Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda & expired NCT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

junkyard wrote:
    I have never NCT tested any of my cars and have no intention of doing so unless its made absolute law.
    It already is, it's just not enforced, like so many other worthy and equaly valid laws.
    All my cars are serviced regularly, have good tyres and are well cared for.
    They might well be, I personally have no way of telling, but that's not the point, just like it's not the point that someone who hasn't passed their test might be a really good driver. The point is that I, as a fellow driver, would like some degree of confidence that the other cars sharing the road with me are in a roadworthy condition. It's not practical for me to stop and interview every other motorist on the roads to determine whether he or she is fully qualified mechanic before I venture onto the roads, so that's why we have the NCT.
    The NCT is just another scam in this rip-off land.:mad:
    What, like every other EU country that has an equivalent scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Alun wrote:
    They might well be, I personally have no way of telling, but that's not the point, just like it's not the point that someone who hasn't passed their test might be a really good driver. The point is that I, as a fellow driver, would like some degree of confidence that the other cars sharing the road with me are in a roadworthy condition. It's not practical for me to stop and interview every other motorist on the roads to determine whether he or she is fully qualified mechanic before I venture onto the roads, so that's why we have the NCT.

Here here, at last we see an adults opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I may be able to shed some light on this 'NCT and TAX' debate. I taxed my car yesterday but I'd lost the posted tax renewal form so I filled one in in the tax office. The form I filled in yesterday was slightly different to any I'd filled in before and it was just like the one Seamus posted here. I left the NCT section blank (having never had to fill it in before as it was for a cert of roadworthyness) and I wasn't asked for the cert or details either. Perhaps these were old forms on the shelf and it's the new ones that don't need the NCT cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The NCT is only there to make sure that people keep their car in road worthy condition. If everyone serviced their car on a regular basis and maintained their tyres there would be no need for it. If people were more responsible for their actions there would be no need for a lot of the laws we have. My gripe is why should we have to comply and pay for things when we look after what we have. I pay to get my car serviced regularly so why should I have to pay someone to tell me that my car is roadworthy. I my opinion I'll end up paying another tax because some incompetent couldn't be ar**d to look after his/her car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

junkyard wrote:
    If everyone serviced their car on a regular basis and maintained their tyres there would be no need for it. If people were more responsible for their actions there would be no need for a lot of the laws we have.
    Well, you've kind of answered your own question there. If (and it's a big "if") everyone was as responsible as you apparently are, then no, the NCT and a whole lot of other laws and regulations wouldn't be necessary, but as is blindingly obvious, amongst others from reading these forums, they aren't, so you and I, and all the other conscientious law abiding citizens have to suffer for it. Tough, but hey, that's life. Some people complain about the encroaching "nanny state", but unfortunately seeing as a significant number of people insist on behaving like screaming, whinging little kids, then maybe they actually need "nannying". If they grew up and took responsibility for their own actions and how they affect the lives of other people then maybe we could get rod of some of these regulations, but I'm not holding my breath.

Alun wrote:
    Well, you've kind of answered your own question there. If (and it's a big "if") everyone was as responsible as you apparently are, then no, the NCT and a whole lot of other laws and regulations wouldn't be necessary, but as is blindingly obvious, amongst others from reading these forums, they aren't, so you and I, and all the other conscientious law abiding citizens have to suffer for it. Tough, but hey, that's life. Some people complain about the encroaching "nanny state", but unfortunately seeing as a significant number of people insist on behaving like screaming, whinging little kids, then maybe they actually need "nannying". If they grew up and took responsibility for their own actions and how they affect the lives of other people then maybe we could get rod of some of these regulations, but I'm not holding my breath.

So true, it just p***es me off that when you keep your own nose clean you still end up paying for some other f**kers mistakes.:(

junkyard wrote:
    So true, it just p***es me off that when you keep your own nose clean you still end up paying for some other f**kers mistakes.:(

Like the OP who thinks its ok to drive around with no NCT and the car not road worthy. It because of people like this we had to invent the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Big Nelly wrote:
    So you want our roads full of banger with no brakes etc so more people get killed. Why don't you grow up and act like an adult. I know when I go out on the road I want to be sure the cars that are on the road with me are capable of actually driving/stopping etc.

