Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Yes, I did read the thread.

The VRO had no problem at all giving me my note (which doesnt have any time limit on it), and said they see the same thing several times a week, and that they realise it will take 4 - 6 weeks. Once you don't delibertly try and avoid the VRT, and come across as being genuine, then they'll react accordingly.

You've got to be patient with the DVLA. Even for within UK changes in registration, they'll take their 4 - 6 weeks to send the V5 out. They'll send the v5 out as soon as they process (or fail to, in our case) it, no intervention required...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

In my case the note from the VRO was valid for 1 month - maybe they judge the time limit on haw dodgy you look! I have to say the DVLA are slow compared to Shannon. I recently had to got a duplicate log book (or what ever you call it these days) and also got one for the car I imported - both took 2-3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Update :):):)

After Much bungling by the DVLA and I suspect Royal Mail.

Eventually today my Certificate of Permanent Export Arrived. I posted the Form exactly today month ago, June 21st. I had phoned them up that day and they said print down the form and send it into us. I did just that. They told me that I had made a blunder and should have held onto my V5C (Vehicle Registration Certificate) and just filled in the part for permanent export and detached it and sent it into them and the rest of the V5C would have done me and the Irish Authorities. Instead my dopey car dealer left me with the part that should have gone into the DVLA, the New keeper supplement (section 10) and the Notification of Permanent Export (Section 11).

I rang them about two weeks ago wondering would it be long more to go and they told me "Sir, We received your V5C (Vehicle Registration Certificate) from you car dealer three weeks ago and posted it out to you within three days of receiving it" The had sent me out the Vehicle Registration Certificate that my dealer should have given me anyway.

Murphy's Law then kicked into action and this was obviously lost in the post, Royal Mail and An Post :- Which is the lesser of two evils? Anyway they told me they had it flagged in their system and their was no need to issue me with a certificate of permanent export as I was issued a Vehicle Registration Certificate, as this was obviously lost they then issued me with a certificate of permanent export which had to rejoin the queue at the bottom, but anyway it came and now I'm as happy as larry, and will VRT the Beemer next week.

Word of Warning, Bring your Vehicle Registration Certificate with you when buying from the UK and detach the aforementioned Notification of Permanent Export (Section 11) and sent it to the DVLA and NOT the Vehicle Registration Certificate as my dealer done.

I arrived in Cork, Monday morning June the 12th and it will be 6 weeks this Monday since as a result. Of course part of the waiting is my own fault as I didn't originally decide to pay the VRT on the Car until a week and a half later. One month the DVLA took, still who cares and I am good form even though I got a rough "breaking in" with the paper work side of things with my first experience of "Importing from the UK" thanks fellas for all the help garnered and the original thread "Importing from the UK" was a massive help to me.

I anyone would like to create a new sticky of "official documentation: - what to know" I will gladly assist with my newly gained knowledge of the UK system. Irish and other Nations Documentation could feature, and sample scans with names number blanked out would be quite handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I suppose the VRT will have gone up in the last 6 weeks too......................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

All of the above happened to me too.

Took 6 weeks to get the V5 back from Swansea.

And do ya think I had managed to hold onto the VRT money that long?

It was a tough Chrimbo....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Good you got is sorted Netwizzkid. So whats this 316 like? I was considering one, but bought a uk import civic coupe instead. Thank god i was given the full V5 though. Are you happy with it after all the hassle, any pics? Did you save much from bringing it in, or is it just thats its a better spec and less battered than an Irish one.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Good you got is sorted Netwizzkid. So whats this 316 like? I was considering one, but bought a uk import civic coupe instead. Thank god i was given the full V5 though. Are you happy with it after all the hassle, any pics? Did you save much from bringing it in, or is it just thats its a better spec and less battered than an Irish one.

The 316 is a complete peach to drive, it’s an automatic but man can she go, Not that I intend to drive fast. The car has 68,000mls which is practically nothing everything checked on the background search, no finance owing etc. I am well happy with it and it wasn't that much hassle.

The car is I reckon maybe one of 5 in the country. It is very rare to get a 316 with Leather seats (beautiful cream leather) and Climate Control Air Conditioning. Not just ordinary air-con where the air blows cold but you can adjust it stay at whatever temperature you like. Add to that it is Midnight Blue (A Navy type colour) metallic so it won't fade. It also has a brand spanking new JVC CD Stereo fitted.

