Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far will England go?

• 21-06-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭

Thought the other thread was a good idea.... just badly named/biased.

All personal feelings aside, how far do you think England will go.
    They should beat Ecuador and will most likely face Holland or Portugal in the QF.
    It should then be Argentina or Germany in the semis. I don't think England can beat either of these teams at the moment.
    On the other side of the chart, Spain, Italy or Brazil are most likely to get to the final.

How far will England get? 54 votes

2nd round
    0% 0 votes
    Quarter final
    7% 4 votes
    Semi final
    70% 38 votes
    Final
    20% 11 votes
    Winners
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i think Ecuador could give them a shock if they dont up their preformances!

and now with the Owen, Neville and Rio injuries its getting pretty hard for them! i dont think Campbell is up to it anymore and with Carragher filling in at right back he's the only option really to replace Rio! and they have very few attacking options left so if they are trailing in a game wat can they do to change it?!? very little!!

it doesnt seem like he's even gonnna bother with Walcott which means he wasted a squad place that Defoe/Bent could have taken and been a realistic option for Sven!!

but if they do progress into the QF's thats as far as they are going cos i dont see them getting past Portugal/Holland. both teams playing better football than England at the moment.

and any1 who comes up against Argentina has a major fight on their hands! Argentina are going to the final at the very least IMHO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bacchus wrote:
    It should then be Argentina or Germany in the semis. I don't think England can beat either of these teams at the moment.
    On the other side of the chart, Spain, Italy or Brazil are most likely to get to the final.
    Thats not right.
    It should be Spain or Brazil in the semis (assuming they both top their groups).
    The other half includes Germany, Argentina, Italy and France (assuming they top their groups).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Oops, misread the chart. :o Still though, I'd fancy Spain or Brazil to beat England too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I said it before the tournament and im saying it now, England are a very average team and dont have a hope of winning the trophy. They just dont play together as a team and have a truely terrible manager. All three performances so far have been poor and they really should have been beaten by the Swedes. They will struggle against Ecuador but I expect them to get past them and then get beaten in the quarter finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I bet none of you bet on Greece for Euro 2004.

Football..is a funny old game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Quarter Final, more than lightly (if im right) against Holland or Portugal...theyve no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd say semi finals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Quarters again probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Quarter-finals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Quarter-finals, in all probability.

Holland or Argentina will do for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

semis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney is due to perform on this stage, and I fancy England to reach the semis (not a chance to go further) ...I have them in my last 4 with Italy, Germany and Brazil in WC predictor competition, filled it out prior to WC. But with Argentina around they could also go all the way. I fancy Italy myself.

England are good enough to beat Holland/Portugal on a really good day, and an on song Rooney = England on a good day. I think the likes of Argentina/Germany will stop them in their tracks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll say quater finals.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm sticking by my Spain v England final prediction. They're scrapping out results without playing well and..........well there's no and, they're muck, but I've got money on that final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm sticking by my Spain v England final prediction. They're scrapping out results without playing well and..........well there's no and, they're muck, but I've got money on that final.
    Refreshingly honest!:D

Sure before the tournament I was telling anyone who'd listen that the only reason England were 2nd favourites with the bookies was cos everyone kept putting money on them and thus driving their price down... Spain were always my choice, and I stick by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Semi finals. A great squad of players but poor tactical arrangement, an inept manager at the highest level and a lack of proven goalscorers will prove their undoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Most likely the quarter finals.
    England would have a better chance against Portugal than Holland though.
    Dont worry people this World Cup is being dominated by teams playing good quality football and England aint one of them.
    I'm sure that once they do get knocked out the excuse list will have grown to epic lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Semis, maybe. I'd give them a shout against Portugal or Holland to be fair. They would have to get lucky and probably just nick a goal or two at important times, but I think they are capable of that. They certainly won't outplay anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yep. Definite Semi Finalists for me. I reckon they've got a pretty kind draw and I would fancy them to beat either the Dutch or the Portugese in the quarters. England always grow into tournaments and come the quarter finals you shall see a marked improvement. And you can take that prediction to the bank!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I think quarter finals at most. I don't think they have much of a chance against Holland or Portugal. They've got Rooney and that's all basically. No guile, shape or crativity in midfield, in defense Rio Ferdinand, a player who's been exposed time and time again as a mistake ridden excuse for a centre back. I just can't see Rooney getting the service to work his magic and them being expose at the back by the likes of Van Persie or Figo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tough call. England-Holland in quarters? If so I'd love Holland to beat England :D
    SebtheBum wrote:
    Spain were always my choice, and I stick by that.

Did you not see Spain play last night (Tuesday)? They were struggling big time. Somehow they seem to always have a bit of a block when it comes towards the latter stages. They failed to beat Ireland in the last 16 last time (but won on penos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Casanova Kid, Rio has been one of England's best players IMO. He was significantly better than John Terry against Sweden, and you'll notice that a large part of England's defensive collapse occurred in his absense. Rio (like Ronaldo) is a player that gets criticised way to much, although his occasional lapses are pretty stupid.

And unkel, I thought Spain were good against Tunisia. Sure, they conceded a freak goal through some uncharactaristicly poor defending from Carlos Puyol, but they kept playing patiently and controlled the game to a large extent until they won 3-1. With Alonso, Xavi and Fabregas in midfield, I think they have the strongest, most balanced midfield in the tournament. Torres is on fire, and Villa is playing well. The only position I would have concerns about is the link man, the Luis Garcia. But with the likes of Reyes, Joaquin, Iniesta, Raul, Senna and Albeda on the bench, I'm sure they can sort it.

And I know Spain are perrenial losers and whatnot, but looking at the 2002 squad, I see only 4 players who are also on the squad. (Raúl, Casillas, Puyol and Albeda) It's a different team.

Advertisement