Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka t3 tactical

Options
  • 21-06-2006 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Im looking to buy a tikka t3 tactical 223 rifle.
    I would appreciate any good and bad points on this model. Is there any noticable differences between it and the heavy barreled varmint version, also if a take down stock is available.

Many thanks..lads:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I was looking into this model, was given €1000 as a price in Ardee sports. Couple of differences between it and the varmint

muzzle brake
    picatinny rail
    tactical sling swivels
    adj cheek piece

Have no experience with it, looked like a nice rifle, was a tad out of my price range, and decided .223 was a bit ambitious for my first rifle!!!

whats that sayin
    "buy your scope, spend the change on the rifle"

If that helps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

slugster wrote:
    Im looking to buy a tikka t3 tactical 223 rifle.
    I would appreciate any good and bad points on this model. Is there any noticable differences between it and the heavy barreled varmint version, also if a take down stock is available.

Many thanks..lads:)

Any particular reason(s) you're going for a Tikka?

http://www.tikka.fi/

I'm not a rifle owner yet so I won't comment much. Handled a Tactical, very nice rifle, lovely Tikka action smooth as butter and then some. Both rifles are going to feel muzzle heavy, they did to me anyway but it's to be expected. Ordered a Varmint stainless for myself, on looks I must admit. Plus I don't like muzzle breaks. The fact the Tactical comes factory threaded is a big advantage IMO if you want to add a supressor at a future date. 1 in 8 twist rate may pose some questions, but it applies to all new T3's in .223. The new Super Varmint has a lot of the features the Tactical has. From memory the only difference in those two is the Tactical comes factory threaded.

John

newby.204 wrote:
    I was looking into this model, was given €1000 as a price in Ardee sports. Couple of differences between it and the varmint

Was that 1000 euro for a NEW Tactical Newby? Or new Varmint?

Got a price of 1015 for new Varmint in Galway.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

johngalway wrote:
    Was that 1000 euro for a NEW Tactical Newby? Or new Varmint?

Got a price of 1015 for new Varmint in Galway.

John

It was for the tactical, thats what i was enquiring about, however the guy on the phone seemed unsure, but he did settle, in the end, that it was approx €1000 for a new tactical in .223.

I have heard of those guys making a few mistakes so its entirely possible he gave me the wrong price for the wrong rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

I am lucky enough that 2 of my friends have these rifles , 1 has the 26inch and the other has the 20 inch version . these are truly superb rifles and i have nothing but praise for them . if you intend to shoot mainly on a range and push it out beyond 600 yards the 26inch is the way to go . if you want to hunt with it as well go for the 20 inch one as its much better balanced and more practical . I will post pics of these rifles shortly . I have a tikka 695 master sporter myself in 6.5 and i swear by the tikka . there is not one factory .223 that will touch the t3 tactical it . Go buy one , you cant go wrong

zed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

newby.204 wrote:
    It was for the tactical, thats what i was enquiring about, however the guy on the phone seemed unsure, but he did settle, in the end, that it was approx €1000 for a new tactical in .223.

I have heard of those guys making a few mistakes so its entirely possible he gave me the wrong price for the wrong rifle.

Bull barrel versions are available from Tom kelly Shooting Supplies .:D

Very friendly and helpfull chappy I should add him to the gunshop thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I'm the proud owner of a .223 Tikka T3 Tactical. It's the 20" inch version, got the optional muzzle break, harris bi-pod, optilock mounts (€€€), SU-suppressor

The rifle is mainly used for lamping but I do spend plenty of time on the range.
    I'm using Remington 55g BT rounds set to 150yrds. Always fires a 1inch group on the range (even after getting the odd thump in the back for the jeep).

My lamping buddy has the .223 varmint with a heavy barrel, it's also a fantastic gun, he is having issues with accuracy at the moment which we reckon is down to the 45g rounds he is using (1 in 8 twist and all that). I have never put anything less than 55g in my gun. Still have to bring the varmint to the range and see would the heavier rounds group better.

