Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber Costs

• 21-06-2006 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Have about 2 days work for a plumber.

Connect a oil boiler with possibly 2 valves and exchange a 30L emersion tank to a 42L one. 2 new connections into the attice tank.
    I will be supplying everything.
    The system will not be filled or fully live yet so no balancing etc needs to be done now.
    I see 2 days work here for a full-time plumber.

what sort of ball park figure can I expect.

Am I looking at e600 or more for the two days.

thx folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

you have to get one to show up first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

you have to get one to show up first.

lol,

Always think people are cheeky doing that ,buying everything and telling a professional what to do with it.:)

Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

so the person hiring the plumber should just let them buy all the gear and make a margin (good trade account will get 40% discount on retail prices) on it while also charging time to actually go and buy it, just because its cheeky? :rolleyes:

The key to getting a decent price on jobs like this is to make it a clean, snappy job for your tradesman. If you ask a tiler to remove old tiles, or make the plumber go off and buy the gear it means his time between getting in and out to the next job is longer therefore hes gonna charge you more for what he will perceive as lost income from the next job. Buying the materials yourself also gives you more transparency on what you are actually being charged for labour - having worked alongside a builder I know the 'sweetest' jobs for the tradesman are the ones where he can charge massive labour rates but hide this buy showing the customer retail prices for the materials he has purchased, though he paid for less for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

i have just setup a website that allows you to request a quote from a number of different tradesmen, initially it is just in the cork area but it is growing and hopefully it will be of use to you. the link is in my signature or i just noticed that you can turn signatures off so the link is www.tradeseeker.ie

How can someone price a job ,without actually looking at it ??

If I go into a house to look at a job ,I have to check the walls ,insulation and dimensions before I can calculate the heat requirements .????

I hope it works out for you

Brian.

• Advertisement

so the person hiring the plumber should just let them buy all the gear and make a margin (good trade account will get 40% discount on retail prices) on it while also charging time to actually go and buy it, just because its cheeky? :rolleyes:

The key to getting a decent price on jobs like this is to make it a clean, snappy job for your tradesman. If you ask a tiler to remove old tiles, or make the plumber go off and buy the gear it means his time between getting in and out to the next job is longer therefore hes gonna charge you more for what he will perceive as lost income from the next job. Buying the materials yourself also gives you more transparency on what you are actually being charged for labour - having worked alongside a builder I know the 'sweetest' jobs for the tradesman are the ones where he can charge massive labour rates but hide this buy showing the customer retail prices for the materials he has purchased, though he paid for less for it.

I've often done work for people who have there own stuff bought ,sometimes it's easier for me that way.One guy bought a gas fire that cost 2,500 euro ,so I was quite pleased not to be buying it.

Sometimes however ,you can get people asking how much jobs should cost ,so they can go and charge someone that amount.

No one can dis me ,I am always getting 50 euro tips when I finish jobs and I always go out of my way for people so the end result is neat.

Also ,I admire people who give things a bash themselves ,I can't stand people who say they are no use with their hands ,as if you chopped them off they wouldn't mind :rolleyes:

Take care
    Brian.

_Brian_ wrote:
    How can someone price a job ,without actually looking at it ??

If I go into a house to look at a job ,I have to check the walls ,insulation and dimensions before I can calculate the heat requirements .????

I hope it works out for you

Brian.

Hey Brian,

Maybe in the situation it isnt an ideal system but there are plenty scenario's where it would save you having to ring around for quotes. This is really just a hobby for me and i set it up because of the headache when trying to get stuff for my first home sorted and had to ring around for quotes (eg house alarm). I'll just leave it out there and hopefully it can save some others some money in this rip off culture as the difference between some quotes can be shocking.

Regards
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Tony, I hope your one is better than the last one that was being bandied about here. I wont name it but I put two requests in and never even got the courtesy of a reply. Waste of time.

Tony255 wrote:
    i have just setup a website that allows you to request a quote from a number of different tradesmen, initially it is just in the cork area but it is growing and hopefully it will be of use to you. the link is in my signature or i just noticed that you can turn signatures off so the link is www.tradeseeker.ie
    tony... his looking for a plumber,

cant see any plumbers on your site.

but great idea, and good luck with it.

Tony ,I wish you all the best with the idea ,
    I think anyone who shows any sort of courtesy at all ,gets on in what they're doing .
    You're dead right about the price thing ,sometimes we get work because we are the cheapest ,sometimes it's because the people know us .But most importantly I feel more comfortable doing a job when the customer knows they are not being ripped off

All the best.

Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 9"solids

the reason I will be getting everything myself is my cousin works in the local plumbing suppliers and will give me excellent discount and a few freebees.

Thats the only reason.

So lads, how about a basic costs please.:D

Give or take a hundred euro. ball park.

thx

9"solids wrote:

Connect a oil boiler with possibly 2 valves and exchange a 30L emersion tank to a 42L one. 2 new connections into the attice tank.
    The system will not be filled or fully live yet so no balancing etc needs to be done now.

thx folks.

connect the boiler (presuming its positioned and bolted down and the only work is connect the pipework and all pipe work is in the vicinity of the boiler)€100(two hours work)
    change out emersion €200 (four hours work)
    two new connections in attic tank (stoped and valved after connection)
    €50( one hour)

PS I'm not a plumber, but i do all my own work. the typical standers of plumbing in this country is very bad (as in systems not quality) so i changed my whole system to a pressured water system with an ACV (http://www.acv-uk.com/tanks.htm) tank and two heating zones around the house controlled by a Honeywell domestic controller system. (http://www.cm-zone.com/application.php?language=en)
    nothing to it, easy as.

if i was you i would do it your self.

Any natural gas appliances need a certificate to installation.
    Anyone messing with gas appliances not registered by Bord Gais is liable.

It cost's us thousands of euro each year to keep things running ,so we are insured to work on Gas ,anyone messing with gas without insurance is a gangster plain and simple.

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 9"solids

oil connections only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

Plumber normally gets the stuff makes a few bob on it and so do you as he gets at a trade price , you will do well to get one but expect tp pay up tp a grand or more
    9"solids wrote:

thx folks.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Any natural gas appliances need a certificate to installation.
    Anyone messing with gas appliances not registered by Bord Gais is liable.

It cost's us thousands of euro each year to keep things running ,so we are insured to work on Gas ,anyone messing with gas without insurance is a gangster plain and simple.

Brian.

ya
    oil brian.... oil.

your a gas man brian

ya
    oil brian.... oil.

your a gas man brian

You did not know that ,until Solids replied to my remark.

Brian.

9"solids wrote:

thx folks.

brian, brian, brian.... this is the first post.

it just as well your insured.

Sorry ,I misread that ,don't be telling people that the majority of stuff thats installed is not up to scratch.

I've gone into houses where diy jobs where done on gas boilers and you would not believe the things I've seen.
    I think it should be made clear in every reply ,when you make reference to doing all the work yourself ,otherwise you have some innocent person installing something unsafely.

Don't forget there's a lot of people who can't afford to fork out loads of money and they'll take any advice they can get.

Safety first .

Heres an example of a job I've done in a two bed ex council house.
    Solid fuel /Gas dual system.
    Installed solid fuel back boiler ,pumped seperate hot water ,gravity feed hot water ,cyclinder downstairs with a gas boiler in kitchen downstairs.
    All copper pipework and 1" pipe on gravity to cylinder.
    6 radiators.
    This was all in a two bedroom house .

You find me someone who will do a job like that and have everything working
    Including a gravity fed cylinder on the same floor as the back boiler.

Brian.

• Advertisement

_Brian_ wrote:
    Sorry ,I misread that ,don't be telling people that the majority of stuff thats installed is not up to scratch.

I've gone into houses where diy jobs where done on gas boilers and you would not believe the things I've seen.
    I think it should be made clear in every reply ,when you make reference to doing all the work yourself ,otherwise you have some innocent person installing something unsafely.

Don't forget there's a lot of people who can't afford to fork out loads of money and they'll take any advice they can get.

Safety first .
    when talking about DIY i always assume that the person is competent (true this is not always the case)
    I totally agree safety first.

now as for not up to scrach, i never said this.
    note in my post (as in systems not quality)

the building regs (plumbing section) is years behind. plumbers put in what the regulations require (when not dealing with a home owner... new developments) obviously a plumber will put in what ever system the home owner wants.

my point is that the regulations are years behind. gravity feed went out with the dinosaurs. heat zoning should be mandatory, mixing valves after the immersion(spell???) tank should be mandatory, water conversation systems should be mandatory.
    that was my point about systems and not quality
    sorry for the confusion.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Heres an example of a job I've done in a two bed ex council house.
    Solid fuel /Gas dual system.
    Installed solid fuel back boiler ,pumped seperate hot water ,gravity feed hot water ,cyclinder downstairs with a gas boiler in kitchen downstairs.
    All copper pipework and 1" pipe on gravity to cylinder.
    6 radiators.
    This was all in a two bedroom house .

You find me someone who will do a job like that and have everything working
    Including a gravity fed cylinder on the same floor as the back boiler.

Brian.

brian as long as you water supply (Attic tank) is above all your user points ( hot water taps) this should be no problem...
    but as i said earlier gravity feed went out with the dinosaurs.

but this is straying way off the topic...

will ya give the guy a quote, that a real test of how good ya are.

First of all ,sorry solids for dragging this out in your thread.
    I'm not usually so stuborn ,so apologies.

Gravity might have been out years ,but its the cheapest way of getting water to circulate ,no pump required.

Basically the customer can have hot water if there is a Gas/electricity/oil strike.

As far as I know the regulations will be changing here ,in germany they don't use storage tanks at all ,as far as i know ,everything is direct.
    I'd rather that system myself ,one pump coming into the house and feeding everything ,with no tank needed.
    But I don't think we have the pressure to allow everyone do this ,maybe the upgrading they are doing ,like the waterworks along the M50 will allow this.

Excuse the edginess in this thread.

Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As far as I know the regulations will be changing here ,in germany they don't use storage tanks at all ,as far as i know ,everything is direct.
    I'd rather that system myself ,one pump coming into the house and feeding everything ,with no tank needed.
    But I don't think we have the pressure to allow everyone do this ,maybe the upgrading they are doing ,like the waterworks along the M50 will allow this.
    Right. In Holland, and probably most other European countries too. Water pressure there is more than adequate without resorting to pumps, and a simple non-return valve at the water meter solves any potential problems with back flow (is that what it's called?). Also high efficiency condensing combi-boilers are the order of the day, and have been for some years.

I tell you, it felt like walking back into the dark ages as far as plumbing / heating was concerned when I moved here from Holland 5 years ago.

The tank in the attic ,why two connections to it ,is it to be installed also.
    What fittings have you ordered ,are they cappilary or compression.
    What pipe have you ordered ??

I installed a firebird unit a couple of weeks back ,all in one unit ,came with it's own housing .
    They are a lovely unit and very quite.

What way are you fixed ,is it ready for installation ,where is the boiler going ??

Can't price things individually as some of the stuff can be done as I'm there ,so it wouldn't be as expensive.

Try painting a picture of what type of house ,where the boiler is ,where the tank is going .

tony... his looking for a plumber,

cant see any plumbers on your site.

but great idea, and good luck with it.

guys dont want to blab on about my site but initially i only have members in cork if you know of anyone who wants to be added then please forward my link, all the help would be much appreciated.

Tony255 wrote:
    guys dont want to blab on about my site but initially i only have members in cork if you know of anyone who wants to be added then please forward my link, all the help would be much appreciated.

I would like to ,but we never advertise at all ,we just stick an add in the golden pages so customers know our number.

If i feel i can help here I will give tips etc.

If someone feels they are being ripped off ,just ask .
    The gas company use us to do call outs that their own lads can't do , i.e find leaks and repair boilers.
    We are on the Gas Board as well ,listed with installers.
    80 percent of the work we do is for friends of people we know etc.

Brian.

_Brian_ wrote:
    I would like to ,but we never advertise at all ,we just stick an add in the golden pages so customers know our number.

If i feel i can help here I will give tips etc.

If someone feels they are being ripped off ,just ask .
    The gas company use us to do call outs that their own lads can't do , i.e find leaks and repair boilers.
    We are on the Gas Board as well ,listed with installers.
    80 percent of the work we do is for friends of people we know etc.

Brian.

Thanks Brian.

P.S if you want a banner or anything displayed then forward it on it'll be no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

When quoting on domestic plumbing jobs, treat the customer as a lay person who does not want technical mmming and arring. Just quote a fixed price for a oil boiler installation or bath installation, taking into account any wild variations and the jobs you lose on will be gained by the jobs you gain on when you estimate an overall figure to make a reasonable amount over the cost of say boiler jobs over the year.

Either way domestic plumbing and the sort of customers you meet that want small jobs doing are often a pain and I have done a few years in ireland and do other niche plumbing work now, so when I get a call for someone desperate for a plumber, I nip round look at the job and say you'll be lucky to get a plumber to do that and wish them well as I leave, giving the advice that if they do get a plumber, to treat them mightily and fix them up with a big dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mark_18tp

how much do you expect to pay a plumber in the south for a days work??

Advertisement