Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

Options
  • 21-06-2006 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Do many LC students get grinds these days? Has teaching not improved at all since i was in school (about 15 years ago!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah I got some badly needed grinds:

1)Irish (honours)- because my teacher was absolutly TERRIBLE and I hadn't a hope in hell of passing without them!

2)French(honours) - not because my teacher in 6th year was bad, she was actually quite good, but the teaching i had in the subject up to junior cert was non existant so I needed all the extra help i could get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

yep!
    i had Maths and French grinds coz my teacher didnt teach the course basically :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Maths, although not because the teacher was bad, purely because I'm pretty bad at maths and got roped into doing Honours.

Physics, because the teacher was difficult to follow.

Physics cause i didn't pay Any attention until Christmas of 6th year.
    I did a one week course in the Institute (easter)

French, for the same reason as someone gave above, i had a fantastic teacher in 5th and 6th year, but i was really let down by my teachers up to 4th year.
    I got about 10/11 one on one grinds an hour a week after the mocks.

Economics, i picked this subject up in september, my class was one hour a week, so after the mocks i did a week in the institute(easter) just to see it from another point of view. Helped me to no end, my teacher was fantastic during the year, but only having a total of 30hours of class wasn't enough, so it was good to be in a different class situation.

Of the grinds i got.
    Physics was improved the most (imo)
    French was very beneficial as i had been in danger of failing, and was then disappointed with not getting a B in the exam. (educated guess)
    Economics didn't really improve my economics, but it helped the stuff to "stick" in my head better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

I had to for maths,my teacher for junior cert didn't even finish the pass level side of the course..nevermind reach the honours part.So I was far,far behind going into 5th year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Although i did pass i basically taught myself maths for three years up until the junior cert as i was put in the "messers class".
    It paid off however;)
    However i am still sticking with pass as its easier to get adecent grade in then slaving or risking failure as my cousin found out she BARELY scraped LC hons and
    i remember when i was young i would find in in her room spending HOURS a that subject.
    (unless you rock at it;))
    Thankfully my teachers from then on were actually able to teach and not just
    dictate a book.
    Thing about maths with me is without understanding what is being thought, it doesent go down well with me whereas some of my friends admit they dont know what they are doing half the time and just "remember" the method of solving a certain question.
    The point is that teaching in some schools is an absolute joke with the security
    a public sector job brings to lazy teachers:)

Advertisement