I'll be ringing Ardee Sports today.. i'd be :eek: if a tactical is €1000, closer to the €1400 I'd be thinking. If you are going for the tactical shop around. For the basic gun I was quoted from 4 different shops between €1400 - €1650

Terrier wrote:
    I'll be ringing Ardee Sports today.. i'd be :eek: if a tactical is €1000, closer to the €1400 I'd be thinking. If you are going for the tactical shop around. For the basic gun I was quoted from 4 different shops between €1400 - €1650

My Dealer rang today, He has sorted out the rifle €1400 for the entire Kit and caboodle.:D

Happy Days.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I paid 1400 for my T3 Tac on its own, whats included in the entire Kit and caboodle?

Rew wrote:
    I paid 1400 for my T3 Tac on its own, whats included in the entire Kit and caboodle?

Bipod, mags, sling, case, muzzle break, Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Zenith scope and Pamela Anderson to carry it around for me....

Just jooking about the scope.

Pamela Anderson is far easier to get your hands on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

waiting a few weeks now for mine,i pray every nite,when when!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Terrier: I just bought the Sako optilock rings and bases from the UK.
    Took 2 days to arrive and I saved 75 Euros (that's incl. shipping!) on what I was quoted locally :rolleyes:
    www.gun.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

thelurcher wrote:
    Terrier: I just bought the Sako optilock rings and bases from the UK.
    Took 2 days to arrive and I saved 75 Euros (that's incl. shipping!) on what I was quoted locally :rolleyes:
    www.gun.co.uk

I got mine in the UK also, handy as i was working in the UK up to a few months ago, still expensive for mounts though, but after seeing my rifle take a few knocks and still hold it grouping they are probably worth it!!

Just make sure you got the correct ones to match the rail on the tactical, it has a wider base than the standard T3 and unless you remove the rail, trust me you dont want to do that, they wont fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ok i am waiting on the license for my .223 tikka varmint, what scope mounts do i have to get. Can someone describe them in detail cos there seems to be a lot of confusion about them

Vegeta wrote:
    ok i am waiting on the license for my .223 tikka varmint, what scope mounts do i have to get. Can someone describe them in detail cos there seems to be a lot of confusion about them

I'll be applying for mine on monday, although bringing it up with the garda in question didn't get my hopes up! I'd like to know more about the mounts too :)

John

johngalway wrote:
    I'll be applying for mine on monday, although bringing it up with the garda in question didn't get my hopes up! I'd like to know more about the mounts too :)

John

I found this on the web:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.223remington.html

I would only use this info to rebuttlal any negative responses from your Fao. Theres no need to give any more info than necessary so theres nothing for them to pick on.

223 Remington History and General Information.
    The 223 Remington was introduced to the public as a commercial cartridge by Remington in January 1964, one month later in February 1964 this same cartridge was officially standardized by the U.S. military as the 5.56mm ball cartridge M193.

The 223 Remington is one of the top varmint and predator rounds in the United States. With so many variations of rifle action types, surplus ammo, range brass, bulk bullets it's fair to say the 223 remington will remain at the top of the sales charts for a long time. There is one point I would like to stress here, is, the fact military ball ammo is loaded to different pressure levels to work in military rifles with different chamber and throat dimensions than the commercial 223 remington versions. Ball Ammo can cause higher pressures in commercial sporting rifles.

The 223 remington is a light recoiling cartridge, easy to reload and fun to shoot, just remember to use only commercial 223 remington ammunition not 5.56 ball ammo, if using ball ammo make sure your firearm has been altered to military specifications.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Tikka Varmint needs standard Tikka mounts. The confusion is wih the tactical which needs picatinny mounts but Ardee have been telling peopel it takes standard tikka mounts. it does but only if you remove the picatinny rail which is quite dificult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

just to ressurect an old thread, I put a deposit down on a T3 Tactical yesterday, cannot wait!

I went for the 20" barrel, just waiting on the cert now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

ya wont regret it lad
    ive the tactical version ,great gun and very accurate

Hi Enda, what length barrel did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

its 24 inch version
    top heavy ,but its very manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There is a nice T3 tactical in .223 with the longer barrel for sale in Hilltop, it has only fired about 100 rounds:)

Rosahane wrote: »
    There is a nice T3 tactical in .223 with the longer barrel for sale in Hilltop, it has only fired about 100 rounds:)

Cheers lad, gonna go new though, hopefully the license wont take too long, should have some decent glass and mounts for it by the end of Jan:D

Advertisement