Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI free student banking?

Options
  • 21-06-2006 7:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have an account with Bank of Ireland and receive free student banking because i'm a student. The thing is i'm not a student anymore (i dropped out). But they obviously still list me as one.

Does anyone know how long this will continue? When will they check up on me? or does it stop after a certain age?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

At the risk of a flaming, I'd say nothing

I have an AIB staff account and still insist on free banking and other perks when I'm in a branch. I even use my AIB staff card when required.
    I realise AIB recently introduced free banking so what I'm doing is no big deal.

I stopped working for them 4 months ago and they still haven't changed my account. So you have even less of a chance of losing your free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have an account with Bank of Ireland and receive free student banking because i'm a student. The thing is i'm not a student anymore (i dropped out). But they obviously still list me as one.

Does anyone know how long this will continue? When will they check up on me? or does it stop after a certain age?

Erm, BOI have "free" banking for "everyone", whether you are a student or not.

See here. It's a bit like the AIB one with a zillion T&C's attached to it.

Ulster Bank and PTSB advertise "proper" "free" banking. At least they don't have as many T&C's that limit it.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smilydude

They don't seem to check up on your status, I wouldn't say anything!

Personally, about 2 years ago, being a student, I had a phase of excessive ebay purchasing involving many trips to the bank for bank drafts.

They never informed me of the discounts on offer to students, i.e. Free banking, so being young, foot-loose and fancy free I never thought to ask.

Bottom line is that they'll charge you for everything unless you say, "hey, I'm a student, don't I get a discount?" EVEN though 3rd level account is staring them in the face on your card!!

Bit off topic, I'm slightly biased (as you'll see from the above!) but I say keep the good times coming as long as you can get away with it!;)

Advertisement