Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good reason NOT to buy Gold

• 21-06-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

World of Warcraft Accounts Closed - 6/9/06
    In keeping with Blizzard's aggressive stance against cheating in World
    of Warcraft, we banned over 30,000 accounts in the month of May, and
    with that removed well over 30 million gold from the economy across all
    realms. The banned accounts were taking part in activities that violate
    the game's Terms of Use, including using third-party programs to farm
    gold and items, which severely impacts the economy of a realm and the
    overall game enjoyment for all players.

We will continue to aggressively monitor all World of Warcraft realms
    in order to protect the service and its players from the harmful
    effects of cheating. Please note that selling World of Warcraft
    content, such as gold, items, and characters, can result in a permanent
    ban of the involved accounts from World of Warcraft.

Many account closures come as the direct result of tips reported to our
    GMs in game or emailed to our Hacks Team by legitimate World of
    Warcraft players. If you suspect that a World of Warcraft player is
    using an illegal third-party program to farm gold or items, or is
    otherwise violating our Terms of Use, please report the suspected
    infraction via one of the means listed above. All reports will be
    investigated, and those that prove false will not result in corrective
    action.

Thank you for your continued support, and good luck with your
    adventures in Azeroth!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

gg blizzard...

Grinding for cash is easy to do legally, i had 50g one friday evening, went grinding in Winterspring, got a BOE Epic sold for 600g and a few greater frost protection potions recipes which sell for 100g on my server. easy money!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Blizzard are one of the few games companies that are really tough on cheaters, hackers and gold buyers. they have banned hundreds of thousands of accounts, since back in the days of diablo and warcraft. i say fair ****s to them, for taking such a hard stance on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

First of all, I'm pretty sure this has already been posted and discussed. With that said, I'm too lazy to find it so, anyway...

What they dont say is whether that is gold sellers or gold buyers. My view, is that, based on the wording of the article, its just gold sellers. I mean, when you think about it:

30,000 Acounts * X = 30, 000, 000 Gold

30, 000, 000/ 30, 000 = X Gold Per account

X = 1,000 Gold per account.

Not alot, by any stretch of the imagination and certainly not when it comes to gold farmers. Taking into account that some accounts would have more than 1k gold and some less, its really not hard to imagine that being the case. Further evidence, is when they go on to say that

"Many account closures come as the direct result of tips reported to our GMs in game or emailed to our Hacks Team by legitimate World of Warcraft players."

and you are starting to see that its really ALL about the sellers. Which leads me to question, where is the good reason to NOT buy gold? :o

Personally, the reason for not buying gold for MMORPG's is incredibly simple. You are paying a company, to be allowed to play a game on their servers. Within this game you spend time to improve your character both through levels and equipment. This forms a status symbol, if you will, but more importantly it is something you have earned. In my mind, the enjoyment comes from the work you have put in. As the old saying goes, Nothing worth having, is easy. So, if someone just mails you 1k gold for the $40 or whatever, then what is the point? You are basically paying to earn something and then paying to avoid having to earn it. It is ultimately self-defeating and wont take long for you to just become bored of it.

Of course, other people have their own reasoning and logic for playing games like WoW and as such, they avail of this service. This fact is evident by the fact that such gold purchasing services exist.

So... in closing, your point is a little off the mark but still valid, in any case...
    Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

lazygit wrote:
    gg blizzard...

Grinding for cash is easy to do legally, i had 50g one friday evening, went grinding in Winterspring, got a BOE Epic sold for 600g and a few greater frost protection potions recipes which sell for 100g on my server. easy money!

Ye, but the reason you made an extra 700 gold from those 2 pretty lousy items is because of farming. It's so easy to buy money, that people can sell stuff for extortionate prices.

Advertisement