Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting up into the air with a .22wmr

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I wasnt sure so i asked im still not convinced that its not safe but i cant find enough proof to satisfy myself that its 100% safe so i wouldnt be attempting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

im still not convinced that its not safe
    Ok.. I accept that with difficulty .
    However there are many things in life that we have to accept as the truth without personal experience of the proof.

I have never seen anyone fall to their death because their chute didn't open, but I believe it without needing to try it for myself . This belief is based on ..the reports of others, logic, and a reasonable understanding of how gravity works.

Neither have I seen anyone killed or injured by a falling bullet , but I have no grounds for doubting that it could and has happened. Therefore I will act in a safe manner and never take that risk.

So I would urge you , convinced or not to accept it as an article of faith and never to try it .. That way , your life and the lives of those near you may continue without mishap.

If you can't refrain from this practice without being personally convinced,
    then I beg you to give up shooting and engage in a pastime which dosen't involve projectiles travelling at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

certainly wouldn't reccomend firing rifles into the air no matter who says it is ok....as for shotguns have often been showered with falling pellets...it's just like rainfall not at all dangerous...once got a blast of BB's @ 90yds+/- just bounced off me luckily enough...thats the danger of shooting foxes the fecker crosses between the two of ye as you are about to take the shot...

but on that... what is classed as a good backstop from a being out shooting point of view...ie. what sort of a clay ditch
    or is shooting from say a 2metre high pillar at a fox in the flat field safe or shooting prone across a field at rabbits etc.
    from a logical point of view
    Thanks
    Pat

Maybe i didnt make my post very clear i stated that im not convinced that its not safe i still think that it will lose most of its energy and come to a terminal velocity which will cause little damage to anything. I also can see where everyone else is coming from ive studied applied maths in school and projectiles and can appreciate this a little more that you think i do. I cant find enough evidence or proof either way to support this so as ive said i wont be attempting this. I love shooting and think myself to be a pretty good and safe shooter and wont be giving it up anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

May I suggest using a higher calibre rifle to shoot into the air with? That way you are 100% guaranteed to kill the crow... :rolleyes:

Anyway you can get .22 bullets for shooting pigeons and the like in large sheds, maybe that is the way to go.

• Advertisement

thats shellshot and its not use thanks anyway though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anyway you can get .22 bullets for shooting pigeons and the like in large sheds, maybe that is the way to go.
    .22 CB cap, which is a .22 case with primer and no propellant and a small lead pellet. And I don't think that's what psitta was talking about, and it's still as dangerous as the .22 hunting air rifles which are not something you'd want to be shot with either.

Basicly, don't do it. Even if you hit the crow, the bullet may well go right through and keep on going. The basic rule is, don't shoot unless you know where the bullet will stop.

Advertisement