Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on dog

Options
  • 21-06-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

HI, I have a half collie / labador dog, he is about 11 years of age, I can't take the dog with me to the appartment, and the parents are getting on with age an can't really look after him anymore, he is still quite hyper(and a little over weight!) they're in there humour of not wanting him anymore they have tried a few farms down in the country but none were interested.. and I don't quite think anybody wants a dog of this age anymore. what would be the best way to go about with him? I am not too fond of getting him put down, or if they would even do that?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

HI, I have a half collie / labador dog, he is about 11 years of age, I can't take the dog with me to the appartment, and the parents are getting on with age an can't really look after him anymore, he is still quite hyper(and a little over weight!) they're in there humour of not wanting him anymore they have tried a few farms down in the country but none were interested.. and I don't quite think anybody wants a dog of this age anymore. what would be the best way to go about with him? I am not too fond of getting him put down, or if they would even do that?
    thanks
    I sincerely hope you wouldn't even consider putting him down when he still (from what you've said) has so much spirit. :(

As I'm not in Ireland right now, I can't recommend any good rescues, but I'm sure someone here will point you in the right direction. Good luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 grandmastaflash

but he is quite lazy all the same(sleeps a lot, what else do to)
    like the parents kind of want rid of him, but they don't want him put down. also got him groomed there two days ago, the ladie says he has diabetes because he drinks a lot and is peeing a lot, would i be best bringing him to the vet to get tablets? it doens't seem to be affecting him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Where in the country are you?

sorry i am in dublin 24

I am full up with 33 dogs but if you want, you can email me a pic and a description and I can post the dog for re-homing on my website and board if that is any help?

webmaster@egar.org

Sarah

• Advertisement

but he is quite lazy all the same(sleeps a lot, what else do to)
    like the parents kind of want rid of him, but they don't want him put down. also got him groomed there two days ago, the ladie says he has diabetes because he drinks a lot and is peeing a lot, would i be best bringing him to the vet to get tablets? it doens't seem to be affecting him
    If he is overweight, and urinating and drinking excessively, it may be in his best interest to be seen by a veterinarian. I'm not saying he has diabetes, but it is quite possible by the symptoms you're describing.

I must warn you, however, that treating diabetes is not as easy as simply giving the dog tablets.

EGAR wrote:
    I am full up with 33 dogs but if you want, you can email me a pic and a description and I can post the dog for re-homing on my website and board if that is any help?

webmaster@egar.org

Sarah
    Sarah,

I just visited your website, and I want to let you know how beautiful I think it is. I had to brush away the tears quite a few times while reading the different dogs' stories. I've always wanted to do rescue work, but settled as a veterinary technician and now can't even do that because the pay is not enough to support my family. I miss working with animals so much, and what you guys are doing really touched my heart. Keep up the fantastic work. :)

~Melissa~

Very nice site I have to comment on too Sarah, the dog would drink about 3 medium bowls of water a day, but he only tends to drink it when I refill it for him,

Thank you, Melissa. :) It's great to hear encouraging words every now and then ;)!

GMF: That IS alot of water. Please take him to the vet for a check up. But my offer stands, email me if you want to have him put up on the web.

Sarah

Advertisement