Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kadman and Rooferpete

• 21-06-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hey guys are ye still out there? What is the story! We need ye back on here! I'm suggesting to start a campaign to get ye back on here!

They give so much to this form with their expertise! There's not many around here if any that no so much about there respective trades as these guys do! They are sorely missed be me! There posts are a wealth of information!

I VOTE FOR YE TO COME BACK AND FOR YER POSTS NOT TO BE CENSORED

Do you want kadman and rooferpete back 87 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 87 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Lads please come back onto this fourm! I miss ye and I know a lot more around here do as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Half the homeowners on boards will have had their houses fall down within a year without those lads around.

Come back, lads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If I was in their shoes I wouldnt come back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,281 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mad m wrote:
    If I was in their shoes I wouldnt come back..
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Hi I'd also like them experts back.
    Why were they banned?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Just to put the record straight, and in fairness to the mods. I was not banned.

It was a personal choice , relative to recent decisions made on the forum .
    One of my light hearted posts , relative to a closed thread of Rooferpetes, being sent to the recycle bin being one of the reasons. Draconian.

kadman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kadman wrote:
    Just to put the record straight, and in fairness to the mods. I was not banned.

It was a personal choice , relative to recent decisions made on the forum .
    One of my light hearted posts , relative to a closed thread of Rooferpetes, being sent to the recycle bin being one of the reasons. Draconian.

kadman
    All true, nobody has been banned, and users who do not post are doing so by personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I'd love to know who voted that they didn't want them back. Although things may have got heated on the eastern bloc workers debate (although I doubt this was the reason for their disappearance), I've found both Kadman and Rooferpete a great help both on this forum, and in off thread discussions. I think this forum as deteriorated lately, whether its due to the time of year or not, I don't know, but the absence of our resident experts is not going to help any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You're sadly missed guys.
    C'mon back - y'hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

As a lurker here, I've always found Pete's posts to be very useful. Any moderator who has banned him, really needs to stand back and realise that it is the contribution of people like Pete with his obvious wealth of knowledge that makes Boards somewhere worth coming to.

Even if Pete ain't banned, mods shouldn't have even threatened such action.

Rules schmules.......come back pete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

I must agree with everyone else, come back lads we do miss the
    very informative posts cmon lads you don't want our houses to fall down

i'll even send ye a pint of plain :D

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

All was perfectly well in this forum for God knows how long. Then we get a post asking what direction people want the forum to go in, though I saw no evidence of anyone asking for change. We then get a new moderator in the forum and now the two main posters have been suitably upset to feel they shouldn’t invest so much of their valuable time and energy if they are going to be treated so harshly by the moderator.

Delly – I can’t ever remember seeing any posts on here by you before you became a mod (though I may be wrong) – how aware are you of the absolutely massive amount of assistance that rooferPete and Kadman have given to hundreds of posters on this board? They should be shown due respect because of this and, personally, I would afford them some leeway. I read all the supposed offending posts you moderated and while I feel you had a point and I think you treated both harshly and overreacted, and I feel an apology from you to both rooferPete and Kadman is in order for the greater good of all those who use this board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All was perfectly well in this forum for God knows how long. Then we get a post asking what direction people want the forum to go in, though I saw no evidence of anyone asking for change. We then get a new moderator in the forum and now the two main posters have been suitably upset to feel they shouldn’t invest so much of their valuable time and energy if they are going to be treated so harshly by the moderator.

Delly – I can’t ever remember seeing any posts on here by you before you became a mod (though I may be wrong) – how aware are you of the absolutely massive amount of assistance that rooferPete and Kadman have given to hundreds of posters on this board? They should be shown due respect because of this and, personally, I would afford them some leeway. I read all the supposed offending posts you moderated and while I feel you had a point and I think you treated both harshly and overreacted, and I feel an apology from you to both rooferPete and Kadman is in order for the greater good of all those who use this board.

I second what Frank has said. I have been a reader/poster on here for the last 1.5 years on a daily basis and have never seen the need for a mod. Everyone has been exceptionally behaved, polite and informative. There have been a few but even those have been few and far between.

Delly I know you have to do your job but I don;t think you grasp the contribution that these guys have made to this forum answering on their own time some of the most basic questions to them but important to us lay people. Since you are relatively new to the DIY section and I also had to say to "who" when you were appointed, I understand your situation and appreciate the work done on stickys etc you have done, but to treat these 2 like you have is way out of bounds.
    I know the board supposidly needs to be modded and it is a thankless job, but some appreciation has to be shown to the people who let us bounce ideas/questions off them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm well aware of both posters contributions to the forum and feel its better for it.

For the record, no user has been banned. One thread was closed for more than one reason, one of which was a comment to another poster to ‘Foxtrot Oscar’ i.e. telling the other poster to F-off. Abuse is not allowed on any forum, and I fail to see why it should be allowed just because somebody is a regular poster.

Another thread was closed because said poster made allegations of ‘Conspiracy to defraud and theft’, again such an allegation can’t be allowed by any user. I fail to see how you can justify such posts, unless you feel that the forum should be a free for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote:
    I second what Frank has said. I have been a reader/poster on here for the last 1.5 years on a daily basis and have never seen the need for a mod. Everyone has been exceptionally behaved, polite and informative. There have been a few but even those have been few and far between.

Delly I know you have to do your job but I don;t think you grasp the contribution that these guys have made to this forum answering on their own time some of the most basic questions to them but important to us lay people. Since you are relatively new to the DIY section and I also had to say to "who" when you were appointed, I understand your situation and appreciate the work done on stickys etc you have done, but to treat these 2 like you have is way out of bounds.
    I know the board supposidly needs to be modded and it is a thankless job, but some appreciation has to be shown to the people who let us bounce ideas/questions off them.

Hear Hear. We need skilled people like Kadman and Rooferpete on this forum., not Mods. This forum is only functional with these guys on board. Can we vote for Mods for groups or are they decided from above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I vote for them to come back too. Everyone here gets upset and has opposing views to others at some time. Its all healthy debate and no harm at all. Very contructive in fact.

I think maybe there has been a little over enthuastic modding :)

RooferPete and Kadman have always been valued contributers here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

A resounding YES.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lex Luthor wrote:
    A resounding YES.....

HEAR HEAR
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Yes to all of the above. They have been a fantastic, selfless resource, and have certainly put my mind (not to mention my wallet) at rest on several occassions. Agreed also that it is only with the advent of active 'moderation' that we have now seen things develop to such a sorry stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

TBH I didn't know who the mods were for this forum as they never seemed to be needed which is very unusual on boards but the two threads the lads got overly involved in needed cold water pouring on them. We need both kadman and rooferpete back here now asap even if it requires we send round a few cold cans of Bulmers (or other prefered cooling tipple) to sooth ruffled feathers. Imho, this forum will fall apart without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I voted yes, I have in the past disagreed with statements that both have made and have discussed the issues in a heated manner, however I feel that the direction that this board has taken recently is a retrograde one, with the absence of qualified professionals information given is scanty at best.
    The way that this forum has been moderated has been poor , a little more tact and PM'ing may have been in order.
    If the forum withers and dies then you will all know where the responsibility lies....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Why not make Kadman&Pete mods of this forum,god knows they have given countless expert advice on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

CJhaughey wrote:
    ... with the absence of qualified professionals information given is scanty at best...
    ...If the forum withers and dies then you will all know where the responsibility lies....

I have no opinion either way, however, as the two people in question are "professionals" giving their time to answer questions on a Public Message Board, surely it is their right not to bother to post any more if they so choose.

The opinions given by "professionals" on any internet site should not be taken as "Gospel" truth so any reliance on people on a BB should be questioned.

If on the other hand, they were employed by Boards.ie or a subsidiary therof, and they chose not to post any more because they didnt like something someone said on a Public Board then that is another matter.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I always found Rooferpete's advice excellent and he has been missed. Come back Rooferpete:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Hey Pete, I'm going up to Enniskillen tomorrow to sail against, and party with, Peter K, the pellet man :D
    Let me pass on your greetings to him - Speak some words of wisdom :)

Basically - SPEAK TO US :mad:

Jim. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

LADS PLEASE COME BACK TO US! This fourm will fall apart without ye! Ye are our bread and butter over here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,281 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This has to be one of the top forums on the boards and what makes it so is the fact that there are people who want help and advice about everyday practical problems around the home and there are people who are prepared to help and offer advice on issues in which they have a bit of expertise. A very sound recipy for a successful forum or at least it should be.

I have not got the full story behind all this but it appears that RooferPete and Kadman have decided not to post here again with both having their own reasons for making that choice and it seems that it has a fair bit to do with modding issues.

In that regard there is a charter that must be adhered to and if either stepped out of line then the mods had multiple choices - edit the posts, delete the posts, ban the offending parties etc. Nobody here is entitled to preferential treatment just because they have a wide and varying knowledge of construction related matters and contribute on a regular basis.

If they were unhappy with modding decisions they should have posted up a thread to that effect in the feedback forum (from personal experience I think that would have been a waste of time although there is a first time for everything) or contacted one of the admins about this issue.

Personally I would hope that both will reconsider their positions and continue to post but if they have their reasons for not doing so then we should respect that.

They are both adults and they make their own decisions but any talk of the forum collapsing without them is utter nonsense. The forum was here and going well before they became active and I'm sure it will remain so. Having said that I think their contributions have been greatly appreciated in the past and would be again if they choose to return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

mad m wrote:
    Why not make Kadman&Pete mods of this forum,god knows they have given countless expert advice on here.

Thats a fantastic idea Mad M!

YES YES YES!!!! I'd love them to come back! I'm all for moderation in moderation, but the lads have been posting here for so long now that people(including myself!) actually come on here to ask for their advice alone on some matters!(appologies to other poster lol)

Here's hoping the foundations haven't been dug too deep with the heels of their boots!

Deb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

TBH - I have only posted a few times in this forum, but I have always found the posts by roofPete and Kadman to be extremely informative.

The last few times I was here I noticed that things seemed to be a little different - a lot of shifting posts around unnecessarily and abrupt answers when people asked what was going on. New mod, whoever you are, relax a bit!! There was no need to unsettle what was perfectly alright. Even if you did resurface your garden!!!

roofPete and Kadman - please come back - whatever happened - the rest of us appreciate your worth here.

Besides, you could at least have waited until Friday - with Davina!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

delly wrote:
    One thread was closed for more than one reason, one of which was a comment to another poster to ‘Foxtrot Oscar’ i.e. telling the other poster to F-off. Abuse is not allowed on any forum,

Another thread was closed because said poster made allegations of ‘Conspiracy to defraud and theft’, again such an allegation can’t be allowed by any user.

Listen, you really sound like the school nerd who has been left in charge of the class when teacher is out.

Tell it like it is - he said "F-Off" not "Foxtrot Oscar"......... SO WHAT? Honestly do you speak like this in real life? Abuse? Its just an expression, get a life prude.

I don't ever remember any of your posts carrying anything like the level of detail of Petes - a particular favourite was the explanation of plastering a reveal whereby it was finished by moving the edge of the trowel to create a ridge to stop moisture.....:)

I suppose I've attacked your rights now by standing up for Pete?:rolleyes:

So Pete, hang about, I don't think the DIY section would be much without you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement