Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a Virtual server on Eircom BB ?

• 21-06-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

:eek: < -- love that smilie

anyway.. i have 3mb Eircom Broadband running at home on a wireless network with 3 pc's (well 1 pc and 2 laptops)
    im running MySQL / Apache / PHP all on the main PC for local testing when building sites... and i can access these sites using my Network IP of the main pc with no problem (ie. 192.168.1.101/public).. however i cannot access this when on an external pc to the network ie using my eircom IP addy (216.xxx.xxx.xxx/public)

im also using NO-IP and it connects fine to the no-ip server and refreshes my IP addy no problem.. but the url i have in NO-IP to direct to my terminal wont connect.. i have pinged it and my ip and both are responding fine..

im having this problem aswell on VNC.. i have the vnc server running on my main pc and can connect in on port 5800 fine using the network ip on any pc on my network again but not using my eircom IP from an external pc..
    the router im using is a AIRLINK 101 and im nearly sure its a port forwarding issue, but i am green to all this.. and dont even know if eircom Block transmitting on certain ports...?

any advìce on this would be deadly!! cheers

(i was going to try search before posting but the search function is disabled at the moment)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

you need to setup port forwarding on your router so it knows where to send the incoming packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

cheers man.. thats what i suspected.. i'll look into that tonight when im home :) hopefully i can get this working :D:D now to find some info on Port forwarding for my router...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

cheers man.. thats what i suspected.. i'll look into that tonight when im home :) hopefully i can get this working :D:D now to find some info on Port forwarding for my router...

try www.portforward.com - gives info for quite a lot of routers

cool.. i found a pretty good set of instructions for my router..

try www.portforward.com - gives info for quite a lot of routers

thanks man.. think i know where im going now :D:D

i'll let you all know how i get on

Thanks for the replys

• Advertisement

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was setting up port forwarding last night at home.. and reading some instructions on Airlinks website.. they suggested updating the firmware first.. so i did... but of course they failed to announce the fact that it wipes all your connection / configuration settings.. so now i cannot access the web at all!!... LONG LONG shot.. but does anyone here use a AR410W airlink super g router.. can you save your settings and email to me? or if anyone can list the most important general settings needed for wireless routers... my head is done in at this stage :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

From eircom's BB support.

Basic modem settings:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

Any use?

hopefully :) thanks man, im on my lunchbreak at 4pm.. so i'll rally home and try out some of that...

anyone else with anything.. feel free to post up :D

:(:( not a happy camper....

i have tryed a few different configs and still unable to get web pages..

i have included screen shots of all relevent screens on my router config page
    ... could any of you experts look at them and tell me if im missing something..
    http://toyotagtturbo.com/gallery_view_album.php?cid=261
    (you might need to press the "printable view" button on the pics to see a larger version)
    cheers..

there is a chance that i broke the router by upgrading the firmware while connected wirelessly.. but i just wanna rule everything elso out before i buy a new one..
    im gonna post this in "wireless" too incase some of the people in there dont read this thread..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

:(:( not a happy camper....

i have tryed a few different configs and still unable to get web pages..

i have included screen shots of all relevent screens on my router config page
    ... could any of you experts look at them and tell me if im missing something..
    http://toyotagtturbo.com/gallery_view_album.php?cid=261
    (you might need to press the "printable view" button on the pics to see a larger version)
    Picture number 4 has a "DHCP Release" and "DHCP Renew" button. According to the Quick Install Guide "Note: If the status is disconnected, click on DHCP Renew (for Cable Modem), or Connect (for DSL
    Modem)". You don't have a "Connect" button, which suggests that you haven't set up PPPoE on the device (even though the WAN connection shows "DHCP Client Connected").

The QIG suggests going to the Setup Wizard, on the last menu item on the left, and checking the PPPoE settings there.

(I presume your modem is in bridged mode?)
    there is a chance that i broke the router by upgrading the firmware while connected wirelessly..
    If you screwed up the firmware upgrade, you wouldn't have any screenshots to uprload - screwed up firmware will totally screw up a device, not just the bit of the device that logs into your DSL connection.

• Advertisement

oh.. that sounds like a bit of light at the end of the tunnel...

tell me.. when im setting up pppoe it asks for my username and password
    i presume this is my eircom bb password and user..
    now i cant remember what i used for this password so i tryed resetting it through the netopia config screen, but it just forwards you to eircoms site.. and does not tell you if it was successful or anything...

if i call them will the be able to tell me my username and password?
    the account is in my Girlfirends name, but she is away till monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Basic eircom broadband settings are:

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

now i cant remember what i used for this password so i tryed resetting it through the netopia config screen, but it just forwards you to eircoms site.. and does not tell you if it was successful or anything...
    Are you using the netopia as a router, or is it in bridged mode? (Probably a silly question - I'm guessing that you posted the screenshots by plugging directly into the netopia).

Using two routers back to back is a bit inefficient, but it will work okay as long as they are both using different subnets. As far as I can tell from your screenshots, both of your routers are trying to use the 192.168.1.x subnet. That means that the Airlink doesn't know that it's supposed to pass your requests onto the Netopia, because it thinks 192.168.1.1 should be on a LAN port, not the WAN port.

On screen shot 1, change the Airlinks IP address to 192.168.2.1, and change the Start and End IPs to 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.199. Then the Airlink will know how to pass your requests to the Netopia.

You don't need PPPoE set up on the airlink in this scenario.

Foxwood wrote:
    Are you using the netopia as a router, or is it in bridged mode? (Probably a silly question - I'm guessing that you posted the screenshots by plugging directly into the netopia).

Using two routers back to back is a bit inefficient, but it will work okay as long as they are both using different subnets. As far as I can tell from your screenshots, both of your routers are trying to use the 192.168.1.x subnet. That means that the Airlink doesn't know that it's supposed to pass your requests onto the Netopia, because it thinks 192.168.1.1 should be on a LAN port, not the WAN port.

On screen shot 1, change the Airlinks IP address to 192.168.2.1, and change the Start and End IPs to 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.199. Then the Airlink will know how to pass your requests to the Netopia.

You don't need PPPoE set up on the airlink in this scenario.

LEG - END!!!!!!
    Fox man you have me sorted :):) i changed the ip range and am back online.. im running out the door ro practice with the band now, but will try the port forwarding for server/ vnc tomorrow.. but for now.. Thanks a million.. your a star!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

isnt that technically against the AUP?

LEG - END!!!!!!
    Fox man you have me sorted :):) i changed the ip range and am back online.. im running out the door ro practice with the band now, but will try the port forwarding for server/ vnc tomorrow.. but for now.. Thanks a million.. your a star!!!!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the "inefficiencies" that I mentioned above is that port forwarding isn't going to work well for you with two back-to-back routers. You can make it work, but it means setting everything up twice.

You might get away by setting the "NAT Default Host" on the netopia to the Airlinks WAN IP address (essentially putting the Airlink in the Netopias DMZ), but the more usual way to do what you're trying to do is to put the Netopia in "bridged mode", and set up PPPoE on the Airlink.

I posted a link to the Netopia settings for "NAT Default Host" a few days ago. If I can find it again, I'll post it again.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    isnt that technically against the AUP?
    Huh? How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

have a read of it! :)

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    have a read of it! :)
    FFS, go away and stop wasting our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If he's only running it to practice with himself it's only really a server in the technical sense of the term anyway, I don't think anyone could give a toss about the AUP.

You really really shouldn't update a firmware while connected wirelessly by the way OP, it's asking for a bricked piece of hardware.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the "inefficiencies" that I mentioned above is that port forwarding isn't going to work well for you with two back-to-back routers. You can make it work, but it means setting everything up twice.

You might get away by setting the "NAT Default Host" on the netopia to the Airlinks WAN IP address (essentially putting the Airlink in the Netopias DMZ), but the more usual way to do what you're trying to do is to put the Netopia in "bridged mode", and set up PPPoE on the Airlink.

I posted a link to the Netopia settings for "NAT Default Host" a few days ago. If I can find it again, I'll post it again.

dagnammit lol.. one thing after another.. lol.. well at least im back online now anyway.. post up that link whenever you get a chance and i'll try setup in bridged mode.. cheers for your help so far man :D
    You really really shouldn't update a firmware while connected wirelessly by the way OP, it's asking for a bricked piece of hardware.

lol i know now.. lol got some fright when i read about it after.. hehe

im sorted now :D found instructions on netopia's site and bridged...
    and setup my wireless router too pppeo :D

everything seems to be fine now.. vnc is working properly and i can also access my test sites that im running off my server :D:D

thanks for all your help lads.. specially foxwood

im sorted now :D found instructions on netopia's site and bridged...
    and setup my wireless router too pppeo :D

everything seems to be fine now.. vnc is working properly and i can also access my test sites that im running off my server :D:D

thanks for all your help lads.. specially foxwood
    Glad to be of help!

Advertisement