Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire configuration for BB

• 22-06-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Maybe some one could in lighten me, was around at the mates house who has had his BB since eircom were doing the free tests.The thing is he wants to do some rewiring but the way his BB was installed he is afraid he will disconnect it. Basically in my house the eircom line comes into the house and into the master outlet(in the hall) and only uses two wires out of a possible 6 I think. In my case its dark blue/white and light blue/white and from the master socket it loops onto other rooms in the house,a total of 4 all using the same wire config. When I signed up for BB and they hook me up in the exchange I could plug my modem into any outlet in the house and it was live for dsl.

In the mates house the master outlet is in the bedroom upstairs so the techy guy took off the master outlet and put on one of those bulky white boxes with two outlets on it, one with a little picture of a pc and the other of a phone.So now the cable comes out of this box and continues on down stairs to the rest of the phones which all seem to be wired like mine(dark blue/white and light blue/white).But the phone outlet that also serves the pc for the dsl, the guy drilled a small hole in the side of the box and ran a cable out which then plugs in to the back of his modem. When you crack open this outlet you have the normal two blues feeding the phone outlet for the voice but the cable coming out of the side is wired up to the two oranges inside. So its like he has the dsl running on the orange pair and the voice as normal running on the blue pair.But yet when you trace back the orange pair back up to the master outlet where the cable comes into the house there is only the two blues hooked up to the out side cable.

So am I correct in saying that dsl runs on the same two pairs as your voice(dark and light blue). I know the freebie was about five years ago but was it wired different then?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cubix wrote:
    So am I correct in saying that dsl runs on the same two pairs as your voice
    Yes. Basically the box the tech installed just splits the incomming line to the 2 outlets on the faceplate. Ther may be a DSL filter built into the box on the phone outlet side but regardless, everything comes in on the same pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Strange one. The DSL is on the exact same pair of wires as the voice yes, the only difference is the voice lines need to be filtered whereas the DSL is left unfiltered. I'd guess there is a filter/splitter somewhere in the system and the engineer connected the orange pair to the unfiltered side and the blue pair to the filtered side. That bulky white box sounds like it might be the filter/splitter, though I've never seen one like this.

If all the blue pair wires around the house are coming from a filtered socket somewhere then you can't connect a DSL modem to any of these. It can only be connected to the unfiltered line (the orange pair presumably).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for that lads;)

Cubix

Advertisement