Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nobody will sell me a new Alfa Romeo

Options
  • 21-06-2006 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I got a notion to buy a new Alfa Romeo 147 JTD M. I went to Tractamotors and asked to testdrive one and I was told as the sales rep stared out the window yeah we'll call you when we get one. Called Airton motors and still waiting for a testdrive they even tried to interest me in a GT (I wish) nearly 1 week later no call. Now even Michael Barrable is giving me the cold shoulder. I also contacted www.internetcarcompany.ie I got a funny excuse that they don't sell new cars only nearly new and imports????? What's going on with this particular car why can't I get a salesman to take me seriously

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if they don't have any....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

mike65 wrote:
    Well if they don't have any....

Mike.

Well if they don't why can't they tell me? If they want my custom surely they would keep me posted?

I don't expect dealers to be that bothered tbh! They know someone else wil be through the door in the next few mins.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a brand new Alfa? Go for a demo or nearly new one.

Thats a different discussion.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Balls wrote:
    Why would anyone in their right mind buy a brand new Alfa? Go for a demo or nearly new one.

This argument could equally be applied to any new car. Some people just like having a brand new car.

mike65 wrote:
    I don't expect dealers to be that bothered tbh! They know someone else wil be through the door in the next few mins.

Mike.

Yeah I suppose that's what your up against. There are not that many dealers in Ireland I'm sure if I keep trying or possibly or wait till sometime next year for the new 149?

Anan1 wrote:
    This argument could equally be applied to any new car. Some people just like having a brand new car.

You don't need to point out the new car thing, I've had one every year since 2000. I completely get the whole new car desire that people have.

What I don't get is, when you know a new car is going to depreciate, why not make the drop as small as possible by choosing wisely.

I'd love a new GT coupe.. but I would never buy one.

Endplate, there must be a few more dealers you could try. What about O'Donoghues?

Big Balls wrote:
    You don't need to point out the new car thing, I've had one every year since 2000. I completely get the whole new car desire that people have.

What I don't get is, when you know a new car is going to depreciate, why not make the drop as small as possible by choosing wisely.

Because they want an Alfa and can afford the hit?

Anan, ANYONE who has money will tell you that throwing it away is foolish.

Now I KNOW you love to have pointless arguments but the thread is about finding a decent dealer.

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Anan, ANYONE who has money will tell you that throwing it away is foolish
    Big Balls wrote:
    You don't need to point out the new car thing, I've had one every year since 2000.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Have you tried contacting a non-franchised dealer

Have you tried contacting a non-franchised dealer

Only thing is, they won't have a car for test-drive. OP - to be honest, the worst thing about Alfas is the dealer network. You could try Ambrose Glass, but they're all monkies IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I was looking at a new Octavia earlier in the year. None of the salemen would hardly give me the time of day.

... and that was for a plain run of the mill car that was stockpiled in the forecourt.

So they will be damned before they will go to the trouble of getting you a rare car. Easier ways for them to make money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why don't you go over to the U.K. and bring one in? I haven't bought a new car in Ireland since 1988. I just bought my BMW X5 in from Holland in Feburary, saved thousands and got way better spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can imagine how helpful the dealer network would be doing warranty work on imports

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can imagine how helpful the dealer network would be doing warranty work on imports

They're obliged to honour the warranty, and they're being paid for the work by Alfa Romeo Ireland. I'd imagine that they would bring no more and no less than their customary level of ineptitude to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Well to be honest if you saving say 10 grand on a car I wouldn't be worried about fixing a problem myself . Even if you buy a car for 13 grand your still saving 3 or 4 grand anyway and I haven't had any major problems over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Flangemonger

Hi,
    I wouldn't take it personally, sir. The level of service from Alfa Romeo dealers is so bad, they're the stuff of legend! Have a look at JD Power, Top Gear and the various other customer satisfaction surveys on the internet for the details.

And it is an undeniable fact that Alfas do depreciate at a breathtaking rate. It's such a pity cos they're gorgeous. They're still suffering from a bad reliability reputation that they picked up in the 70s and that kills the resale price. I'd wait a couple of years until the worst of the depreciation is over before going for one (but then I'd do that with any car).

Best of luck with it. You might want to try a non-franchised dealer - I know a crowd at home (Monaghan) who can sell you a new Ford/ Nissan/ whatever for less money than the franchised dealers do! And it doesn't invalidate the warranty - by EU law the car company must respect the warranty regardless of whether the car was sold from a franchised dealer or not.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your willing to travel try giving Motorzone in Limerick a ring on 061 226300. Link: http://www.motorzone.ie

I was passing by them the other day and they had a good few new Alfas in their showroom including a few 147s. Not sure if any of them were diesel but you never know. I heard their aftersales service is not too bad either as Alfa dealers go anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring Motorzone in Limerick. Ask for Graham Culleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Motorzone aren't too bad, bought 2 cars off them. If the car can't be got, it can't be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have you considered going North? They may have one good Alfa dealer (which is apparently more than there is in the south).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

endplate wrote:
    I got a notion to buy a new Alfa Romeo 147 JTD M. I went to Tractamotors and asked to testdrive one and I was told as the sales rep stared out the window yeah we'll call you when we get one. Called Airton motors and still waiting for a testdrive they even tried to interest me in a GT (I wish) nearly 1 week later no call. Now even Michael Barrable is giving me the cold shoulder. I also contacted www.internetcarcompany.ie I got a funny excuse that they don't sell new cars only nearly new and imports????? What's going on with this particular car why can't I get a salesman to take me seriously

Try Alasta motors or contact Alfa Ireland and tell them your dilema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think Alasta are an Alfa dealers anymore, they only sell them used.
    I've had similar hassle with Alfa dealers. Went to several, include Airton, looking for a used 156 last year and all promised they'd get back to me.
    None did.
    Went to a Skoda dealer who couldn't be more helpful so I got an Octavia and felt like going back to each Alfa dealer and mushing their head into my windscreen to show them a sale they missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Endplate,

The diesel version of the 147 is a rather rare beast. I checked with Airton in Tallaght last year and they told me thay had NEVER sold a diesel one.
    However, I now own one, the 150bhp version, and it is a stunning car. It is the same engine as in the MJet GT, but the 147 is a lighter car.

redman wrote:
    Try Alasta motors or contact Alfa Ireland and tell them your dilema!

Redman am going to try that this morning will update with the outcome.

Thanks very much guys got some very useful information there. I heard about the dealership in Limerick been better than the rest before so it must be true.

I fully understand the depreciation thing but if you look in carzone.ie all the 147's are petrol and not one diesel. What I'm hoping is that the diesel will hold it's value better (probably wishful thinking).

I'm going to look into going north but I'm wondering will they take a trade of a southern car I'm sure they have enough of their own to sell don't really want the hassle of privately selling my car. What do ye think?

Prospect well done on getting one where did you purchase? Any chance of a test drive (joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

with the depreciation value of Alfas, I'd get a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

steve06 wrote:
    with the depreciation value of Alfas, I'd get a different car.

The 147 isn't actually that bad, (or as bad as other Alfas traditionally are)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

endplate wrote:
    Redman am going to try that this morning will update with the outcome.

Thanks very much guys got some very useful information there. I heard about the dealership in Limerick been better than the rest before so it must be true.

I fully understand the depreciation thing but if you look in carzone.ie all the 147's are petrol and not one diesel. What I'm hoping is that the diesel will hold it's value better (probably wishful thinking).

I'm going to look into going north but I'm wondering will they take a trade of a southern car I'm sure they have enough of their own to sell don't really want the hassle of privately selling my car. What do ye think?

Prospect well done on getting one where did you purchase? Any chance of a test drive (joking)

Send me a PM and I will send you the number of my mate who sell ALfa's in Navan

Advertisement