Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test driving a car

Options
  • 21-06-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Im going looking at a car in the next few days. If I buy it I will need to drive it back home.

Im not insured on any car at the moment, all I have is my full licence.

How do I set it up so I could drive this home if I decide to buy it? (or just to test drive it???)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Simple answer - Get someone with Open Drive on their policy to drive it home.
    Mum or Dad or whatever, It's too difficult or impossible to arrange one day's cover on the car in your own name.

Don't even think about driving it home yourself without insurace, It's just not worth the hassle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ring the insurance company and get a quote. Ask them the exact same question. When you buy the car, ring them up and ask them to enable your policy. Then drive home.

Presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

AlienGav wrote:
    Simple answer - Get someone with Open Drive on their policy to drive it home.
    Mum or Dad or whatever, It's too difficult or impossible to arrange one day's cover on the car in your own name.

Don't even think about driving it home yourself without insurace, It's just not worth the hassle :o

Open Drive usually only applies to car which are already insured... So this persums that the original owner still has the vechicle insurced...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

If you're buying a car you're going to have to organise insurance anyway. Get your policy set up and tell them you will confirm the start date/time once you know when you're collecting your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

jhegarty wrote:
    Open Drive usually only applies to car which are already insured... So this persums that the original owner still has the vechicle insurced...

Not neccessarily true, Open Drive will cover a vehicle once the said vehicle is taxed, and in another person's name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement