Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line not suitable?

• 21-06-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

For the last couple of years, up until a few weeks ago, I was told that my line was unsuitable for broadband upon performing the online check on the eircom website (also UTV and BT sites).

Then when I tried the check again (on a number of broadband-provider sites) I was informed that the line was now suitable.

Now I'm being told once again the my line is unsuitable!!

Does this mean that I had a four week window in which to order broadband??
    I doubt it.

What's going on here and what should I do?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it rained, it was dry for a while and now its raining again.

wait for a dry spell and order .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GuyIncognito

Sponge Bob wrote:
    it rained, it was dry for a while and now its raining again.

wait for a dry spell and order .

I can see why you've got 3,561 posts. Maybe you shouldn't post unless you've got something worthwhile to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can see why you've got 3,561 posts. Maybe you shouldn't post unless you've got something worthwhile to say.

rain can cause problems with broadband signals ....

jhegarty wrote:
    rain can cause problems with broadband signals ....

I don't think that's what he meant but cheers.

rain can cause problems with phone lines . You passed during the only dry period this year. Jhegarty is absolutely correct and you do not understand rain and electricity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eircom test all enabled lines once a month but yours has always failed but this could be a very marginal fail. It passed one month (perhaps only barely) so it shows as a pass. Now it shows as fail again so the most recent test once again failed. It could well be the good weather that caused the pass and the poor weather that caused the fail again.

Apart from that, pick any random answer from the Big Bucket o' Answers and it could well be the reason for the fail/pass/fail you're getting. This is Eircom you're dealing with after all.
    Does this mean that I had a four week window in which to order broadband??
    It means exactly that. Your line is failing again so Eircom will now ignore any and all requests for broadband. I'm sure someone here recently said that they have Eircom broadband but their line fails the check anyway. They tried to change provider but couldn't as Eircom say the line is unsuitable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While he could have wrote it in a better way, both Sponge Bob and jhegarty are correct...weather conditions can affect line tests and lines in general

Cabaal wrote:
    While he could have wrote it in a better way, both Sponge Bob and jhegarty are correct...weather conditions can affect line tests and lines in general

I didn't think he meant it literally. I thought he was referring to the period of time in which broadband was available as "dry" and the other "rainy". Sorry about that Sponge Bob; I misunderstood.

However I still think this explanation quite unlikely as the weather wasn't particularly dry when I first got the message saying it was available.

Cheers

If its not the weather then is it a sky box or a new phone, did you replace anything and was the replacement for something like a phone or sky box that was banjaxed or unused around the time the test was sucessful or a banjaxed alarm even ?

In other words and put very very simply.

Have you plugged in any new device into any phone socket in your house recently and can you unplug it when your next test is due and leave it out for a while.

The next test is normally due 3 to 4 weeks after the last one where you failed again .

Advertisement