Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer comforts dying cat

Options
  • 21-06-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Saw this reported in the States while I was there last week

Sammy.bmp

Caption: A deer appears to comfort Sammy, who was critically ill with kidney failure.

BELLINGHAM, Wash. – Margie Scott was devastated when her 9-year-old cat Sammy was diagnosed with kidney failure, but she never could have predicted what would give her comfort during her pet’s last days.

Scott, who lives in an apartment just south of Lake Whatcom, had adopted the long-haired white and gray cat had when he was just six months old.

Last month, Sammy stopped eating his dry food and would sit in a corner for hours. Scott took him to the vet, who treated him for dehydration. But it wasn’t enough.

“He was better for awhile, but then he started going downhill,” she said. “He just had this haunted look in his eyes.”

Because Sammy was declawed, he was strictly an indoor cat. But he always wanted to go outside. So, in his dying days, Scott decided to let Sammy spend some time outside each day. Sammy enjoyed his time outside the apartment, which is surrounded by woods and wetlands.

A family of deer regularly visits the complex, and one day, Sammy happened to be sitting outside in the grass when two young deer happened by.

Scott watched in astonishment at what happened next.

“One walked up to Sammy and they touched noses,” she said. “The deer jumped back and made a sort of a snorting noise, like he was sneezing. It seemed like he was taken by surprise,” she said.

What she saw next was even more surprising.
    ”The deer started licking him all around the head and neck, and Sammy just sat there allowing the deer to do this,” said Scott.

For several minutes, the young deer licked the small cat. Scott grabbed her camera and got a picture of the tender scene.

“It was amazing,” she said. “I truly believe the deer was able to sense that there was something wrong with Sammy and that was why he started licking him, like he was trying to nurture him.”

Two days later, Sammy died.

Though Scott is still grieving the loss of her cherished pet, she takes comfort in the photo she has of Sammy and the deer.

“I have some amazing memories, including this one,” she said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Grrr...maybe if the cat wasn't eating meat-flavoured cereal its whole life, he never woulda went into kidney failure in the first place.

I hate to take the sweetness out of the article, but I truly wish veterinarians would spread more awareness about the dangers of feeding pets dry kibble. It makes me so sad. 9 years old for a kitty is only about half of what its lifespan should be. :( And the kitty was declawed, too. How sad. :(

At any rate, deer really are amazing creatures. It's refreshing to see that Sammy got some comfort during his last couple days on earth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Do you think de clawing is bad for a cat? I was going to get it done for mine 'cos she never goes outside, and doesn't use her claws when shes playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry about going Off Topic, but,
    I hate to take the sweetness out of the article, but I truly wish veterinarians would spread more awareness about the dangers of feeding pets dry kibble.
    How so? My dog gets fed some Ceasar stuff out of a tin, but also alot of dry food from a bag (seemingly, so that it can crunch something: the Ceasar stuff is soft). Would this be bad for the dog?

fabcat wrote:
    Do you think de clawing is bad for a cat? I was going to get it done for mine 'cos she never goes outside, and doesn't use her claws when shes playing.
    Declawing is a very painful and unnatural surgery, which would be similar to removing the first segments of all your fingers. Depending on where you go, the veterinarian may either use laser or scapel to complete the surgery, but the outcome is fairly similar. There is less bleeding with laser, and the healing time is shorter. But it is still very painful. Of course, most vets will offer prescriptions to completely dope up your kitty after the surgery, but it only dulls the pain, it doesn't take it away.

If the pain factor isn't enough to persuade you, you may stop to think about what her claws are there for; cats use their claws for scratching themselves, catching prey, climbing, and for defense. Your kitty may be an indoor kitty, but there is always a slight chance that she may escape one day, and if she has no claws, she may have no way to defend herself or catch food should the need arise.

If you are interested in getting her declawed because she is clawing your furniture, there are a number of ways to train her to stop, of which gentle discipline and redirection are just two examples. :)

the_syco wrote:
    Sorry about going Off Topic, but,

How so? My dog gets fed some Ceasar stuff out of a tin, but also alot of dry food from a bag (seemingly, so that it can crunch something: the Ceasar stuff is soft). Would this be bad for the dog?
    To maintain optimal health in an animal, we must think about how the animal's wild cousins maintain their health. These animals live their lives by three very basic principles: fresh food and water, daily exercise, and fresh air.

For most people (myself included), it can be very difficult to give our animals a life similar to their wild cousins. This means abandoning almost everything we were ever taught about our pets, and starting from scratch. It means we can no longer use the phrase, "It's just a dog..." or "It's just a cat..."; it means we have to truly understand the mild consequences we may face in adopting a creature. We're not only the animal's family and pack-mate, we're the animal's care-taker. And it's up to us to provide the best living conditions possible for our pet.

Dry kibble is not a natural food. It (along with canned animal food) is made with the diseased by-products of the meat industry, the leftovers that are not fit for human consumption. If this wasn't bad enough, many dry kibble brands also use unnatural fillers such as cardboard and wood shavings in their foods. These aren't just extreme cases, these are standard cases. An animal fed nothing but dry kibble will have a poor-quality level of health, and will more often than not have a significantly shorter lifespan than an animal fed a proper diet of fresh, handmade food.

If you are still interested, I suggest checking out the following websites:
    http://www.barfworld.com/
    http://www.barfers.com/
    http://rawfeddogs.net/
    http://www.rawfoodlife.com/barf_faq.html

And for the kitties in your family:
    http://catnutrition.org/

Good luck with your doggy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Dry kibble is not a natural food. It (along with canned animal food) is made with the diseased by-products of the meat industry, the leftovers that are not fit for human consumption. If this wasn't bad enough ...

Just as well then that it's not for human consumption.

Are you saying that animals ... sorry, pets, should only be fed meat that is suitable for human consumption, and only 'natural foods' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

fabcat wrote:

Why not just chop your own fingers off while your at it and see how you cope? Besides, no vet will perform that op over here, thankfully.

Just as well then that it's not for human consumption.

Are you saying that animals ... sorry, pets, should only be fed meat that is suitable for human consumption, and only 'natural foods' ??
    If you wouldn't eat it, why should your pet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Of course. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

To maintain optimal health in an animal, we must think about how the animal's wild cousins maintain their health. These animals live their lives by three very basic principles: fresh food and water, daily exercise, and fresh air.

For most people (myself included), it can be very difficult to give our animals a life similar to their wild cousins. This means abandoning almost everything we were ever taught about our pets, and starting from scratch. It means we can no longer use the phrase, "It's just a dog..." or "It's just a cat..."; it means we have to truly understand the mild consequences we may face in adopting a creature. We're not only the animal's family and pack-mate, we're the animal's care-taker. And it's up to us to provide the best living conditions possible for our pet.

Dry kibble is not a natural food. It (along with canned animal food) is made with the diseased by-products of the meat industry, the leftovers that are not fit for human consumption. If this wasn't bad enough, many dry kibble brands also use unnatural fillers such as cardboard and wood shavings in their foods. These aren't just extreme cases, these are standard cases. An animal fed nothing but dry kibble will have a poor-quality level of health, and will more often than not have a significantly shorter lifespan than an animal fed a proper diet of fresh, handmade food.

If you are still interested, I suggest checking out the following websites:
    http://www.barfworld.com/
    http://www.barfers.com/
    http://rawfeddogs.net/
    http://www.rawfoodlife.com/barf_faq.html

And for the kitties in your family:
    http://catnutrition.org/

Good luck with your doggy! :)
    Excellent links :)

• Advertisement

If you wouldn't eat it, why should your pet? :confused:

Because they are animals !!!! Animals are not human !!!! Why does this confuse you. You said it yourself. "not fit for human consumption". This implies that it is fit for animal consumption, otherwise you would have used the "not fit for animal consumption". You talk about how our pets wild cousins maintain their health. Fresh food and water, daily exercise and fresh air. Now I don't profess to be an expert, but whenever I see wild dogs on natural history programs, very few of them are eating fresh meat. Mostly, they are scavaging from carcasses discarded by larger animals who have finished feeding, often when the carcase has been dead for several days in high temperatures. These animals do not get sick, yet a human would. This meat is not suitable for human consumption, but is suitable for animal consumption.

Many pets eat food which is indigestable by humans. Maybe you should go on a long journey of discovery, searching for grass that is 'fit for human consumption' to feed to pet goats. Let's know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Because they are animals !!!! Animals are not human !!!! Why does this confuse you. You said it yourself. "not fit for human consumption". This implies that it is fit for animal consumption, otherwise you would have used the "not fit for animal consumption". You talk about how our pets wild cousins maintain their health. Fresh food and water, daily exercise and fresh air. Now I don't profess to be an expert, but whenever I see wild dogs on natural history programs, very few of them are eating fresh meat. Mostly, they are scavaging from carcasses discarded by larger animals who have finished feeding, often when the carcase has been dead for several days in high temperatures. These animals do not get sick, yet a human would. This meat is not suitable for human consumption, but is suitable for animal consumption.

Many pets eat food which is indigestable by humans. Maybe you should go on a long journey of discovery, searching for grass that is 'fit for human consumption' to feed to pet goats. Let's know how you get on.

You sir have no comrehension of the digestive tract of an animal. Feeding unnatural and alien substances to domestcated animals can and does have highly detrimental effects on an animals health.
    Wild animals kill their prey. To eat it. Fresh. Animals wh have adapted themselves to eating carrion meat have highly developed digestive and immune systems in order to allow them to maintain their health.

Dont take this the wronfg way this is not targetted at you personally I merely use you as an example of popular misconcpeations sir.

Also your tone could do with some lightening mate.
    Animals deserve to be cared for and not just to survive.