What percentage of road accidents were due to the condition of the car pre NCT testing? And what is the percentage now?

I'm not concerend about the condition of any car on the road... The person behind the wheel is the one you need to concern yourself about.

Don't lose the run of yourself over an issue of little impact to road safety.

What percentage of road accidents were due to the condition of the car pre NCT testing? And what is the percentage now?

I'm not concerend about the condition of any car on the road... The person behind the wheel is the one you need to concern yourself about.

If your brakes arnt working correctly, you have bald tyres etc you are more likely to have an accident. Maybe you think it is ok to be on a road with a car with bald tyres and bad brakes but I dont

• Advertisement

You could put Sterling Moss in a dangerous car i.e. bad brakes and tyres, and he'd find it hard to control. I wouldn't agree with you not being concerned about the condition of any car on the road there SonOfPerdition. It is vital that a car is in roadworthy condition.

Big Nelly wrote:
    If your brakes arnt working correctly, you have bald tyres etc you are more likely to have an accident. Maybe you think it is ok to be on a road with a car with bald tyres and bad brakes but I dont

I'll ask again.

provide statistics on the contribution of road worthiness of cars to accident rates pre and post NCT testing.

Please provide sources for your information.

Or .. admit you haven't a clue.

Cheers.

junkyard wrote:
    You could put Sterling Moss in a dangerous car i.e. bad brakes and tyres, and he'd find it hard to control. I wouldn't agree with you not being concerned about the condition of any car on the road there SonOfPerdition. It is vital that a car is in roadworthy condition.

Hi Junkyard, please see my reply to BigNelly .

I'd like to difinitevely know how safer the roads are since NCT testing was introduced.

I'll be convinced that its a serious issue if someone can prove it to me.

Thanks.

I'm sure the statistics are there as regards road safety. You can't honestly expect a car with dodgy brakes and tyres to be as safe as a car with good brakes and tyres can you?:confused:

I'll ask again.

provide statistics on the contribution of road worthiness of cars to accident rates pre and post NCT testing.

Please provide sources for your information.

Or .. admit you haven't a clue.

Cheers.

You havent a clue either, just argueing for the sake of it, do you think a car on the road that is no road worthy is safer than a newly serviced car. If so I am argueing with a .......(no personal abuse allowed:p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Big Nelly wrote:
    So you want our roads full of banger with no brakes etc so more people get killed. Why don't you grow up and act like an adult. I know when I go out on the road I want to be sure the cars that are on the road with me are capable of actually driving/stopping etc.

Do you know how they test your brakes? They put your car on rollers and jam the brakes to see how long it takes to stop, oh and they see if your disks and pads are ok. My mechanics check disks and pads and cables when I get my car serviced which is far more often then I do an NCT. As a driver, I can tell if my brakes are feeling a little spongey also.

Finally to add, I can easily check if my tyres are bald.

If you service your car a decent mechanic will tell you whats wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rang the Dublin motor tax office. You do not need a current NCT cert to tax your car.

Not your ornery onager

layke wrote:
    Do you know how they test your brakes? They put your car on rollers and jam the brakes to see how long it takes to stop, oh and they see if your disks and pads are ok. My mechanics check disks and pads and cables when I get my car serviced which is far more often then I do an NCT. As a driver, I can tell if my brakes are feeling a little spongey also.

Finally to add, I can easily check if my tyres are bald.

If you service your car a decent mechanic will tell you whats wrong with it.

God your great, yes I do all the same but seeing as there is an NCT test and the originally poster cant be bothered to get his car fixed for that can you imagine the state of the car if he didnt need to test it. It would prob never be serviced till the day the engine falls out of the bottom of it. AAnd about brakes if you drive in Dublin city centre about every 10 car when they brake you will hear metal off metal. They havent changed the brake pads and thats with having to do an NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

seamus wrote:

That's an old version from when you had to have an NCT to Tax a car. Here's one from the Horse's Mouth so to speak...

