Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MK Dons not getting any friendlies

• 21-06-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

QPR cancelled: "After several phonecalls and threats from our own supporters, I have decided not to go ahead with the game." [1]

Colchester cancelled: "Whilst we appreciate that this fixture would be just a football match which would help prepare both sides for the season ahead, we do feel that with Ipswich Town such a short distance down the road pulling out of their fixture with yourselves, it would be an unwise PR move for Colchester United to proceed with our fixture." [2]

Ipswich Town cancelled [3]

Nottingham Forest are having a petition against their game vs. MK Dons: "This petition has been set up by the fans of Nottingham Forest to show that we are strongly against the upcoming friendly against MK Dons going ahead, a match against a club formed after Wimbledon FC's fans had their club stolen from them." [4]

Histon FC cancelled: "Sometimes ethics and principles have to come before making money and I think this is such a case and the right decision has been made." [5]

[1] http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/p...~840270,00.html
    [2] http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/p...~839222,00.html
    [3] http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co...cle.asp?a=21151
    [4] http://www.petitiononline.com/nffcmk/petition.html
    [5] http://www.footballconference.co.uk...1286090,00.html

It's good to see a bit of a backlash against the worst type of Corperatism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

I went to the national hocky stadium to watch my beloved forest play against MK a couple of seasons ago.... and it was an OK night. I have no objection to playing a friendly against them at all.

I also think your above comment is slightly ironic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PHB wrote:

Do you have any idea what 'corperatism' even is? :rolleyes:

The corporations in football are what were once football clubs (with football as their main priority) that are now plcs (with making money for their shareholders-through football-as their main priority). Think Spurs (who were the world's first), Man Utd, Celtic, etc. Take a look at the London Stock Exchange listings in the business section of any real paper and you can see the rest.

So are you looking for a backlash against those clubs? Will you be doing your bit by boycotting the Premiership? Maybe you could cancel your Sky Sports subscription if you have one.

Or are you against MK Dons because of their relocation (which I'm against) although maybe they some evil 'corperatism' activites that you can share with us?

Strangely enough, no-one has a problem with Livingston in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    Maybe you should elaborate on why you believe that this is the "worst type of Corperatism" as you put it. This is not a troll, but I really do not believe that you understand what you are actually talking about. Maybe you should do a quick google on the word corperatism, and perhaps, re-phrase what you have said.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Strangely enough, no-one has a problem with Livingston in Scotland.
    .edit. Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im annoyed they took over my beloved hockey stadium :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

!!!Corporatism has lots of different meanings!!! I'll make sure next time I use the word democracy I'll be sure to footnote it so everybody is happy.

Technically speaking, i.e. some political scientist has decided, it is a process within a country, but in a modern prejorative sense, it refers to emphasizing the role of business corporations at the expense of the public, or more generally, a focus on business rather than people.

What happened with MK Dons, is the worst type of corporatism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

im annoyed they took over my beloved hockey stadium :(

are they still going ahead with their plans to build them a new footy stadium, or have they canned that now that they have dropped a couple of divisions?

or where you having fun at me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Give corporatism the boot, I say!
    I think it's a bit late in the day to talk about corporatism in the EPL, or Serie A for that matter. Football needs to get back to basics, and lose the fascination with money and celebrity .

PS: wouldn't it be great if, instead of lecturing other posters to google whatever-it-is to find out what it means, those who adopt this stance would just say what it means? Seems to me the term was used correctedly, but that its application was IMO mistakenly limited to MKD.

Advertisement