Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo Classic

Options
  • 27-11-2004 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting an old VW Polo Classic, to pimp - not boy racer pimp, just put nice big wheels on it, lower it, perfect the interior and in time, a classic spray job. They were made from 1983 up to 1990, so i'd say the max i'd pay for one is €500.

There are two on one road near me - an 87 and a 90. Any tactics to persuade someone to sell an old car?

Do they use any VW Golf parts by any chance? Any of ye know of any for sale? Where could I get parts for an old car like that?- I haven't been talking to the local dealers yet.

I've been searching about, cant find a bean on a modded Polo classic.

They're all only 1043cc - got a quote there from 123.ie for €1700 TPFT (18, full licence).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I guess from the lack of replies, you aren't going to find a lot of Mk1 Polo modifiers on Boards. I would support anyones desire to mod odd motors, but I have to admit I suspect you of trolling - are you really serious?!! A quick look on the B&S lists several suitable cars and I bet your local paper has listings for cheap cars too. Going to the back of the VW dealers can sometimes yield results too. You should be able to get a spotless example for €500 - get second hand Golf wheels and tyres (don't go bigger than 15"s if you want it to go in a straight line) for €200 also from Buy and Sell (double check the offsets but I'm sure they are the same).

A sprayjob will cost upwards of €600 if you prep it yourself, or buy everything and do it yourself for €250.

Lowering it will cost €300 for a full kit or €130 for just springs. ICE, interior and other bits add €400.

You are now up around TWO GRAND for a p1sspoor, untuneable POLO! Silk purse/pigs ballbag methinks.

They don't share much with the Golf - (door lock-pins, light switches), etc and aren't very tuneable.

Next topic:
    Write a short polite note saying "I would like to know if you are considering selling your car, please call me on 087-blahblah" and leave it under the wiper. I guarantee results - I do it all the time.

Your first car should be something that you can trust to start when you turn the key and that you don't have to pretend isn't yours when your mates see you in it. Only buy a Mk1 Polo if you work in a cake shop.

And there are lots of mod'ded Mk1 Polos - Germany is full of them. They did a GTi version with alloys, they also did a coupe, but they weren't popular here due to being more expensive than everything else at the time.

If you must buy something old, buy two of them and keep one for parts and buy a Haynes manual, a good socket set and two pairs of vice-grips.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Get a G40. Or better yet just buy a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf. Why would you buy anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

are you seriously interested in one of these cars or what's the story??

I have a vw derby sittin out in my dads and it needs a new home!

it's a 1980 and would be the right car for you I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

smokey2 wrote:
    I have a vw derby.....!
    You have my deepest sympathies smoky2 - you could start by pouring lots of salt on it which is known to kill most slugs and should eventually destroy the Derby too.

VW Derby - I'd rather be dragged behind a Land Rover.....

He he.

'c

Advertisement