Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kadman and Rooferpete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Elfish wrote:
    Tell it like it is - he said "F-Off" not "Foxtrot Oscar".........

No, actually Pete was very polite and all he said was ‘Foxtrot Oscar’ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

As has been indicated above by many... moderation should be done with moderation. The fact that so many people have posted back to this topic, telling you to ease off, should be sounding alarms bells in your little mind. You could easily kill off this forum.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-370.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Note to all: As per my previous post - Bring back the "Gardening/DIY 2"!

Note to Mods: Yis are quick enough getting other threads moved. Surely this should be in Feedback & not muddying the waters for newbies to this forum? Dirty laundry/washing/public/etc...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hill Billy wrote:
    Note to Mods: Yis are quick enough getting other threads moved. Surely this should be in Feedback & not muddying the waters for newbies to this forum? Dirty laundry/washing/public/etc...
    Oh, so you want the mod to mod now? I had thought about moving it to feedback, but galwaydude18 might feel that i'm 'censoring' his view by shifting it off to another forum and I would not like to offend said poster.

In fairness if it is put in feedback its not going to make much sense over there as a thread titled 'Kadman and Rooferpete'. The OP stated 'Hey guys are ye still out there? What is the story!' and they aren't going to be checking out feedback so it is left here for the intended people to see it (which they have btw).

Feel free to start another thread over in feedback though, as I can't surpress anybody's posts in that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

In fairness to delly, he is the mod of the forum. He has to do his job as he sees fit. Kadman and Rooferpete have decided to ignore the forum for their own reasons. They are grown ups (I presume) and can make their own decisions. They are both still members of boards and as such can be contacted by PM. It would be sad to see (or not see) people seeking advice outside of the public forum but if anyone need special advice I'm sure the two guys would be as helpfull as always through PM's. Pity to see the forum reduced to this but the guys made the decision to leave, not delly.

Any chance you could stickey this thread until the come back delly:)

• Advertisement

delly wrote:
    Oh, so you want the mod to mod now?
    Merely a suggestion your Dellyness. ;)
    delly wrote:
    I had thought about moving it to feedback, but galwaydude18 might feel that i'm 'censoring' his view by shifting it off to another forum and I would not like to offend said poster.

In fairness if it is put in feedback its not going to make much sense over there as a thread titled 'Kadman and Rooferpete'. The OP stated 'Hey guys are ye still out there? What is the story!' and they aren't going to be checking out feedback so it is left here for the intended people to see it (which they have btw).
    That's fair enough. I bow to your wisdom O Sagacious One! ;);)
    delly wrote:
    Feel free to start another thread over in feedback though, as I can't surpress anybody's posts in that section.
    Fcek it - I can't be ar$ed. This has gone on long enough. The lads will come back when they are good & ready. Maybe... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,281 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hill Billy wrote:
    Merely a suggestion your Dellyness. ;)

That's fair enough. I bow to your wisdom O Sagacious One! ;);)

Fcek it - I can't be ar$ed. This has gone on long enough. The lads will come back when they are good & ready. Maybe... :(
    I dont think your sarcastic comments are helping the situation at all.

There is a strong plea being sent to the 2 guys to return but the ball is in their court. If they choose to ignore the wishes of the majority here then so be it.

muffler wrote:
    I dont think your sarcastic comments are helping the situation at all.

Muffler:

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was indicating my acceptance of Delly's point of view in not moving the thread to Feedback. I respect Delly as a mod.

I also stand by not being ar$ed in starting a new thread on Feedback. If they come back - great, the forum will be the better for it. If not - It is not the end of the world & starting another thread won't achieve anything.

Delly:

Apologies for any offence. There was none intended. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

This all reminds me of Saipan a little bit. Maybe rooferpete and Kadman are going to do an RTE special to explain to the nation while they felt they had to leave, and to say that they want to come back but the ball is not in their court. Then everything will get left too long, and it'll become harder to reverse their decision. Eventually Boards will approach them, and they'll make a big comeback, but because they've been out of action for so long, they just won't be as good as they used to be. Does anyone know if Pete has a dodgy hip?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Carb wrote:
    This all reminds me of Saipan a little bit. Maybe rooferpete and Kadman are going to do an RTE special to explain to the nation while they felt they had to leave, and to say that they want to come back but the ball is not in their court. Then everything will get left too long, and it'll become harder to reverse their decision. Eventually Boards will approach them, and they'll make a big comeback, but because they've been out of action for so long, they just won't be as good as they used to be. Does anyone know if Pete has a dodgy hip?:)

:D Post of the month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

fail to prepare, Prepare to fail :D

The DIY section just wont be the same without them. Please reconsider lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I was surprised to say the least when I received an email telling me a poll was being run.

I wish to thank all of you who have taken the time to post and vote (whichever way you voted), it appears my style of posting has led to a clash with delly who has taken on a thankless job of moderator.

I didn't know until recently that this forum didn't have a moderator, testiment to general good manners and good humour that has been to the forefront of all who posted here.

Naturally there will be clashes of personality, maybe a hint of a hidden agenda, even the debate about different ways to tackle a particular problem when there are so many different people posting mainly to offer help or advice to one and other.

delly is correct I was not banned, in fact no ban was threatened, sadly the locking of two threads one of which was a way to continue the first thread without inferred profanity is in my view blocking the freedom of speech and expression.

I could try to say I was referring to Oscar a character in the Odd Couple a comedy programme most will not remember, and the Foxtrot is a dance, of course delly is spot on it was my of delivering a direct message.

I do not believe it any less repectful to use F### O## in fact in my way of thinking there are nice ways and not so nice ways of conveying a message.

I am sorry that I can't give delly the apology that a moderator could in fairness claim he deserves, simply because I am not sorry for using the term in the context it I used it and I certainly do not agree with locking a post before allowing the right of reply.

Like every other person who posts in a public forum I believe in good manners, delly was trying to enforce "Good Manners" and for that I think it wrong to penalise the moderator.

As one post has stated (not a direct quote) both Kadman and I are grown men who will make up our own minds and are free to post or not on any subject provided we do so within the rules.

I believe that up to recently we have posted within the bounds of decency, anytime I re-read a post after submitting it and noticed what may cause offence I would clarify the post and make sure an apology was included if I thought it was needed.

There is another side,

I have learned a lot from everyone who posts on this forum, some times about different products, others about different ways of approaching projects and even had old knowledged refreshed (Thanks James M).

Thank you one and all.

The weather is good so I will be cheeky and advise that you enjoy the weather while looking after the gardens and doing those outside jobs we all put off because it's raining ;)

Kind Regards,

Peter.

Jaysus Pete - That put a stop to all those posts.

Good to hear from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

If anybody reads my posts they will know the high regard that I hold RooKad in, so I'll not repeat the praise already lavished upon the "dynamic Duo". I've always enjoyed the banter especially between the pair of them.In other words I;ve lways liked their sounds...but I don't like the sound of
    "The weather is good so I will be cheeky and advise that you enjoy the weather while looking after the gardens and doing those outside jobs we all put off because it's raining

Kind Regards,

Peter."

Peter is standing up for a point of principal, and that has to be supported as much as the man himself, but much I hate it 'cause it's us that'll be at the loss and suffer.
    Just in case(and I hope not) we don't cross swords again here, many thanks for help and advise in past and sincerly the very best wishes.
    The one good think about this thread is that you guys(mentioning the Kad again, in case he gets huffy,lol) is that you now know thatb you are / were appreciated
    Best wishes
    tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

rooferPete has been sitebanned.

He threatened legal action against boards. If any harm came to boards from this guy then there wouldn't be a forum for you all to take advice from him, and others. So it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it?

Its a shame really but if he threatens legal action then he doesn't really care about this place's existance so it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Gordon wrote:
    rooferPete has been sitebanned.

He threatened legal action against boards. If any harm came to boards from this guy then there wouldn't be a forum for you all to take advice from him, and others. So it's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it?

Its a shame really but if he threatens legal action then he doesn't really care about this place's existance so it seems.

That's not good. What sort of legal action was threatened?

There is something amiss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

This seems very odd and out of character!

and I see that my post which was going against the mod got moved as well!!

Interesting - time to move along I guess as I'm sure many will - if anyone knows if RooferPete or Kadman are posting elsewhere - please post it!

Thanks

Pitstop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

What a childish situation.

Rooferpete should have been offered the job of Mod on this forum before the blow-in arrived and basically ruined it due to some form of egotistic low self-esteem.

I won't be back.

F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Fredser wrote:

Rooferpete should have been offered the job of Mod on this forum before the blow-in arrived and basically ruined it due to some form of egotistic low self-esteem.

I won't be back.

F

Be careful where the toys land when you throw them from the pram.

Get over it.

While rooferPete and kadman were very helpful and informative, they have made their decisions, and now, Pete is banned. Whether kadman comes back or not is up to him. I believe this forum will just continue as before as I think there are a lot of people out there who can help with any matter. Delly didn't get to be the mod because he was liked. He has a good knowledge of DIY matters as well.

Life goes on.

Fredser wrote:
    ...........due to some form of egotistic low self-esteem.

I won't be back.

F

Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i didnt realise the DIY and gardening lot were such melodramatic drama queens.

honestly, grow some balls.

lets get a few things straight here.

roofer pete and kadman did not own this forum. they did not have the run of this forum.
    they contributed to it.

the only reason why things were left as the were, was becuase i didnt take the time to look over it.

for people to decide that they dont want to post ehere anymore becuase of the closure of some posts is stupid. and its childish. i think some people simply got far too big for their boots, threw their little toys out of their prams, and 'foxtrot oscar'd'.
    try reading the rest of the site sometime guys, this isnt the freedom of speech state. if the moderator decides that something si not good for the forum, then they are well within their rights to do so.

you may disagree, and hey, the moderator may even make a mistake. but to hang up your trowl, threaten legal action and then leave is petty, childish, and quite frankly, is someone who needs to get out into some social activity sooner rather than later.

so, instead of all putting out a lynch mob, baying for blood, why dont people actually try putting a little thought into what they want.
    everyone screaming out for rooferpete and kadman, you sound like sycophantic babies tbh. its Do It Yourself, not DIY through rooferpete.

christ on a bike.

Fredser wrote:

I won't be back.

F

good. dont come back. more immature behaviour gone from the forum.

..............everyone screaming out for rooferpete and kadman, you sound like sycophantic babies tbh. its Do It Yourself, not DIY through rooferpete.

christ on a bike.
    Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

While I don't often post here, I'm a regular reader. I'm very sorry to see Kadman and Rooferpete leave the site. They both gave very generously of their expertise.

This forum was doing fine without a moderator. It appeared to be self-regulated. Yes, there may have been the odd flare-up now and again but it was nothing serious. We're big boys and girls and it was only handbag stuff which blew over fairly fast.

The expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," comes to mind.

Ever since the moderator was put in place a couple of weeks ago, the situation deteriorated rapidly.

It's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

muffler wrote:
    Spot on

Not spot on. All DIY folk have to start somewhere and are not products of the great DIY university where they learn all that is to be learnt and come opun us as pure gunius.

DIY relies on knowledgeable people.

However........

Chocolate wrote:
    Ever since the moderator was put in place a couple of weeks ago, the situation deteriorated rapidly.

It's a shame.
    Thats it. Thats the answer. Thats what went wrong. Nobody else at fault only that grumpy self opionated bollix of a moderater.

Get a life chocolate and use part of it to read the posts that led to this situation and look back a few posts here and see where rooferpete's best intentions lay.

Heinrich wrote:
    Not spot on. All DIY folk have to start somewhere and are not products of the great DIY university where they learn all that is to be learnt and come opun us as pure gunius.

DIY relies on knowledgeable people.

However........
    Im going to stand by that statement. The 2 gents in question were without doubt a great help to other members of this forum and the forum will not be the same with the imposed and self-imposed bans.

However they were not the only tradesmen posting here and will not be the last.

Like the boards in general this forum will continue to grow and in a way its not a bad thing to have a problem like this sorted out clearly and concisely as it sets down a marker for anyone else who harbours ideas of being indispensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

muffler wrote:
    Thats it. Thats the answer. Thats what went wrong. Nobody else at fault only that grumpy self opionated bollix of a moderater.

Get a life chocolate and use part of it to read the posts that led to this situation and look back a few posts here and see where rooferpete's best intentions lay.

Extract from Gardening/ DIY forum charter:

Please refrain from posting personal abuse, bad language, advertising, spam or anything else that may warrant a ban.

Muffler, just because you don't like Delly doesn't mean you can disobey forum rules. You're banned.:D

Also, I already mentioned that I read posts on this forum regularly (every day, in fact) so I'm well aware of the circumstances surrounding this situation.

look, im going to draw a line under this at this stage.

i understand why people are upset.

i accept also that both of the posters that have left contributed a lot to this forum. and for all of that, i thank them.

the fact of the matter is that both posters left out of their own decisions becuase of the closure of a couple of posts. there were some things exchanged in those posts that werent liked, and suddenly there was a furore over libilous comments and silliness.

thats fine. people do silly things sometimes, and we all say silly things all the time.

the fact is, there is a new moderator here. after reading the thread on the feedback forum, i could treat every poster here as a child after reading the rubbish there.
    but im not going to. im going to treat you all like the adults you are.

the fact is that this forum has needed a moderator for a long time. you may disagree. thats ok.

this whole fiasco is a storm in a tea cup. however, since i started and ran the work forum for so many years, i understand that in a forum you get a community of people that post regularly. and i understand that people get upset when things change, or when something comes in to threaten the status of certain posters within the foruma nd community.
    as far as im concerned, this is what has happened here. as someone else mentioned there has been a bit of a clarsh of egos.
    it happens. im sorry about that. in sorry that rooferpete and kadman have left.

what is going to happen now is that delly is going to continue to moderate this forum.

instead of putting together a lynch mob or a posse, id much rather that there was some sensible debate if there is an issue.

kadman actually pm'd me at the start of this complaining bitterly. i asked him to point out what his issues were and what threads were cuasing concern.

he decided that he didnt need to do this, and instead went straight into the usual 'all moderators are power tripping internet nerds' at that point, if someone doesnt want my help, i said that he should take it up withthe mod.
    thats when he decided to leave these forums.
    im happy to post up the pms if people want the proof of this childish behaviour, but id rather not becuase as far as im concerned, the pm stands for private.

as also mentinoed, for some reason, rooferpete decided that he wanted to make some sort of litigious statement, and was instantly site banned. we really dont need that sort of rubbish here.

so, to sum up.

storm in tea cup.

lets move on.

work with the mod and help him out.

is this something we can all do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm very disappointed to have discovered the news today that rooferpete is gone for good. He was a wealth of information and extremely helpful with problems people were having. He always responded to my pm's with clear and professional advice and I learned alot for reading his contributions on the public threads. I realise I am not going to achieve anything by posting my support of the man here but just wanted to put my dissapointment at the whole situation on record.

The gardening / DIY forum has lost some great assets here and has taken an unfortunate step backwards towards an uninformative after hours type forum. I usually read the topics in here with great interest and hopefully the high standard of quality information can somehow be maintained, but loosing such quality posters is a bad turn of events.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement