Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Speed Test

• 21-06-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Has anyone else got this problem with Irish Speed test. I reg. and got mu password etc. Everytime I try to check my speed the Speed test shuts down and PC reverts back to Home page.
    Tried it last night and again today with same result.
    Any other way of checking if my speed is 1 MB or 2 Mbs. BT are charging me for 2Mbs but I suspect strongly I have not got anything like it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Check your Java settings and make sure it's not disabled and that you have the most recent version installed. They also have a forum there if you want to post your problem.
    To check what speed you're connected at you need to log in to your modem. If you're using the modem that BT supplied, open internet explorer and type http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit return.
    You will then be asked for a username and password. Enter admin for user and 1234 for password.
    I can't remember off-hand where in there to find the sync speed but click on the various links in the menu and you should find it. Don't change any setting though.
    If you're connected at 1mb you will see "Downstream - 1024" or "2048" for 2 mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

speedbird1 wrote:
    Has anyone else got this problem with Irish Speed test. I reg. and got mu password etc. Everytime I try to check my speed the Speed test shuts down and PC reverts back to Home page.
    Any other way of checking if my speed is 1 MB or 2 Mbs. BT are charging me for 2Mbs but I suspect strongly I have not got anything like it.
    Thanks
    The speed test relies on Java - it sounds like you're Java Runtime might be having a problem.

A more realistic speedtest is to ope 3 or 4 browser windows pointed to heanet. Download a few large files from there simultaneously. The combined download speed of 3 or 4 downloads should be between 200-250KB/s on a 2Mb/s line.

(It doesn't matter what you download - you can just delete it when you're done if you don't actually want it).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

speedbird1 wrote:
    Thanks

What speed is your modem/router syncing at?

Try www.u.tv/speedtest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Thanks for help with sped test. I am on 1 mB on checking with all sources.
    BT will be getting a call, I just wanted ti be sure of my facts before calling tech. support.

Thanks again

Advertisement