Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for Chorus BB / Limerick

• 21-06-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Has anyone got recent info on the rollout of Chorus cable BB in Limerick?

Like: what, when and where?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

I think you will be waiting i had powernet with them until 2004 when it stoped working. They did not know why it stoped so they had to remove the equipment and promised me that they would be offering a cable service in my area in 3 months. Still no word of a date for Limerick coverage, Chorus are a joke of a company i would go with Smart or Digiweb if you want internet access anytime this century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

Yeah I know they're unreliable alright...

But I heard they were rolling out cable in Dooradoyle/Raheen by September..???:confused:

I have been given dates for roll out from them for ages i was even told in 2001 when i got in powenet that cablenet would be in my area in the next 6 months. I woulnt listen to anything they say, until its out in your area then you will have it in a few months if your lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Chorus have been doing a lot of work laying cables in the Raheen/Dooradoyle are lately. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones responsible for all the power outages that we had a few weeks back. The first day the power went they were outside digging, and several times after that too. Now that they've gone, no problems anymore.

Anyway, with all this new cable being laid down, maybe they are preparing to roll out cable broadband soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

chorus have started their upgrade in limerick and when there finished in there it will have the best cable system in the country , the nodes are only going to be 400 home nodes and will go from 88 to 850 mhz forward , i do nt know how long it will take to finish though probably two years

• Advertisement

com7 wrote:
    ...the nodes are only going to be 400 home nodes and will go from 88 to 850 mhz forward...

In English pls!! :confused:

Cable broadband uses shared bandwith, so if everyone in an area signs up to the service and they all use it at the same time then it will run really slowly. The less people that are connected in the same area the higher the speed you should have. What he is saying is chorus are not connecting lots of people to the same bandwith, so you should ahve a more constant speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Oh, Chorus are still in business?

I am astounded that anyone is still with them given the availability of Sky Digital. They are about the same price, offer dire picture quality, about a dozen channels, frequent outages, no widescreen... did I mention the dire picture quality? Pathetic.

If they offer the BB independently of their TV package then I might consider it... though probably not. The fact they haven't managed to get their act together regarding the net for so long is ridiculous. Bunch of morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am astounded that anyone is still with them given the availability of Sky Digital. They are about the same price, offer dire picture quality, about a dozen channels, frequent outages, no widescreen... did I mention the dire picture quality? Pathetic.

If they offer the BB independently of their TV package then I might consider it... though probably not. The fact they haven't managed to get their act together regarding the net for so long is ridiculous. Bunch of morons.

I think you are referring to the analogue service of many years ago.
    Widescreen certainly works on mine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Both Chorus and NTL Ireland are now both owned by the same parent company, UPC Ireland. Combined they are the largest pay tv provider in Ireland.

• Advertisement

They are still ****e though :D

bk wrote:
    Combined they are the largest pay tv provider in Ireland.

Not for much longer. They sat on their laurels for years; and their entire product range is now over-priced and under-spec.

Fact: the only reasons they have *any* cable customers left are:
    - Sky require a phone line
    - Sky don't have C4 (in the Republic :confused: )
    - Chorus Sports (for GAA; about to get the axe anyway).

Personally I think Chorus treated their customers with contempt for years-- like a monoploly treats a captive audience. They didn't abuse their monopoly by price-gauging, but the abence of competition (and latterly their failure to wake-up to competition) meant they failed to innovate/upgrade.

The only way back for them, which I can see, would be to BLITZ their cable customers with a sweet deal for integrated services (cable BB, cable tv, phone).
    And by BLITZ, I mean they will have to cost LESS than the sum of the cheapest alternatives:
    • Smart BB & Phone(35) + Sky (21.50) = €56.50

I doubt Rupert Murdoch is losing much sleep over the prospect of this!

The main reason they have customers is because there analogue system can run a number of different televisions at the same time without paying extra which you have to do with sky. When the analogue system is switched off they will have no customers

Advertisement