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

Big Nelly wrote:
    You havent a clue either, just argueing for the sake of it, do you think a car on the road that is no road worthy is safer than a newly serviced car. If so I am argueing with a .......(no personal abuse allowed:p )

So you want our roads full of banger with no brakes etc so more people get killed.

i'm still waiting for you to provide the information of how many people are/were killed by bangers.

i'm not arguing for the sake of it . .i'm asking you to provide a source for your claims.

Don't worry about holding back the insults .. i need a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

jhegarty wrote:
    Good idea, what this country needs is more uninsured drivers going around....

Well technically an insurance company can refuse to payout if your car isn't what you stated in the policy (roadworthy) when getting insurance and if it has no NCT, they can claim the car was not roadworthy and could refuse to pay out. So in those circumstances, you're driving around uninsured anyway.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Hi Junkyard, please see my reply to BigNelly .

I'd like to difinitevely know how safer the roads are since NCT testing was introduced.

I'll be convinced that its a serious issue if someone can prove it to me.
    I don't think it can be proved. Because investigation of the causes of RTAs in this country is dodgy at best. And in any case it would not be an easy thing to determine. I have read some wildly varying stats and opinions on the contribution of vehicle condition to a road accidents.

However one figure I read was from a UK source and suggested that in 3% of crashes the condition of the vehicle was a significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Well technically an insurance company can refuse to payout if your car isn't what you stated in the policy (roadworthy) when getting insurance and if it has no NCT, they can claim the car was not roadworthy and could refuse to pay out. So in those circumstances, you're driving around uninsured anyway.

Tox

if your car isn't roadworth and you hit me, your insurace company might go after you for the money but they have to pay me for my claim... and thats all i care about....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Big Nelly wrote:
    If you crash and you dont have a valid NCT the insurance company do not have to pay out to you because the vehicle is not road worthy. Insurance company told my uncle that years ago when he was a month over the NCT, never received letter for date and didnt know he had to book himself. Rang insurance to find out story and they told him that.

Are you having a laugh ?

That is just typical of the sort of sh*** that insurance company muppets hand out these days because they are so glib and incompetent.

The fact that a vehicle does not have a current NCT certificate is NO proof that it is unroadworthy. The absence of a current NCT cert only proves the absence of a current NCT certificate and nothing else !

I hope that your uncle did something about it as that is a virtually fraudulent piece of lazy evasion by the insurance company in question. Even though time has passed that should still be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Big Nelly wrote:
    If you cant pay for an NCT then dont drive the car!! simple as that! this just shows the usual Irish atitude, break the law and drive a banger around and complain because the Garda are not doing you, then when you get stopped there will be another thread complaining about the Garda "atitude" towards you. Grow up and act like an adult will you. If your driving a banger that cant pass the NCT then it shouldnt be on the road. End of Story. Fix it up, pass the NCT and then drive again. NCT is there to make sure the car is road worthy, plainly yours isnt!

I can't pay for repairs needed to pass NCT, not the NCT itself. Estimates are just too much for me to handle it at this moment. I will, however, have this done, as soon as I can, as I feel uncomfortable driving without all legal (theoretical) requiremets. I'm not complaining at guards, just curious of their behaviour. I'm not driving a banger, it's a '00 Astra, failed NCT because of 'sharp edges', as they've called a huge scratch / dent near my back left wheel.
    And finally, stop shouting about the usual Irish attitude 'cause I'm not Irish anyway :P

At least put some tape over the sharp edges, someone could rip them selves open as a result of them...just for your own sake, I'm not getting at you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AFAIK, an insurance company may dispute the value of your car if it has no NCT and you are claiming for damage to it under a comp or FT policy. This has nothing to do with your insurance itself - it is still valid.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I had a claim for a front bumper (after I tapped someone) and QUINN went all out to try and avoid buying a new bumper insisting it could be repaired (tiny plastic bracket on back was snapped). Eventually agreed to buy the bumper after the repair garage adjusted labour costs slightly. I had no NCT on the car, and they never used this as a reason to get out of the claim. Car was in perfect condition however. If it was a shipbox Im sure they would not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This thread is 2 1/2 years old.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement