Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ to apply for digital radio licence

• 21-06-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

RTÉ has confirmed it is to seek a Digital Audio Broadcasting licence for a digital radio station to serve the east coast.

According to a statement released by RTE today this follows a successful six-month trial of DAB digital radio. This technology produces a clearer sound quality for the listener.

After this is established RTÉ said it was committed to a national DAB roll-out.
    Sounds nice. Would DAB allow more stations to be made?
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

the_syco wrote:
    Sounds nice. Would DAB allow more stations to be made?
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
    I don't think so... from what I remember you can only fit so many stations on to a single multiplex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't think so... from what I remember you can only fit so many stations on to a single multiplex.
    Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_broadcasting#The_Difference_Between_DAB_and_FM

the_syco wrote:
    Ah... yes... so you can only fit 6 stations of a decent quality.

It wouldn't make much difference though... most modern pop music is so compressed that the majority of commercial style music stations won't sound all that different.

Lyric should sound great on DAB though.

I do know that Ireland was slow to move on getting DAB frequencies allocated to it, so Northern Ireland got in before us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah. :( I was hoping that it'd allow for a metal radio station to squeeze in, if somehow many stations became available.

Do any of the current crop of FM stations do any metal programming at all? I know my station does an hour and a half on Saturday evening...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe the Alice Cooper show on Today FM? Saturdays at 6pm.

I listened for about 10 minutes last week, though all I heard was G N' R and Motley Crue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Do any of the current crop of FM stations do any metal programming at all? I know my station does an hour and a half on Saturday evening...

not that i'm aware of, unless it's in the depths of night. and if there is one, it's probably not varied. i enjoyed the metal show on phantom (thursday nights i recall)... twas very varied.. so was the saturday show (the dogg house or something to that effect), which played metal, punk and anything in-between

Advertisement