Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another simple question

• 21-06-2006 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm thinking about buying a digital piano with, naturally, a midi out connection.
    What is the best way to connect this to a MacBook Pro? I only have USB on the Mac.

If there is more than one way, then what are the advantages of each?

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Actualy, I've just seen this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-MIDI-CABLE-INTERFACE-2M-PC-ELECTRIC-KEYBOARD-NEW_W0QQitemZ7424025993QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this do the job or would I be loosing anything with just a direct cable swap?

Cheers,
    S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You should check to see if the conversion adds anymore latency than a direct connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

try these
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=midikeyboardcontrollers
    click on the images to get full specs, I have a this
    mk425c_460.jpg
    and I cant fault it.

No, I'm talking about a full scale piano. It's only got a piano effect on it, which is grand, but I'm mainly looking to hook it up to the mac to record midi.
    Again, this is coming from pianistm, not a dance-head. No knobs and buttons, just keys and midi :)

Anima, how would I be able to tell the latency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

I'm thinking about buying a digital piano with, naturally, a midi out connection.
    Oh sorry I thought you were looking to buy one, so you already have do you?latency will be the difference between when you hit a key on the piano to when the sound comes out of the MacBook Pro.
    a slight delay it can be quite bad with some boards and with that connection it could make it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The latency is mainly to do with your asio or whatever drivers your using so I'd check them out first. What kind of sound card do you have?

This maybe irrelevant to what you want to do but its worth looking at.

To start with, I'm just going to be using the onboard sound on my MacBook Pro. At this rate, I think I'll jsut patch up my desktop, I've an Audigy 2 Platinum on that, so I think I'll just use midi and let my MacBook Pro go to waste... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sinecurea wrote:
    It's only got a piano effect on it, which is grand

that gave me a chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

Maybe Im confused but if your only recording midi your not actually recording any sound just the midi, which is information ie. note start, note stop, how long the sustains, that kinda thing.
    So if you only want to record the midi in you just need a midi connection to your mac and dont need to use any audio imputs/outputs.
    This method isnt much good though unless your mac has some onboard sounds of virtual instruments as you will just have midi info on your mac with nothing for the midi info to trigger.

http://www.myspace.com/hybrasil

Advertisement