Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen out of World Cup

• 21-06-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭

and heading back to England.
    Out for 5 months according to Sky News.
    I bet Erikson is glad he didn't bring Defoe now :eek:
    If Rooney gets injured they're ****ed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yikes, well its no surprise, you could tell the way he was on the sideline yesterday it was pretty bad. Newcastle will be thrilled, a 17 million crock.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Bad news for England, even worse news for Owen. It looked nasty and it just confirms his propensity to injuries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

t goes to show how stupid is was for Sven to bring only 4 strikers, one of which it looks like wont get his chance which means England now have ony 2 strikers they are willing to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Leaves England very short up front now. Can't see Walcott getting a game if they wouldn't chance him last night in a game that was not so important as they were already qualified. Guess it means plenty of long balls and boring football. Thought last nights game was a right bore, don't know how England survived before Gerard scored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone but I feel no sympathy for Owen whatsoever. There's almost poetic justice in the way his career has gone from bad to worse since he quit Liverpool.

All Eriksson needs now to look like a complete moron is another injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Crocked is right. I'd be surprised if he's not retired by 27/28.

I'll be suprised if he plays any part in another major tournament.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Owen has had some bad luck with injuries! i also think we wont see him in another major tournament again! he's too much of an injury risk at this stage! not bringing Defoe/Bent/Johnson was a very bad idea now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Real Madrid get payback for Woodgate ;)

I'd never wish injury on any player, but I can waive that wish for that little money grabbing traitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

zabbo wrote:
    Real Madrid get payback for Woodgate ;)

lol! they really did!!!

Owen hasnt had a decent run of games in a year anyway if not more with all sorts of different injuries(hamstring, groin, thigh, foot)! he had a few games at the start of the season but still missed a few games with those niggly injuries... Newcastle really need to think about what they are going to do with him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I wonder has anyone tried 4-6-0 yet? :D

Actually, now that I think about it and joking aside, didn't some Italian team do it this season to good effect?

Yeah but they had already paid off the ref! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pigman II wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it and joking aside, didn't some Italian team do it this season to good effect?
    Yea Roma, but only because they had no fit strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any clips? missed the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:

I think Japan would be better off playing 4-6-0 as their strikers are useless. Roma played last season with centre halfs and midfielders up front. :) Montella and Nonda missed the entire season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ardent wrote:
    I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone but I feel no sympathy for Owen whatsoever. There's almost poetic justice in the way his career has gone from bad to worse since he quit Liverpool.

All Eriksson needs now to look like a complete moron is another injury.

Get over club allegiances here. Michael owen did great for Liverpool when he was there, so remember him for the great player and what service he did for Liverpool. Besides everything Benitez quite obviously didnt want him.
    Hobart wrote:
    Bad news for England, even worse news for Owen. It looked nasty and it just confirms his propensity to injuries.

Im not sure what propensity means ;) , but the fact that Owen was quite obviously not fit going into the World Cup made him somewhat more prone to injury. The man played 30 mins of first team football in 5+ months. He was rushed back, and now he is suffering. I wonder could he, or Newcastle sue Sven/FA for this? Afterall his career could now be in tatters at the age of 26 due to the stupidity of this.

I wonder would Sven have brought him if this was his first, rather than last squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wonder could he, or Newcastle sue Sven/FA for this?

I hope they do, it's bull**** by the FA to rush back players from injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Kingp35 wrote:
    which means England now have ony 2 strikers they are willing to play

And one of them isnt fully fit. You can see rooneys brilliance but no way is he 100%. Basically England have one fully fit striker their willing to play and that striker is.....Peter Crouch. usless in the air and even worse on the ground. What was erickson thinking not bringing a fifth (or even decent fourth) striker? and the guy is paid 5mil a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gimmick wrote:
    Im not sure what propensity means ;) , but the fact that Owen was quite obviously not fit going into the World Cup made him somewhat more prone to injury. The man played 30 mins of first team football in 5+ months. He was rushed back, and now he is suffering. I wonder could he, or Newcastle sue Sven/FA for this? Afterall his career could now be in tatters at the age of 26 due to the stupidity of this.
    Probably the reason why Rooney didn't play the full 90. Imagine if he had of picked up an injury? Fergie would have been on the first plane to Germany to beat seven shades of sh1te out of Sven. (That last bit isn't easy to say!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm not sure if it was the fact that he ws rushed back that caused the injury, the kind of injuries which occur after coming back to soon are calf or hamstring strains/pulls. Owen's foot just buckled under him, it would have happened if he was 100%. Or am I missing the mark completely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Owen himself was pushing to get back fit for the WC, not for Newcastle. He had to be fit for his sponsorship deals.

