Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kadman and Rooferpete

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no, is there a problem closing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks for the links, kadman.

Can anyone post a link to the thread that got rooferpete banned?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

no, is there a problem closing it?

Someone else might have a view, comments to make. Its only been open a couple of days.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Theres no need for anyone to threaten legal action against boards its above all that. but rooferpete should be given a chance and definately unbanned hes contributed way too much to not get a second chance. i think people should just stick to diy instead of getting personal.

lomb wrote:
    Theres no need for anyone to threaten legal action against boards its above all that. but rooferpete should be given a chance and definately unbanned hes contributed way too much to not get a second chance. i think people should just stick to diy instead of getting personal.

Hi Lomb,

I agree that the threat of legal action against boards is a serious issue for us all. And have never seen anything like that , in my short time here.

I think your suggestion that Rooferpete should be unbanned , and given a chance to explain what has led him to this type of action is also an important issue that needs to be aired.

Maybe others think that we need to get Rooferpetes side of the story in this whole mess. Why did he feel the need to threaten legal action, only he can answer that.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I came online this evening to make a long and thoughtful post, but if this thread is near dying, maybe I’m making the wrong decision.

First off, I’d like to thank everybody who has made there feelings known whether they be positive or negative towards me, I’ve taken it all on board and will keep them in mind while modding the forum. I am not a tradesperson nor ever gave reason to think so, but I do love getting my head around a bit of DIY as well as a bit of gardening. I’m aware there are lots of tradespersons who give there knowledge here and am grateful for that fact, but there are also a lot of DIYers like myself that have good info to share as well.

I have conveyed my respect to Kadman via PM for the knowledge he has and have never stated otherwise, but the forum has to be for everybody and nobody should get special treatment.

Kadman I would also like remind you of the reason why you sent your first PM to me, as a first time poster was advertising making furniture or windows from eastern Europe. I took the proper action and thanked you for the heads up, yet you make no reference to this mod action, nor the fact that something needed modding. Its only a small point, but at least give some credit where its due. I would also like to thank you for pointing out my action regarding your post was ‘technically correct’ as it may give me some more credibility regarding my actions.

Can I lastly say that of all the things which you say may happen to you like a banning etc., you have only had one post moved to the recycle bin and that’s it, which by normal boards standards is no big deal. I think by now everybody knows how you feel about the situation as you have put it across more than once, so I hope that we can end this tennis match of small corrections and one liners.

kadman wrote:
    I agree that the threat of legal action against boards is a serious issue for us all. And have never seen anything like that , in my short time here.

I think your suggestion that Rooferpete should be unbanned , and given a chance to explain what has led him to this type of action is also an important issue that needs to be aired.

ive never heard or seen anything like it either. boards is just a friendly place to get information and 'get out' for a little bit of day to day. theres no need for anyone to threaten legal action. people have issues over posts, they should get over them.
    i could understand rooferpete getting upset over the guy who reakoned that getting a boiler fitted for free for half of what it costs here and has a blog about how boiler fitters are all 'robbers' which they are not obviously. even if this guy is a competitor pretending to be a poster then theres no need for pete to get upset.
    everyone knows that suppliers and fitters have overheads and doing it to some standard means that you have to charge. the blogger has his own view and pete should state his. im with rooferpete on his view of it, but either way no legal action needs to be threatened, this is a diy forum not a place to persue vendettas. rooferpete should be unbanned to state his position, hes contributed loads, and knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Hi I haven't posted on this in a few days, but it's getting out of hand!

I don't think this should be locked because I don't see the mod or White Wash Man answering any straight questions.
    Using quotes is only a tactic to confuse the topic, Kadman has tried all day from what I can see to get straight answers.
    this used to be a great place to come to, great questions and great answers from both Kadman and Rooferpete with great jokes between them and all the other posters but always back to fixing the problem.
    Sometimes the crack between them was enough to lurk for, their not fools loads of message boards would love to have them giving advice and making DIY look simple even rooferpete posted that the boards would go on without him and apologised for not being able to apologise, that takes manners I didn't see a reply from the mod.
    As I said before I have received personalised advice from the lads here via PM about a problem and the advice I got was spot on and problem was solved. Not once did they look for credit on the boards or 'clock up' how many problems they'd solved in order to promote their businesses(or Spam as it has been called here! :rolleyes: ) It looks to me like mods from all around Boards are coming in to attack Kadman, I'm not saying it's a good thing that you back eachother up, but the rest of the members will know something stinks because you don't get people like Pete and Kadman answering questions on a forum they want closed down, so I doubt that's where their motives lie!

Deb

[QUOTE=delly

Kadman I would also like remind you of the reason why you sent your first PM to me, as a first time poster was advertising making furniture or windows from eastern Europe. I took the proper action and thanked you for the heads up, yet you make no reference to this mod action, nor the fact that something needed modding. Its only a small point, but at least give some credit where its due. I would also like to thank you for pointing out my action regarding your post was ‘technically correct’ as it may give me some more credibility regarding my actions.

QUOTE]

Hi Delly,

I would also like to remind you that my pm to you initialy was after you decided intervene at an early stage in The western bloc workers thread.
    As you stated in the thread below , going against the forum charter.

My pm to you regarding the windows thread , was a sarcastic attempt to discover if this was also against the forums charter. Nothing else.

Then in the same pm , you tell me you binned my thread regarding foxtrot oscar, so as not to offend Rooferpete. When I made my upset known to you...you then in another pm said it was spam. How did it get from offensive to spam

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054946868

Yet you made no attempt at discipline early in the Eastern bloc thread. Even though it was getting heated. Western bloc thread was not even off the ground , and you saw fit to question it. In consitent and unfair.

Even though in the Rooferpete Kadman poll , Rooferpete gave you what could be regarded as support in your new modding role, he was subsequently banned with out a right to reply.

He has given countless hours here, above and beyond the large majority of posters here. He has earned the respect of many , and as such I think he has earned the right to be unbanned and explain his reasons for his actions.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I want to see rooferpete unbanned , to explain his side of the story. All I see here today is avoiding the straight foreward questions. Why cant Rooferpete be allowed his right of reply

• Advertisement

Well I think the feeling coming through at the moment is that people still want to post on this thread, there are still some strong feelings at the moment.

I personally dont want to see any one , getting banned, legal action or what ever. Forum used to be an interesting , fun place to visit, varied topics , challenges , and a chance to have an enjoyable hour or two posting with like minded folk.

How did this forum get to a stage where a light hearted humerous post, get turfed into the bin. Are we to expect such stringent controls in the future , if we are this forum will never be the same.

There are plenty diy topics , that i could give advice on for the posters here, indee I could even recommend some excellent diy books for their perusal.
    But in all fairness I would n't know where to start in books relating to human psychology or human understanding , I wish I could

kadman

i think humans are territorial animals and if someone threatens their living they go somewhat crazy, ive suffered from that also admittedly, anyway bring back rooferpete and lets get along and get back to sharing ideas on diy and construction:D

The way I see it at the moment this fourm is not a nice friendly place to visit at all anymore without the banter of rooferpete and kadman to offer their expert adivce on all situations and their areas of trade e.g. roofing and joinery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

kadman wrote:
    Yet you made no attempt at discipline early in the Eastern bloc thread. Even though it was getting heated.
    kadman

In fairness it was only yourself and RooferPete who were getting heated in that thread. That said, i would like to see both of you back. And am sad at the way the forum has gone.

And your right, the mods are on a powertrip most of the time :)

They just dont notice it themselves though.

Delly certainly has / had / is? been on a power trip from the moment he landed here as a mod! The guy has admitted here in the thread somewhere that he is not an expert in any trade and is only a diy'r! Now tell me how he to be a mod when kadman or rooferpete are qualified trades people with expert knowledge in their respective areas?

WWM why cant you give kadman straight answere instead of beating around the bush and trying to avoid his questions? You also admit to not being a mod here but you appear in my view to be trying to act like a mod at the moment in this thread especially when you wanted to close the thread..? why?

You probably dont mean to come across like that or realise that you are but I feel you are strontly coming across like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I support the stand taken by WWM, and yes this is supposed to be a DIY Forum but seems to be railroaded by rants.

To facilitate the rant movement, take the topic out of DIY and give us the genuine DIY enthusiast some clarity and scope to exchange DIY comments/tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You don't have to be qualified in an area to mod a forum on it.
    You do have to be able to make judgements calls and act on them.
    IF the judgement calls are the right ones then the mod will be back by the catmod , the smods and the site admin.

Thus far the Cat mod Whitewashman and Gordon the smod are in agreeance with the actions of Delly.
    If you want to take this matter further then do so in the correct place to get the site admins ( the owners of this site ) to review the site and forum ban.
    That place would be the feedback forum there is a thread there on this matter already.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054951241

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

and get into selective quoting of your posts - I wouldn't bother galwaydude18!!

The Feedback forum seems to be about mods defending other mods - it has nothing to do with taking feedback and doing something with it :rolleyes:

P

what do you mean by "and get into selective quoting of your posts - I wouldn't bother galwaydude18!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

You're right Debracd, something stinks. Banning Pete after his level-headed, almost conciliatory, post - beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Incidentally, I think this poll is slightly tainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Gordon wrote:
    Incidentally, I think this poll is slightly tainted.

o_0

Yes Gordon.. and you'll find I'm in his friends list and has been discussed on the site before!

It doesn't mean that what I've said here is in any way untrue! The best way to contact pete IS here.. because this is where he gives his best advice!

Deb

All I meant by that was that the poll doesn't give an accurate representation of the views of the regulars on this forum.

This is why the admins don't bother looking at polls as they are easily tainted.

Debracd wrote:
    Yes Gordon.. and you'll find I'm in his friends list and has been discussed on the site before!

It doesn't mean that what I've said here is in any way untrue! The best way to contact pete IS here.. because this is where he gives his best advice!

Deb

Or makes him easily contactible for those what want to use his services....

I think you'll find that most of MY posts on boards are on this forum. And the only people who voted were those who were already regulars and had received advice from the lads(as they posted on the board).

Anyway.. I have a feeling I'm fighting a losing battle and I have to get the kids to school in the morning! lol

As I said before, we all say things out of frustration.. I'd imagine that that's how the 'theat' came about.

Deb

Debracd wrote:
    As I said before, we all say things out of frustration.. I'd imagine that that's how the 'theat' came about.
    So we can say whatever we like 'out of frustration' and because it's out of frustration it's ok? Not here it's not.

Well he will have to convience the site owners about how throw away the threath was and then if they want him here on thier site.

Gordon wrote:
    So we can say whatever we like 'out of frustration' and because it's out of frustration it's ok? Not here it's not.

Well I never said it was ok, but it is a naturally human to REACT!

Thead, replied to you in the other thread. I'll pass that info on if wants to go that way!

Deb

• Advertisement

Debracd wrote:
    Well I never said it was ok, but it is a naturally human to REACT!
    So all reactions are ok?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement