Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation - Freecom Network Media Player

Options
  • 21-06-2006 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Bought this on an impulse last week, and I have to say that its a great little gadget for lovers of AVI files.... (its much better playing these on a 32 inch TV than a 19 inch monitor!)

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=585 (Without HD) - £89.99
    http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=995 (With HD) - £139.99

I bought the one without a HD, stuck a spare hard drive in, and it worked first go.

It can be used as a media player, an external hard drive, a JPG viewer and a music jukebox. It has a great set of connections at the back (the only one missing is SCART). It has built in volume control, long filename support, network support, a time search function, multiple aspect ratios, music support (MP3,WMA,OGG,WAV), DivX/XviD/VOB file support, stereo/optical 5.1/digital sound support, and more.

Check out the links for more info, but its definitely a great buy (for £89.99 is brilliant if you have a spare HD lying around at home).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hmmm. Interesting. Would certainly save me the time and hassle of burning DivX movies to DVD.

Quick question: The link says it comes with an ethernet port, but is there any support for a wireless net connection? Even the likes of a USB port? Failing that, does anyone know if there's such thing as a wireless adaptor you can plug into an ethernet port?

It'd be nice to sit this downstairs by the TV and not have to trail cables to the router! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The short answer is I don't know. I am moving into my new house next week, and one of the things I want to do is setup a wireless network. I won't know the answer until I try (or unless someone else can answer your question).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Had a bit of a scour around Google and found this: http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb03/reviews/dlink/dwl810.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is also the Pinnacle ShowCenter, which plugs into your telly like a normal DVD source, and your PC streams videos, pictures and music to it wirelessly or through an ethernet connection. I got one around Christmas, and have found it very good to use, despite some teething problems.

It supports a very wide range of formats, and I think it is HD ready. The only downsides are that the catalogue program doesn't really work as you think it should for series, and that it needs a reboot often enough.

The downside is that it was around €300, but it seems a bit more forward compatible than some of the other devices out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Im sure you could stick in a linksys wireless AP into the Ethernet port and move files ov to the HD from your PC... I really want one!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement