Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo upgrade

Options
  • 21-06-2006 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. My specs are:

Cpu: P4 2993Mhz 800Fsb Ht (925x express)
    Mobo: Dell OU7084 (cant oc. Bios locked)
    Ram: 2046Gb DDR2 533 Pc2 4200
    HD: Intel 160Gb SATA 72000Rpm
    Gpu: nVidia GeForce 6800 Pci_E @410/750 oc
    Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2
    Speakers: Technics EH750 5.1
    Psu: 460W

Just ordered XFX 7900GT Extreme Edition. Think its goin 2 create bottleneck on my system with slow cpu. cant oc cpu because of Dell mobo so i am looking for a mobo upgrade 2 keep my system up 2 date and allow me to oc cpu. I'm planning full build next year so this is just to tide me over till then. Have posted elsewhere and got recommended this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=163197

What do u peeps think? Are there any other options available? What bout SLI? (Might buy another gpu in 2/3 months)
    Have loads of other ?s. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Unless you want to fiddle with pin-outs from the Dell power supply and case front-panel to make them work with a real ATX mobo, you'll probably be better off buying a new case (you can get some lovel cases for around 50euro) and a new powersupply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Didn't realise power connection would be different. turns in2 a big job. prob wait & do full build next yr with conroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's why I mentioned fiddling.

I've (thankfully) never had to do it, but I *believe* you just have to re-arrange the pins in the dell mobo power connector to match real ATX, or at worst buy/appropriate an actual 24-pin atx connector. You can pick up Vantec UV reactive molex/power connector sets for quite cheap.
    The front-panel *might be a little trickier. Depends what you will accept. If it's just the power, hdd leds and the pwr and reset switches, you should be fine, easy to rig up.

pop into Maplin if you can, they should have all the 2 and 3-pin connector heads you'd need for the front panel.

That said, I'm not 100% sure Dell use standard ATX mobo layout - in fact, if it's a relatively new Dell chances are it's a BTX board.
    200-300eur will set you up with a decent enough board (SLI Intel oc'ing jobbie 120-160), case (solid coolermaster or antec for 50-70eur) and powersupply (if you can use existing, 550W Fortran/Antec/whoever for 70-100eur) if you shop around.

Its Dell XPS Gen 4. Nearly sure it is an Atx board. looks like 1 (I'm no expert). same layout & size 305 x 245mm. Said in Dell that Atx board will fit. (Do i believe them)? not sure bout power supply connection.
    Have 6 pin Sli power connector comin from power supply which is what i'm gonna power 7900gt from.

pm me your email & i'll send ya few pics of board and connections etc (if ya think youre able 2 help)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Another possible problem you will have with upgrading to a non Dell Bios is that your copy of windows will no longer activate.

Build in another €90 or so into the price to replace the OS or be prepared to use some other or less legal version.

• Advertisement

have xp pro here. (friend stole it from work 4 me) hehe.......Shhhhhh!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Or you could just use the license key on the Dell, and ring microsoft and tell them that you had to do a re-install, I had to do it loads of times in the shop, they wont ask questions......

Ok checked out few things. it is an atx board. i do have a 24 pin atx connector and it will work in my case (i think). only probs (mods) i can see is the connections to front ie. on/off switch, hd led and 2 usb's. gonna loose usb's & big shiny Dell led on front of case (can live with that).

U lot prob think i'm off my head!!!!! Just lookin 4 sumthing to keep me busy.

Got 1 little prob tho. the power on/off switch on case connects to a pcb with the soundcard connections (headphones, mic & firewire). 2 connecting cables come off this pcb, 1 to the soundcard and the other to the mobo. Is this connection to the mobo standard for the power switch & Hd led? What kind of connection normally connects switch and Hd led?

Advertisement