Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Boat

Options
  • 21-06-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible to get a house boat and live in the grand canal dock or somewhere like that?

how would i find out about it all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You wouldn't get a permanent mooring permit for a start.

Houseboats are about 150k minimum, and you can't get a mortgage or loan for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yeah i was wondering about the perm mooring alright.

Just watching a property show on the tv at the moment and it sprung to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

When those [strike]lovely[/strike] corporate sales people sat beside us great unwashed in IT, I vaguely remember someone wanting to buy a houseboat on finance. They do marine leases, but I think there was some issue alright about the financing on a houseboat. If you can handle the BS Ruggie I could always asked one of them to ring/stalk you :D

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

not exactly a sound investment though, is it.

while a house will increase in value, a house boat will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I saw a houseboat (small one mind you!) for sale down by Hazelhatch near Celbridge recently and it was 22.5k ...have no idea what the story is with mooring them though as dont think your meant to leave them in the one spot all the time!

Apparently there's plans to turn Hazelhatch into a proper sort of marina in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The Irish Waterways people will not allow permanent moorings. The ESB/Bord Gas, water boards are prohibited from hooking up a supply to a house boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

stp wrote:
    not exactly a sound investment though, is it.

while a house will increase in value, a house boat will not.

while i agree with the sentiment.... houses do not always increase in value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Much easier to do this in the UK afaik. My mum sold her house last year and bought a narrow boat and now lives at a marina in Bedford. I haven't seen anything like that in Dublin. Pity though, it's a great life style - low overheads and you can bring your house on holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kolodny wrote:
    and you can bring your house on holiday :)
    Thats the bit the banks don't like.

Advertisement