd be a nice reminder of the day and give me something other than THOSE BLOODY MARKER PENS to remember the day by)

I'm finishing up binding 50 mini comics of my 24 hour comic which will be free on my table and anyone else from 24 hour comic day has copies please trade with me and also feel free to dump copies on my table for others to see/take

Also I got the buttons so make sure if you were at the day you get a button of the superman ship to remeber it :P

(in the same tone used to refer to round chocolates)
    BUTTONS!!!!!

i dotn even know where i put my originals and there's not enough ink in the printer to do teh scanned copies, im sure i'll have something for christmas maybe tho9ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

whoops! knew there was something I was meant to do, unless I take advantage of the copier at work, doubt there'll be anything from me. Sorry!

Advertisement