Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTEngland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dohboy wrote:
    Let me have my schadenfrude, will you?

I'm just a bit riled after watching them Black and Tans murder and pillage my Paddy brethern.

im still annoyed with irish colonists and criminals raping and pillaging australia and killing thousands of the indigenous peoples.

oh, im over it now.

im grown up.

back to football.

support who you want. me, im supporting england and oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D D'oh-boy shirley?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

mike65 wrote:
    :D D'oh-boy shirley?

Mike.

huh?

long ball to Zola with that one mate, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Y'know Homer Simpson, slaps his head as he realises his stupidity.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

Gotcha.

'Shirley' bit threw me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

dohboy wrote:
    huh?

long ball to Zola with that one mate, sorry.

Definitely d'oh-boy!

Missed the obvious "don't call me shirley"...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

The only people to talk more about '66 than the English are the Irish :p

I think if you follow an English team and watch English Football there's no reason why you shouldn’t support the England team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Trizo wrote:
    I think if you follow an English team and watch English Football there's no reason why you shouldn’t support the England team..
    Agreed, but then... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Come on Ecuador! As someone else said who wants their nearest neighbours to do well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

vorbis wrote:
    Come on Ecuador! As someone else said who wants their nearest neighbours to do well?

Exactly. I really am honestly confused by the fact that people support England because they are our Neighbours. Surely it should be that you want them to lose because they are our closest neighbours. What ever happened to football rivalry between two teams located beside each other.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Exactly. I really am honestly confused by the fact that people support England because they are our Neighbours. Surely it should be that you want them to lose because they are our closest neighbours. What ever happened to football rivalry between two teams located beside each other.
    As put by (alleged) Bohs fan Tom Humphries (extracted from a long piece): 'Our lives are suddenly infested by people who feel that it is wrong to cheer against England. It is not wrong. It is fun. Cheering against England has nothing to do with us not seeing the funny side of all the centuries of oppression. It is a joy unto itself.
    It is the joy of the Manchester City fan who sees United hammered. The Tranmere fan who hears of a disaster in Anfield or Goodison. The Rovers fan in his petty envy of the mighty Bohs. It is the fat man on the banana skin. It is football. http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/7649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Rte are absolutely comical.

The 3 pundits just said none of them wanted England to win. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rte are absolutely comical.

The 3 pundits just said none of them wanted England to win. :)

They are stating the obvious,they want to see a free flowing passing team win the World Cup not some long ball defensive bore like England.
    They have nothing against the English nation its just the team and the style of football they abhore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

johnos wrote:
    As put by (alleged) Bohs fan Tom Humphries (extracted from a long piece): 'Our lives are suddenly infested by people who feel that it is wrong to cheer against England. It is not wrong. It is fun. Cheering against England has nothing to do with us not seeing the funny side of all the centuries of oppression. It is a joy unto itself.
    It is the joy of the Manchester City fan who sees United hammered. The Tranmere fan who hears of a disaster in Anfield or Goodison. The Rovers fan in his petty envy of the mighty Bohs. It is the fat man on the banana skin. It is football. http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/7649

Very well said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Premiership is more itneresting and a million times better then eircom league.

If you even listen to the commentary and pundit talk they mostly slag england off telling how average they are.

And did i say premiership is better then EL? End of story more viewers more money =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If somenoe has Daire O'Brian on Prime Time could they put it up on the site.

He articulates a few good reasons.

If somenoe has Daire O'Brian on Prime Time could they put it up on the site.

He articulates a few good reasons.

I've linked it here. http://bohsnews.crispynews.com/article/show/6884

I commented on this a while back, but can't find the post as for some reason the system isn't allowing me. Anyway, you'll see that I don't entirely agree with his reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Is it!? Is it really!?

Typo aside, I'd give you any odds you wanna name on Chelsea winning the English league this year. Any of four, if not more sides could win the domestic league here this year.

Is that really more interesting?

As demonstrated just now v. Ecuador?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nope, as demostrated by the premiership itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Kingp35 wrote:
    Originally Posted by johnos

Sorry i messed up the quote here but ' a disaster in anfield or goodison'

great choice of words.

and yeah the EL is rubbish compared to the Prem and the Championship(of which my boys are in), but its cheap and cheerful. I like to go see it now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think the RTE coverage puts the ITV/BBC coverage to shame. At least they aren't afraid to slate teams and even, god forbid, disagree with each other.

Hansen - Yes Gary you are perfectly right and now I'll just repeat what you said
    Ian Wright - Blahhh Engerland!!! I mean Blah *some inaudible sound* Engerland

and yeah the EL is rubbish compared to the Prem and the Championship(of which my boys are in), but its cheap and cheerful. I like to go see it now and again.
    Well that's a lot better than taking a Taliban-like vow never to go to it, as some seem to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Posted this in another thread....

When I watch England play I generally don't care if they win or lose. I'm always just hoping for a good quality game of football. But all you generally get with the English football team is a fustrating bore-fest.

Giles was on the money last night when Bill asked him was he shocked that England were under performing. He said that he was more shocked that so many other people were shocked at their lack lustre performances asking when have England ever performed to their full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Stromecek

Just wanted to add, that I just couldn't bring myself to supporting the English, having just been immersed in a crowd of tevelling English supporters as recently as yesterday, is there another people in the world when congregated together create such a intimidating, posionous atmosphere, that verges on violence driven by ignorance and superiority fueled by beer?
    obviously I'm not labeling every last english football fan, but god they're unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im sick of dumphy and souness rubbishing england any chance they get. conversation goes something like this:

Bill: "can this england side go all the way"
    Dumphy: "rooney is a great player. the rest of the side is rubbish, they have no chance.
    Souness: "yeah i agree, (because im afraid to disagree with dumphy).

Bill: "here's sven now, lets see what he has to say".....

Dumphy and Souness: "ha ha ha ha, what a turnip, the guy couldnt pick 11 flowers in a forest, never mind 11 footballers, woeful manager..."

anyone else sick of this blatent anti-english talk? ok, so england are over-hyped, we all know that. but if this was italy or france scraping results they'd be saying this is what all great teams do - grind out results when they're not playing well.

smemon wrote:
    Bill: "can this england side go all the way"
    Dumphy: "rooney is a great player. the rest of the side is rubbish, they have no chance.
    Dunphy is there for entertainment purpose, no more, no less.

I'm sure he's said loads of times that Gerrard has single handedly dragged Liverpool to numerous victories, likewise Terry for Chelsea.

He's a goon that contradicts himself constantly. He will even contradict himself over the course of a match. Hell, he's even contradicted himself in the course of a sentence. "Niall Quinn is a creep", "Ah now c'mon Bill, there's no need for personal insults"

If you watch Dunphy for amusement well then you'll be fine, but as soon as you start to take waht he says too seriously you'll just get too annoyed and fustrated with his constant BS.

There's a word used a lot on the internet forums that we're a familiar that describes Dunphy to a tee. TROLL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    ..."

anyone else sick of this blatent anti-english talk? ok, so england are over-hyped, we all know that. but if this was italy or france scraping results they'd be saying this is what all great teams do - grind out results when they're not playing well.

To be fair they are giving the french a right good pasting aswell. If hes on tomorrow you can watch give viera a lot of stick.

ArthurF wrote:
    Very true Mike, and good to see a healthy respect for our neighbours, even if it only applies to a few pubs, its progress though:)

You should try working for my english boss Arthur..the b*l***ks i have to hear is unbelievable. How the great jack charlton brought a team of "no hopers" to the world cup and how they got shot of him after all he done for him. How all the english born players brought them out of obscurity. "Jack should have been made president". Sorry but thats a total load of w*nk and when they respect us ill bloody hell respect them and their hyped up propaganda.

And for the record some of these no - hopers - irish born i might add - played 1st team football for some of the top clubs in england during the 80s. Liverpool had several that won a european medals. Brady won 3 scudettos for juve. Giles, etc. i dont mean to go off on one but when you live in a village that is becoming populated by idiots and i can honestly say some of them try to walk over the irish.

1 idiot tried to ban a neighbour of mine from walking his dog on the road. another set his own speed limit outside his gate (to protect his dogs). i get alot of english customers and i get on with the majority of them. some are the most quietest level headed down to earth people you could meet.

But some of them are arseh*les.

Just saying it works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone else notice tham humming noise on RTE ?
    Its as if they have a giant fan in the studio.

• Advertisement

Anyone else notice tham humming noise on RTE ?
    Its as if they have a giant fan in the studio.
    Its the sound of Dunphy winding people up....

Advertisement