Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web service application

Options
  • 21-06-2006 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

what's the best way to create a Web Service application with php?

I have a project that I am working on, and web service is one the things I would like to have it available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What kind of web service?

You'll need to explain a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

i have a website that will display a bunch of products from many sellers.
    I need to give those sellers an oportunity to display the same products on theire website as well (only what they own) from the same database with probably the same look and feel as the original website.

Taking in consideration some of the clients can barely use computers, a single file method is probably what i am looking for.

Some sort of web service api.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

get php to export the items from a database and output them into an xml file. That way your users can have php files on their sites which grabs the items from the xml file and displays them as variables. Simple stuff really.

get php to export the items from a database and output them into an xml file. The your users can have php files on their sites which grabs the items from the xml file and displays them as variables. Simple stuff really.

So the xml file should be already created or they will be generated based on request from client.

It sounds good, but i need to handle a lot of requests based on the query string (ex. first we list all products with paging navigation 1 |2 |3 |...next, then view one products based on the query passed).

I could make a basic template with header, content and footer and pass it on to the client as a zip file.

Anymore ideeas?

Yeah, as louie said, it should be simple enough with XML. RSS feeds tend to work in the same way.

The client requests www.yoursite.com/feed.php?var1=a&var2=b&page=3
    etc and the php page spits back the XML at them.

For the less savvy of your clients, you write a page that accepts the variables, with one variable being the client id, and then you output the slightly customised page, based on that id.

This may also be one of those rare occasions when a frameset or iframe will be of use to you.

• Advertisement

I am trying to stay away from frameset (grrrrr) and also from iFrame as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, as louie said......

you spelt my name wrong :)

lol :)

Advertisement