They reckon that it was his long lay off, meaning that the muscles wouldn't be what they are if he had been playing every week, and make them weak enough to buckle like that. He's always had dodgy legs in the first place, and is probably one of the reasons 'pool got rid of them (on saying that Bellamy used to be similar injuries wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

astrofool wrote:
    He's always had dodgy legs in the first place, and is probably one of the reasons 'pool got rid of them
    They just got rid of his legs? Didn't the rest of him go? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Forget England, newcastle can't go some of another season without him.
    We're dead! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

FA should pay every penny of his wages from now till hes fit, if it was Man Utd/Rooney they would after being sued or to avoid it.

The guy wasnt fit so shouldnt have played, im no doctor or international manager but i could see that.

kdjac

^ Agree 100%, they should have to pay every penny of his wages, and medical bills, as well as compensation to NUFC.

In an odd way, i hope Rooney gets injured. The circus surrounding that will be amazing!

You're entering dangerous territory when you talk about Football Associations paying Newcastle for Owens injury.

The FA might be able to cover the potential costs but what happens when Newcastle starts demanding small associations eg the FAI to pay Shay Givens wages or Chelsea to pay for Damian Duff cos I could definetly see us having no options but taking both of them to a championship.

provided they injured themselves at a major tournament "if" we ever qualify...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, it's different with a non-injured player, but when there is a player returning from injury, with a significantly higher risk of injury, it's bull**** for him to be expected to play in the world cup.

I see your point, but Owen had played less than 45 minutes of football in 5 months, was clearly not match fit at the end of the season, didnt look fit at all in any England game since the end of the club season, yet he was brought to the World Cup despite all of this.

If a club (those who pay his wages etc) doctor deems a player unfit (I dont know, did NUFCs do this???), and the national association deems otherwise, then its up to the national association to cough up.

Perhaps I am being overly simplistic to the matter?

• Advertisement

So (in the unlikely event that we qualify for '08) everyone here would be happy to leave Given or Duff at home if they were in the same condition as Owen was just prior to Svens squad selection?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/5103490.stm

Fa paying them, clubs shouldnt be paying them whether its a big FA or small one, simple contracts with your FA would do it, wont be club level wages but would be something whether players do or dont is their problem.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The FA have an insurance policy out on all the England players during the tournament. Newcastle will be recieving compensation from the insurers.

Pigman II wrote:
    So (in the unlikely event that we qualify for '08) everyone here would be happy to leave Given or Duff at home if they were in the same condition as Owen was just prior to Svens squad selection?

Yes would rather a fit playerr than an unfit player regardless of who they are.

kdjac

but it's dependent on whether they could be fit a la Rooney or if they had a broken leg - in which case yes they'd (obviously) have to be left at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

But if he was medically cleared to play football ("match" fit or not) would you really have been able to tell Michael Owen to stay at home? I really doubt it. He would have told Newcastle to go **** themselves. It's not the same as the Rooney situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What a fcuking joke. Shearer, Woodgate, Bellamy, Owen etc etc. Gullit was right, Newcastle are cursed. Fvck the England team! Every decent player we sign is prone to regular 5 month injury spells (while the likes of Ameobi remain injury free). Yet I'd still take Bellamy and Woodgate back in a heartbeat. The dream of seeing Newcastle field a full strength side this millenium lives on.

Newcastle to get compo
    Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has confirmed that the club will receive compensation from the Football Association for Michael Owen's injury.

Owen was ruled out for several months with knee ligament damage after falling awkwardly in the draw with Sweden.

The England striker has returned to the Newcastle to begin his rehabilitation.

Shepherd said: "The FA insures England players when they are on international duty should compensation issues arise and that applies in Michael's case."

FA spokesman Adrian Bevington agreed: "We have an insurance policy in place for all players that covers their salaries while they are injured."

Owen has managed only 10 starts and one further appearance as a substitute since his arrival at St James' Park last summer.

"The FA have a level of compensation and we insured Michael above that but compensation isn't high enough in my opinion." Said Shepherd

"I nearly vomited when it happened. You can imagine, we've just got him fit for England, he's played very well for Newcastle this year, he plays two games for England, and he is substituted.

"And now he's sent back to Newcastle for us to more or less pick up the pieces. So we don't think any manager, or chairman, or supporter, is going to be very happy with that."

Mike.

Advertisement