Slightly off topic here, but my cat catches and eats wild rabbits, sometimes he regurgitates raw meat. Any thoughts anyone? It looked to me like he was having trouble keeping it down. I'm open to suggestion tho.

Probababy just not used to the raw meat.
    Perfec example in fact.
    As long as it not affecting his overall health it shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Tallus, maybe he just ate too much ;). If he is reating rabbit, make sure you have him wormed regularly (sp?).

Sarah

Your comment actually made me laugh at loud at work, and now I'm getting funny looks from my co-workers! :D

Use your thinker and re-read what I wrote. Just because something is not fit for human consumption does not mean that it IS fit for animal consumption. Mmm...diseased, rotting meat. Let's feed it to our dogs and cats and let them maintain a sub-standard level of health because they're just not worth the money it takes to feed them real food.

Most wild dogs DO try and catch their own fresh meat. When this is not possible, they will eat whatever they can to survive. Dogs are best described as opportunistic omnivores. They will eat both meat and plant matter, and prefer all of it fresh. When they eat decaying organic matter, they DO INDEED get sick, and some of them die. But they do what they must in order to survive.

If you, sir, wish to spend thousands in vet bills when your animals reach the mid-point of their lives and can no longer be described as "healthy", then go on ahead and keep feeding your animals food that is not even worthy of that name. Or perhaps you are one of the "Ah sure it's just a dog"-thinking types of people. In that case, you'd probably just shoot the poor creature once it shows signs of poor health anyway.

As I am, myself, a vegetarian, and one that tries to eat organic as much as possible, I would indeed try to feed my goats grasses (*gasp* yes, there are grasses that humans can digest--imagine that!) and vegetable products that are fit for human consumption: organic, fresh, and pure food.

It truly isn't that difficult a concept to grasp. But for some, this way of open-minded thinking is beyond reach. And, unfortunately, I don't have much patience for blatant ignorance, so please excuse the semi-emotional rant. ;)

EGAR wrote:
    Tallus, maybe he just ate too much ;). If he is reating rabbit, make sure you have him wormed regularly (sp?).

Sarah
    I might just do that thanks :)

Semi-emotional rant excused.

I don't have pets, and although I like dogs and would like one, I know that I don't have the time or energy to commit to one, and so would not consider owning one. I don't normally visit this board, but the thread title caught my eye on the main page and I dropped in. On that note, fascinating story, and apologies to the OP for my part in hijacking the thread.

While I would I would not be of the "Ah sure it's just a dog"-thinking types of people, I would hold a very firm distinction between human and animal life, and find very annoying when people lavish attention on animals and ignore the plight of humans in their own cities and towns.

As I said, I'm not a pet person. I dropped in out of curiosity after seeing a thread title, but won't be staying. I'll leave you all to your discussions, and wish you many years of companionship and fun with your animal friends.

Semi-emotional rant excused.

I don't have pets, and although I like dogs and would like one, I know that I don't have the time or energy to commit to one, and so would not consider owning one. I don't normally visit this board, but the thread title caught my eye on the main page and I dropped in. On that note, fascinating story, and apologies to the OP for my part in hijacking the thread.

While I would I would not be of the "Ah sure it's just a dog"-thinking types of people, I would hold a very firm distinction between human and animal life, and find very annoying when people lavish attention on animals and ignore the plight of humans in their own cities and towns.

As I said, I'm not a pet person. I dropped in out of curiosity after seeing a thread title, but won't be staying. I'll leave you all to your discussions, and wish you many years of companionship and fun with your animal friends.
    You must also remember that the very people who lavish attention on animals usually care very much for the plight of humans, and not just in their own cities and towns, but throughout the world.

A caring human does not choose what to care about, she simply cares. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different." - Hippocrates- Greek physician (460?-377? B.C.)

"Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself." - James Anthony Froude-English historian (1818-1894)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated. ...I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." - Mahatma Gandhi - Hindu spiritual leader (1869-1948)

Imho, they deserve to be treated with the dignity & respect we would like others to treat us with.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

As long as humans think that animals don't feel, animals will feel that humans don't think.

Don't know who said it but that pretty much sums it up for me. Mind, I am NOT into anthropomorphism. An animal is not a human but it has to be treated with respect and understanding.

Sarah

EGAR wrote:
    As long as humans think that animals don't feel, animals will feel that humans don't think.

Don't know who said it but that pretty much sums it up for me. Mind, I am NOT into anthropomorphism. An animal is not a human but it has to be treated with respect and understanding.

Sarah

Here here.
    QFT.
    Treat animals with the respect u would want to be treated with if u were an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

My cat and cats I had before used to kill for fun, she would spend a while taunting her victim, if it was a bird the cat would damage the wing and let it go for a bit and than catch it again. Shes too lazy now. Personally and as a cat person there should be only be an x number of cats pers square kilometre.

Treat animals in their best interests.

Advertisement