All for the knock bottom price of £3,875 or €5,750 with €1107 VRT to Brian Cowen and I'm right. The car would easily sell for between €12,000 and €15,000 here If I was to break my heart and part with it. It is my dream car and I spent the last 3 yrs researching the whole thing and drawing up disaster and contingency plans. Everything went fine thank god.

Watch out World netwhizkid is going behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

It took exactly 4 weeks for my V5 to come back from the DVLA with no intervention on my part (was happy to let it happen in it's own time). There was no problem at all getting a covering note from the VRO as soon as I brought in my car - it took less than 2 minutes in the office and they said they give them out all the time.
    In the meantime I was earning interest on 20k, the vrt came down by €60 and I've got an extra month of road tax. So, imho, I don't see the point in panicing if the seller sends the v5 back to the dvla. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

netwhizkid wrote:
    All for the knock bottom price of £3,875 or €5,750 with €1107 VRT to Brian Cowen and I'm right. The car would easily sell for between €12,000 and €15,000 here If I was to break my heart and part with it.

Are VRT valuations really that low on that car? What year is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

dont mean to sound sceptical netwhizkid, but if it cost you 6500 and you say you could sell it for 12-15k?! Id like to see some proof in what you say. I worked in the car industry for a while and those kind of figures are crazy talk. I just brought in a car myself and saved maybe 1500-2000 max. So id love to see a break down of ur figures. Im not thread bashing, i am genuinely interested. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

netwhizkid wrote:
    The 316 is a complete peach to drive, it’s an automatic but man can she go,
    Bollocks.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Not that I intend to drive fast.
    Bollocks.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    The car has 68,000mls which is practically nothing
    True, service history dependant of course.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    everything checked on the background search, no finance owing etc. I am
    well happy with it and it wasn't that much hassle.
    Imports generally aren't, if the homework is done...
    netwhizkid wrote:
    The car is I reckon maybe one of 5 in the country.
    Bollocks.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    It is very rare to get a 316 with Leather seats (beautiful cream leather) and Climate Control Air Conditioning. Not just ordinary air-con where the air blows cold but you can adjust it stay at whatever temperature you like.
    Wow! Climate control? Like what where you select the temperature?
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Add to that it is Midnight Blue (A Navy type colour) metallic so it won't fade. It also has a brand spanking new JVC CD Stereo fitted.

All for the knock bottom price of £3,875 or €5,750 with €1107 VRT to Brian Cowen and I'm right. The car would easily sell for between €12,000 and €15,000 here If I was to break my heart and part with it.
    Bollocks.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    It is my dream car and I spent the last 3 yrs researching the whole thing and drawing up disaster and contingency plans. Everything went fine thank god.
    Bollocks.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Watch out World netwhizkid is going behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Indeed...

You live the american dream buddy with your 1.6 automatic...sigh...

Another "ads".

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That is hillarious! a 97 1.6 Auto for 15 grand!

makes my 2002 316ti 1.8 for 17950 seem cheap now!

(I shudder to think what car you had before if you find a 316 automatic fast)

colm_mcm wrote:
    That is hillarious! a 97 1.6 Auto for 15 grand!

makes my 2002 316ti 1.8 for 17950 seem cheap now!

(I shudder to think what car you had before if you find a 316 automatic fast)

Ok I grossly overestimated my car's value, however it was good fun watching other posters get all hot and bothered. €9,000 - €10,000 maybe €15,000 = Rip off Ireland.

As for cars before, well it is my first car, and being used to my parents pathetic Diesel Cars it seems nice. However it is the creature comforts etc. that I much prefer. I must say it will be a challenge to keep it good, as the cut of our roads is nothing short of a thundering disgrace. The council seems to have relegated all back roads to a nature reserve status and the should have all the hedges and ditches trimmed back. I have a blanket ban from driving my car on these roads except in life or death situations. Muppets then who come drive on these roads like the Indy 500 come on like they are a total mess.

I am officially now married to my car and it really has made my dream come true, my pride and joy it is, and God help the first fe*ker who tries to steal and damage it as was the case of an Ambulance Driver recently who was stabbed after rumbling some scum bags trying to steal his Beemer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RoundyMooney careful now. Thats a lot of ballcocks.

Mike.

Advertisement